cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DROPPED IT

retired-tech
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have joined the club. Pulled out yesterday and while straightening out the trailer became detached. the box on the old truck is wasted. I was wondering what kind of damage others have seen on the trailer after a similar incident.
2014 North Country teardrop in wood
2009 Cougar 320 SRX
60 REPLIES 60

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dixon Mark wrote:
I will admit it I did it once. I had just pulled into my spot at the campground late I might add. My friends came over and were talking to me I got out of my routine put the landing gear down on the blocks pulled the pin and watch the trailer slide back until it hit the ground. luck for me I had the landing gear down and not enough damage to worry about on the truck and none to the rv. But my ego was crushed.

Yes getting out of routine is NOT GOOD! Forgot to pull my power cord when I started tailing to my Sis and drove off pulling the water and power pole over as I drove off. Sparks and water were flying!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Dixon_Mark
Explorer
Explorer
I will admit it I did it once. I had just pulled into my spot at the campground late I might add. My friends came over and were talking to me I got out of my routine put the landing gear down on the blocks pulled the pin and watch the trailer slide back until it hit the ground. luck for me I had the landing gear down and not enough damage to worry about on the truck and none to the rv. But my ego was crushed.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
SpoiledRotten wrote:

AFTER

Simple cut and re-drill the cotter pin hole.

I like that. I think I'm putting that on my to do list.

Took all of about 10 minutes to do! Best improvement to the Reese, I noticed a 2' scuff/scrape and figured got off lucky once, fix it NOW!

X2. I did this to our Reese 15k dual jaw hitch after seeing a previous post of rhagfo's.
Just as easy as he says.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
great idea rfago

I am gonna do that.

I kinda always thought that those handles sticking up in the air were a flaunt it deal, like the kahonies hanging off the trailer hitch. :W

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I must have missed something! I don't get it.

Before and after Pics at the top of page #5 explains it all.
I did the mod onmy '97 Reese hitch when new. Guess Reese thinks folks camp on leveled pads. We camp on all all types of sites some are primitive some are leveled and some we make our own.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
SpoiledRotten wrote:

AFTER

Took all of about 10 minutes to do! Best improvement to the Reese, I noticed a 2' scuff/scrape and figured got off lucky once, fix it NOW!

I must have missed something! I don't get it.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
SpoiledRotten wrote:

AFTER

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
up2nogood wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Ric Flair wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the B&W hitches are less prone to this. If there's weight on the hitch it won't unlock. At least mine is that way.
Yes and no. If you've pulled the handle, even with weight on the hitch it can be pulled from under the 5th wheel. However, if the handle has snapped forward when you've engaged the jaws, then you're good to go. Just don't forget to put the pin in the handle so someone doesn't pull it when you're not around.

And don't pin the handle in the open position. That's about the only way you can drop your trailer with a B&W hitch. It's a pretty foolproof hitch.

No different then the Reese ,never tried to release the handle when the weight is on it, but then never seen the need, I always take the weight off before releasing the handle. Made this point before, but will again, I CANNOT lock my handle open, it catches in the open position but closes when backed into. Hard to figure out why the B&W can be locked in the open position . Yup mine is also fool proof until it isn't, just like the B&W .
I'll have to admit that I also don't understand why there is the ability to pin the B&W hitch open. I didn't even know it until someone posted that they had pinned their hitch open and subsequently dropped their trailer when they pulled away without realizing they had left the handle pinned open.

But some still seem to think it is foolproof, Oh well .

SpoiledRotten
Explorer
Explorer

AFTER

Just the 3 of us...SpoiledRotten, TotallyRotten, and ALittleRotten
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC
7.3 PSTD-Superchipped
2005 33RL2 New Vision - AKA "SpoiledRotten"
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition

SpoiledRotten
Explorer
Explorer
I took the advice several years ago and bought a bed saver to keep that from happening. I haven't dropped the 5er and been able to use the bed saver, but I'm not wanting to try it out, either.

Like life insurance. You like it in place but you're in no hurry to see if it's good.
Just the 3 of us...SpoiledRotten, TotallyRotten, and ALittleRotten
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC
7.3 PSTD-Superchipped
2005 33RL2 New Vision - AKA "SpoiledRotten"
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition

Daddy_Bear
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard it said and have read it here sveral times "There are two types of fifth wheel owners....those who have dropped there fifth wheels and those that have not YET dropped there fifth wheels".

I have owned a fifth wheel for 26 years and was one of those who said it will NEVER EVER NEVER happen to me! I have always followed a strick hitching routine that includes listening for the spring to close, getting out and visually inspecting the slide bar and actually physically pushing the lock handle to make sure it is closed completely. The one time a distraction happens and I fail to follow my routing IT HAPPENED! Luckily for me the 5'vr was not hurt and it cost me a tailgate...thats it!

So for those who so boldly say "never to me"....not saying it will, hoping it don't...but keep us posted!
Drew, Lora & our two boys
Sophie our Toller
2016 Chevy CC, LTZ, LB, W/ Duramax & Allison, B&W Turnover ball and Companion fifth wheel hitch
2015 Grand Design Momentum 328m Toy Hauler
Renology 300W solar
Honda 2000i

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Husky and it has a notch on the handle to hold it open. As soon as the kingpin touches the front of the hitch it releases the handle and the assembly rotates and locks. Makes a nice solid thunk too.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

greende
Explorer
Explorer
720Deere wrote:
The B&W has the hole to pin the handle open because the hitch has such a tendency to want to stay closed that it sometimes won't release if you just pull the handle and then try to pull out. My son likes to pin the handle open and I always scold him for it. Even if you just sit the pin in the hole, the handle won't jump over the pin and the jaws won't engage when you back into the trailer. I have been tempted to weld the darn hole shut to avoid that problem!

Early on, I used to pin mine open then realized the same as you that I may forget to unpin it. The B&W will stay partially open on it's own. I now do this and when I see the handle snap shut, I know it's seated and I can get out of the truck and do my checklist.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
The B&W has the hole to pin the handle open because the hitch has such a tendency to want to stay closed that it sometimes won't release if you just pull the handle and then try to pull out. My son likes to pin the handle open and I always scold him for it. Even if you just sit the pin in the hole, the handle won't jump over the pin and the jaws won't engage when you back into the trailer. I have been tempted to weld the darn hole shut to avoid that problem!
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog