cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exterior Stairs

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 2012 Carriage Cameo F37RSQ and there are several areas of the entry steps that are compromised. I am holding them together with "band-aids". Has anyone replaced their stairs and what make and model did you use. I am leaning toward a similar type to OEM and not something that folds into the RV.

Thanks
57 REPLIES 57

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Not bashing just being honest. IMO the solid steps have no advantages. ๐Ÿ™‚

100% agree! No Bueno Solid steps in my opinion. GlowSteps offered me a free set if I would evaluate them but I kindly declined as I am more than happy with these simple, solid and trouble free.

The extra step was not really needed. It is handy if needed.

People only know the CHEAP flimsy steps so the THINK standard are no good. These are VERY solid with no compromise.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
I don't understand the objection to cleaning and adjusting. Both together take less than one minute. One minute of my retired day is quite insignificant.
I like the solid feel of my steps and knowing that no stress is transferred to the RV, even if a 300 pound person wants to jump up and down on the bottom step.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
They install them because they don't require a stair pocket beneath the door.
It allows more flexibility between floorplans and more flexibilty in deoor location.
They don't install them because they are better steps per se they install them because they create more options and potential savings in the assembly process.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cptnvideo wrote:
Then why do manufacturers choose to install them when they cost more?
I prefer the one piece and I've had both.
The one piece is solid, easy to clean before stowing, and the legs adjust in a mere few seconds.
But the folding stairs require no cleaning before putting away, and need no adjustment. Granted the mobility impaired may like the stability of the solid stairs. Personally I never noticed.

And I don't know that the solid steps are more expensive, they require no supporting structure to be built under the trailer, and are much simpler to construct. Personally I think the builders use them for the main reason behind most changes: improved economic feedback, i.e. less cost, more profit. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Then why do manufacturers choose to install them when they cost more?
I prefer the one piece and I've had both.
The one piece is solid, easy to clean before stowing, and the legs adjust in a mere few seconds.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not bashing just being honest. IMO the solid steps have no advantages. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
But I see an extra step is required in some cases.
Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I see no need to bash one or the other.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^^^^^Love those types of steps. You just fold them out, no messing with legs, or making sure the legs have enough room to deploy, like the solid legs.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you want QUALITY look at Elkhart Industries steps. Mine are 4 step and only have 1/2" deflection on bottom step with 200#. At least 4 years full time use and they still look great.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
I like the one piece steps that fold into the interior space. They came with our Solitude and are very sturdy.
I did have to remove/replace them when we replaced our RF fridge with a residential, but that was no big deal.
Its also no big deal to clean the steps before folding them into the RV.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
e-trailer of Tweety's.

Measure carefully!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Carlyle 4-step (changed from 3 steps) from etrailer.com and they were well built. They aren't all the same width, so be sure to measure yours. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
What kind of steps do you have that is OEM and doesn't fold into the trailer? I have no use for any of the non-folding steps. We have them and I hate them. They require adjustment almost any time they are put down, and may not be able to be put down if the distance to the ground is far enough. And when in storage the nearness of your neighbor may preclude you opening your steps, and thus make it impossible to get into your trailer. Now add in the dirt and mud that will be dumped in the trailer when the steps are lifted up into the trailer. Yuck-o.

We went from the three step folding steps to the quadra step on our last trailer and thought it was great.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"