cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DROPPED IT

retired-tech
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have joined the club. Pulled out yesterday and while straightening out the trailer became detached. the box on the old truck is wasted. I was wondering what kind of damage others have seen on the trailer after a similar incident.
2014 North Country teardrop in wood
2009 Cougar 320 SRX
60 REPLIES 60

bad99ram
Explorer
Explorer
oldbeek wrote:
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
I drove truck for 17 years, and I have had a 5er for 3 years. I have never dropped a trailer. After you back into the hitch, get out and look at the connection before you move. No exceptions. That will avoid "high hitching", hitches not locked, etc. I also do not do a pull test. I do a visual inspection.

This doesn't have to happen, but it does take a little extra effort on your part. Literally, it takes 10 seconds. Also, you might need a flashlight to be able to see the connection good.

I am sorry you have to go through this, but if you learn from it and no one got hurt, it isn't all bad.
X2

X3

greende
Explorer
Explorer
Did mine a couple of months ago only not in the usual way. You know how people say you have to pay attention to detail, have a set-up procedure and stick to it? Well, I must have missed that one. We came home from a trip and I backed the 5er into it's spot. It is on a slight side hill so I put a board under the left wheels. I started the landing gear down then decided to unhook the breakaway and take the pin out of the handle. For some stupid reason, I thought "while I'm here, I'll just pull the handle". The trailer rolled back a little and since I did not have the landing gear all the way down, it slid onto the truck. Fortunately just a scuff. It's chocked all the time now......
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

TOOBOLD
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the exclusive club! We were lucky that the tailgate took the hit. DH went to set up before I got done with dad's doctor appointment and didn't quite follow our list. I got the dredded call, but didn't say anything he was beating himself up already.

oldbeek
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
I drove truck for 17 years, and I have had a 5er for 3 years. I have never dropped a trailer. After you back into the hitch, get out and look at the connection before you move. No exceptions. That will avoid "high hitching", hitches not locked, etc. I also do not do a pull test. I do a visual inspection.

This doesn't have to happen, but it does take a little extra effort on your part. Literally, it takes 10 seconds. Also, you might need a flashlight to be able to see the connection good.

I am sorry you have to go through this, but if you learn from it and no one got hurt, it isn't all bad.
X2
1994 27sl Alpenlite with many mods, 2001 Dodge Cummins 2x4 3.54 Auto trans built shift kit and 2nd gear lock up mod. Mojave Green billet, triple disc low stall torque converter. Gauges and raptor 3/8inch fuel system. 12.5 mpg avg

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Outdoorlovers:

Dropped 5vr....what happens when king pin is not latched into hitch properly and then when truck pulls forward 5'vr comes unhitched and drops onto bed of truck..usually crushing the side walls.

***Wheels chocks.....first thing ON last thing OFF***
*Then raise/lower 5'vr via front landing legs so that king pin plate is lower than plate on hitch
*Back into hitch.....it will slide up plate and into slot (prevents high hitching---king pin to high, hitch jaws close under/around large portion of king pin and will not stay latched)
*Visually check that king pin is in slot, jaws are closed around king pin and hitch lever/handle is closed
*Raise front landing legs until they are about an inch off ground.
*Hookup trailer umbilical cord to truck
*Hookup trailer emergency brake cable
*Then try to move truck forward just enough to pull on 5vr king pin in hitch....use brake controller manual lever to engage trailer brakes. This will test that 5'vr is hitched and locked into hitch
*Fully retract front landing legs
*Check lights on truck & trailer
*Do a last check walk around of trailer and remove wheel chocks

Hop in truck..toot your horn....wave goodbye and go camping (or if heading back home....wipe the tears from your eyes. There's always next time)

If I missed any important steps I'm sure someone will chime in.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought the number one rule for 5th wheels is leave the landing gear down just enough to clear the bed of the truck and do a test pull so what you did doesn't happen.

outdoorlovers
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, we're picking up our first FW next week. I don't know what any of you are talking about - dropping, etc? Could someone give me a quick in-service? Thanks
2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed, 4X4, tow package
2014 Jayco FW Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
Yamaha EF2400iS gen

turbopilot51
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, been there and done that. Really leaves a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach. Right after my incident I purchased a Blue Ox BedSaver. I figure the $250.00 price is cheap insurance.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup.:R I was moving the fifth wheel to a different spot in the yard, removed the chocks, made sure everything was clear and pulled forward. CRASH!!!Sumdumguy fergot to latch the hitch.

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
SIGH! I had to delete what I had originally started with - can't have the Mods angry at me (again)! Yeah, I dropped mine a couple of weeks ago, backing into the pin. Yes, the wheels were chocked - just not well enough. No one to blame but myself. Truck damage was minimal. RV damage was primarily restricted to the bedroom closet, busted the clothes rod and shook stuff up pretty good. There is likely other damage however it has not revealed itself yet nor have I been able to uncover it through my rudimentary examinations.

There are those who have and those who have yet to - it happens to all of us at one time or another.

Cheers!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

retired-tech
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it was the fifth wheel. there is not much visible damage to the trailer. The trailer was latched, and we pulled it quite a hill to get out of the drive just before it came down. The flip over catch that holds the handle of the reese 15k was forced up by the handle as it went by.

the worst part is really that I tow with about 12" between the box and trailer so it had a long way to fall, and it hit hard.
2014 North Country teardrop in wood
2009 Cougar 320 SRX

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Typically the 5'vrs usually have minimal damage when dropped onto truck bed.
The overhang cover might get cracked and possibly some side wall cracking.

BUT majority of damage is to the truck bed side walls from 2000-3000# being slammed down on them
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
The previous owner of my dually must have done it once. There is one side crunched on my truck. A tailgate will never fit the truck again.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow sorry to hear of your miss fortune. The crushing of the bed may have saved some damage on the 5er. What is visible?
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"