cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F250 Electric Brake Control/Replaced

remdog_1
Explorer
Explorer
2010 F250 with factory brake control. Had failure with factory controller. I removed it and replaced it with Tekonsha Primus. I purchased Tekonsha wiring harness which plugs directly to brake control and directly to Ford factory harness. Brake control works great.
Everytime I start the vehicle now, I get "brake control fault" on digital dashboard.
I have tried Scan tool and cannot clear this fault, Any Ideas?
4 REPLIES 4

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
I was told by the Maxbrake people that if I didnt disconnect the factory controller before I connect the Maxbrake, I would fry them both. Makes sense to me.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
The scan tool with not read anything to do with the TBC. It's wired into the trucks ECM, so it expects it to be there. You'll have to hit the reset button each time you're into the truck or take it over to Ford and for the price of a very shiny penny you could see if they could reprogram the computer to ignore the TBC that it keeps looking for.

Why not have gotten another Ford TBC? If mine went south I'd spring for a new unit, much better than the aftermarket unit and it's tied into the trucks braking system.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

remdog_1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks netjam, I will give it a try.

Gotta love these electronics

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
remdog*1 wrote:
2010 F250 with factory brake control. Had failure with factory controller. I removed it and replaced it with Tekonsha Primus. I purchased Tekonsha wiring harness which plugs directly to brake control and directly to Ford factory harness. Brake control works great.
Everytime I start the vehicle now, I get "brake control fault" on digital dashboard.
I have tried Scan tool and cannot clear this fault, Any Ideas?

On my 08 (F-450) with same controller as you, I cut the wires to the Ford IBC and spliced in the aftermarket. Just unplugging the Ford IBC gave me error messages. Not sure how that made a difference but it did. Trailer shop told me not to disconnect the Ford IBC but just to splice in the aftermarket one.