cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DRW or SRW

moman1
Explorer
Explorer
I've read a lot of topics on here about how safe (or not safe) it is to pull a trailer that is close to the max towing capacity of the truck. What I'd like to read here is actual experience (not opinions) of those that are towing close to their limits. Here's why: I'm looking at getting into a Fuzion 422 Chrome. The tow vehicle I get is going to be my daily driver. I really don't want to drive a dually as a daily driver. The max capacity of the 2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW is 17,100 lbs. The Fuzion with fuel, fresh water and toys is going to be right at 17k lbs. Does anyone have any similar experiences? Again, I realize a dually would be more stable. I also know these trucks are much more capable than what the limits may say.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin
80 REPLIES 80

Frankandbeans
Explorer
Explorer
You'll chew up your rear tires quickly with a SRW and a heavy 5th wheel. I put on a new set of tires, and in 5k miles, the rear tires were more chewed up than the front ones.

I still have no idea why you'd even consider a SRW, if money is, within reason, not an object, as it looks like you're buying new, or almost new anyways. I never felt unsafe with my SRW, but mine was only 32' and 14k gvwr. I did have it over loaded, at 15k once, and still towed fine. It was noticeable on entrance/exit ramps, you could feel the rear tire squirm, no doubt that wouldn't be there with a DRW.

And the bridge abutments they talk about are no joke, no way your passengers can sleep through those when you drive over them with a SRW.

Bedlam
The 19.5's have very stiff sidewalls making them great tow/haul tires, but they do not flatten when aired down. If you frequent soft sand where you need flotation, this is where these tires do poorly - They will dig down instead of float on top of soft sand. They do well in wet, mud and snow based on the tread you choose.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

moman1
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
Bedlam...Nice Ram and the wheels do look good and im certain they serve the purpose for your application. For me the 17" that came on my 350drw work fine for now as I am not even close to using half my gvwr.

Taken, I suspect ford eliminated the heavy tow on the F350drw because it might have been cutting into the F450 territory. It will be interesting see the 2017 models.

OP...for me I feel the move from a SRW to DRW with a 5th wheel is worth it!

Thanks. I'm leaning that way. I just found a Ram 3500 DRW Laramie with 60k miles for $38k. This might just be the one.

moman1
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
taken wrote:
They add stability and longevity but the OEM Contis are HORRIBLE in the snow. The Toyo M920 is about as aggressive as you can get and still run on the steer axle. More aggressive and you get excessive noise, wandering, and vibration. The Conti HSR that come on the drive and steer axles of a 450 are steer tires so smooth all around to keep the truck from having these issues but in making that compromise, Ford gave up all traction.

My Ram 5500 came with the Continental HSR's up front, but the HDR's in the rear. HDR's up front were an option, but I like this mixed combination. I had the DynaTrac PD890's on my F250 and the front made too much noise for me, but I didn't have wandering issues. I only have about a dozen days of snow driving on the Continentals and cannot complain about traction, but my truck is typically loaded at 15K lbs GVW. My F250 was 11.5-12.5K lbs GVW with the DynaTracs.

The 19.5" commercials are a world of difference to a 20" LT tire. I think you go to a 20" for looks or height, but there's no question you go to 19.5" for durability and weight capacity.

Past:

Present:

Most of my camping is dry camping off road. So I'm looking for the durability certainly.

moman1
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
moman1 wrote:
lincster wrote:
moman1 wrote:
lincster wrote:
I always get a kick out of folks that will wait to see the answer they want to hear and then acknowledge that one....

If you already have your mind made up against a dually, then why post?

I don't have my mind made up yet. I have to use the equity in my current truck to get out of my MH. So I'm trying to decide between a used special purpose dually with another livable daily driver truck or a really nice SRW brand new Denali 3500 that can be dual purpose. I'm just responding to the ones that share what I asked for. I asked for real experiences, not advice. So to all of those that shared their advice, thank you and no offense intended. I welcome the advice since I'm new to a fifth wheel. But, I'm mostly interested in the experiences. So why do you feel the need to troll? What's it to you?

Troll???? That is the funniest thing I have heard in a while. Check my history with this sight. I am the furthest thing from a troll. I have been preaching and giving real examples of weights and loads etc for years.

That comment just shows how little you know about the toy hauler forum.

Good observation there Captain Obvious. I already stated I'm new. And yes, if you make a comment the way you did that only criticizes, adds nothing constructive to the thread itself, and only offends someone based on assumptions, you are a troll. Why make a statement on this thread like you did above when there is absolutely zero to gain? If you have nothing to add, simply move on to another thread.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA. You can't even follow your own thread and comments.

Back a couple of pages, you actually THANKED ME for giving real world advice. Now because you focus on one post, you call me names......

Try to keep up.

Yes I did. And I meant it. But then you had to troll and make an accusatory comment that contributed nothing to the thread. That's trolling. Did it benefit you to do make that comment? Then why do it? You still haven't answered that question. And now, you're still taking focus off the purpose of the thread to troll. I'm done with this distraction and you're obviously not going to let it go. So, make your comments as you wish and I'll just choose to ignore the ones that are not constructive. Deal?

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam...Nice Ram and the wheels do look good and im certain they serve the purpose for your application. For me the 17" that came on my 350drw work fine for now as I am not even close to using half my gvwr.

Taken, I suspect ford eliminated the heavy tow on the F350drw because it might have been cutting into the F450 territory. It will be interesting see the 2017 models.

OP...for me I feel the move from a SRW to DRW with a 5th wheel is worth it!
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Bedlam
1jeep wrote:
if you want the 19.5" that badly many guys add them after to their dually's, the bigger wheels do give the truck that big rig look. It just wasn't what I was after.

This is my buddy's F350 with 19.5's and a truck camper that weighs almost 6000 lbs. He's looking into a Dana 110 or 130 axle swap from his current 80.

Bedlam
taken wrote:
They add stability and longevity but the OEM Contis are HORRIBLE in the snow. The Toyo M920 is about as aggressive as you can get and still run on the steer axle. More aggressive and you get excessive noise, wandering, and vibration. The Conti HSR that come on the drive and steer axles of a 450 are steer tires so smooth all around to keep the truck from having these issues but in making that compromise, Ford gave up all traction.

My Ram 5500 came with the Continental HSR's up front, but the HDR's in the rear. HDR's up front were an option, but I like this mixed combination. I had the DynaTrac PD890's on my F250 and the front made too much noise for me, but I didn't have wandering issues. I only have about a dozen days of snow driving on the Continentals and cannot complain about traction, but my truck is typically loaded at 15K lbs GVW. My F250 was 11.5-12.5K lbs GVW with the DynaTracs.

The 19.5" commercials are a world of difference to a 20" LT tire. I think you go to a 20" for looks or height, but there's no question you go to 19.5" for durability and weight capacity.

Past:

Present:

taken
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
if you want the 19.5" that badly many guys add them after to their dually's, the bigger wheels do give the truck that big rig look. It just wasn't what I was after.

I'm not after the look specifically. It's just an added bonus. Yes, you can add 19.5's to a 350. You can also go with some stock looking 20" and stay with AT tires which is the way I'd go if I were to do a DRW 350. But without the wide track axle option for 2017, it's a 450 for me.
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
moman1 wrote:
lincster wrote:
moman1 wrote:
lincster wrote:
I always get a kick out of folks that will wait to see the answer they want to hear and then acknowledge that one....

If you already have your mind made up against a dually, then why post?

I don't have my mind made up yet. I have to use the equity in my current truck to get out of my MH. So I'm trying to decide between a used special purpose dually with another livable daily driver truck or a really nice SRW brand new Denali 3500 that can be dual purpose. I'm just responding to the ones that share what I asked for. I asked for real experiences, not advice. So to all of those that shared their advice, thank you and no offense intended. I welcome the advice since I'm new to a fifth wheel. But, I'm mostly interested in the experiences. So why do you feel the need to troll? What's it to you?

Troll???? That is the funniest thing I have heard in a while. Check my history with this sight. I am the furthest thing from a troll. I have been preaching and giving real examples of weights and loads etc for years.

That comment just shows how little you know about the toy hauler forum.

Good observation there Captain Obvious. I already stated I'm new. And yes, if you make a comment the way you did that only criticizes, adds nothing constructive to the thread itself, and only offends someone based on assumptions, you are a troll. Why make a statement on this thread like you did above when there is absolutely zero to gain? If you have nothing to add, simply move on to another thread.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA. You can't even follow your own thread and comments.

Back a couple of pages, you actually THANKED ME for giving real world advice. Now because you focus on one post, you call me names......

Try to keep up.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
crazybanshee wrote:
Lincster I have a question for you. How can we get a beating a horse to death icon for this site?:S

that would be AWESOME!!! I'm surprised dedmiston hasn't done it yet. He loves tire threads!!!!
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

moman1
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
1jeep wrote:
taken, im not sure what drw your friend bought but I can tell you my 2016 drw rides worse unloaded than the srw did.
Also you mention getting a f450 in your future, why you skipping the 350drw? I bought a f350 drw with the heavy tow capacity which gave me the same wide track front axle as the 450, the gvwr of both are the same 14k lbs, but the 450 s a little heavier giving it less payload. Maybe these numbers will change for 2017 as mine is a 2016.

I am skipping the 350 DRW for a few reasons. For the 2017 redesign, the HD tow package is gone with the wide track front axle and 4.30's. The 6.7 DRW 350 now comes with 3.55's with optional 4.10's but no wide track option. I also want the stability of the 19.5 tires on the 450. (They look better too...) There are other upgrades over the 350DRW but you get the idea. The payload thing is a game as Ford needs to keep the 450 under class 5. It's grossly underrated to do so. The Dana S130 rear axle is rated to 16k by itself! Plus the 450 rides better than the DRW 350...

I've heard many speak of the 19.5 tires. I had no idea they made that much of a difference. I'll have to take a closer look.

moman1
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
Yep, a DRW cures that ill. I have a buddy who went from SRW to DRW 350 as his wife had back surgery and the jarring ride of the SRW while towing was making her crazy. The DRW cured it and he lost nothing in unloaded ride quality.

Good to hear. Thanks!