cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extra Tank

Buster52
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my truck it came with a auxiliary diesel mounted in the bed of the truck. It has a pump and electric fuel valve to transfer the fuel and is larger then my main fuel tank. My question is this legal? If so, what states is it allowed?
17 REPLIES 17

Buster52
Explorer
Explorer
I find gravity fill kits on the market like Northern. When I look into them I find them illegal. I find no powered kits when I look. I plan on reinstalling it when I get a chance. I am looking for a lockable fill cap for the tank first. It has a 2 inch pipe thread in the tank. I want to make sure is safe from someone putting something in the tank.

E_mc2
Explorer
Explorer
Perfectly legal. Many guys run them, I would but they are very expensive.
2007 GMC Sierra 2500
2009 Weekend Warrior Superlite
B&W Companion
2006 Arctic Cat 650 H1 (x2 His and Hers)
An Awesome Family!

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
If it is legal in your home state, the others can not tell you no.

California has some of the most restrictive laws - and most gas auxiliary tanks installed after 2005 are not allowed. Diesel tanks are a little less restrictive, because they do not need to meet the less than 20 grams fuel loss per day - it can happen when gasoline evaporates and leaves the tank.

From what I hear, gravity flow tanks are not allowed. This is because in a accident, it would be possible to separate the tank from the pickup bed, and fuel line would break and dump a lot of fuel quickly. Or if the pickup overturns, it might drain fuel from the tank or it's connections. Also there might be a possibility that the gravity flow might overfill the main tank.

You do not have these problems, as you have a transfer pump, solenoid valve to stop flow when the pump is not running, and probably something to prevent the main tank from filling from the Aux tank when it is already full.

So I say keep using it. IN a gas truck, I would say if the model year where newer than say 2005 it might not pass EPA's stricter regulations.

Fred.

PS: You can check the laws at Transferflow.com They also sell larger capacity diesel tanks for all the major brand trucks.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com