cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fantastic fan not working

glodal
Explorer
Explorer
The fan n my 2002 Carriage Cameo is not working. The drive lift motor is working fine but the dome won't raise. I removed the drive motor and turned it on as I said it's ok. I removed the plastic shield that has the switches etc. and I can reach the lift arm drive and turn the end of the lift arm shaft with my fingers with no resistance. I'm assuming at this point that the lift drive unit is junk ??? Anyone with knowledge of this your opinion would be helpful.

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

DraginRat
Explorer
Explorer
Glodal;

I agree with itching2go. Try pushing up on the knob. If it won't stay up, you can either hold it up while turning the fan on, or turn the fan on and open the cover manually.

Good luck

Ken Gasbarri

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
Another satisfied fantastic fan support person here. They go above and beyond to make all their customers satisfied.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on FANTASTIC FAN SUPPORT - They are the greatest yet... Give them a call if you can't resolve it...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
vwsportbug wrote:
My Fantastic Fan vent cover lift mechanism just stopped working. How difficult is the repair if you receive replacement lift mechanism from Fantastic Fan? I see a few screws on the lower side of the turn knob. Are these all I will need to remove in order to replace the lift mechanism?

Hope somebody here has done this before and can walk me through the process. Thanks in advance.

It wasn't the easiest proposition, with printed instructions that weren't always clear, a few small screws to handle with my big fingers, and parts that are not easy to align. Ended up calling the Fantastic Fan support folks from my cell while I was standing on the ladder working with it, and the person I got walked me right through it. I agree with a lot of other posters over the years that this company has some of the best customer service out there.
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

vwsportbug
Explorer
Explorer
My Fantastic Fan vent cover lift mechanism just stopped working. How difficult is the repair if you receive replacement lift mechanism from Fantastic Fan? I see a few screws on the lower side of the turn knob. Are these all I will need to remove in order to replace the lift mechanism?

Hope somebody here has done this before and can walk me through the process. Thanks in advance.
VeeDub
2006 Carriage Cameo LXI F35FD3
2006 Ford F350 Dually

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had the same problem on my previous fiver. Turned out the knob that you can pull down to manually raise the vent cover would not hold seated upward to engage the gears. Once call to Fantastic Fan's customer service operation, and they sent me a new lift mechanism. Very impressed...
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
They sent me new gaskets, sealer and lube for two of mine a few years ago. Gaskets stick! Chris

I would be willing to bet my wifes next paycheck that a sticking gasket is the problem.
It's time to go up on the roof and give it a little assist.
A little vasoline to lube the gasket and you're good to go.

BTW DW is retired...no paycheck!
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
They sent me new gaskets, sealer and lube for two of mine a few years ago. Gaskets stick! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

CruiserJoe
Explorer
Explorer
The covers on these will stick if not used almost daily. It should pop up on second or third try.

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
There is a button under the cover that shuts the fan on and off when you close/open the cover. With time it can get dirty and needs to be cleaned. That or the gears that open the cover need to be replaced. Had that on our last RV and Fantastic fan was great in helping us by sending out new parts.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
Contact Fantastic Fan They have good customer service and can trouble shoot and sent you parts. Years ago they would swap parts for free but now I think they require you to pay shipping.

Quote right from their about us page,
"Customers who experience a need for parts or service needn’t get caught up trying to find solutions. We encourage dealers and customers alike to contact us directly and we are confident that no customer is ever left holding the bag."

Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3