cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty floor covering in a Heartland RV

bkick
Explorer
Explorer
10 months in our heartland and the floor covering is coming apart. The vinyl is separating from the backing around the dining room table. Is ready to tear as it has already blistered. Has anyone else had this kind of problem. Have reported it to Heartland and waiting on a response but then first report to them was that it was normal wear. Sent photos per their request. If this is the case you better look else where for a new unit.
Bkick
14 REPLIES 14

bkick
Explorer
Explorer
Blistering is in one area only about eight inches square. Several other areas it looks like the chair has indented the flooring. All damaged flooring is on one side of the dining room table.My stance is that the flooring should be able to with stand normal use. Sitting in a chair is not abuse in any way shape or form.
Still waiting to hear from Heartland
Bkick

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Say what you like. I'm just stating real facts. Yes, I own one. I see that you don't. No it's not the greatest RV ever made. Yes, Heartland has been excellent with their service. What do you base your experience with Heartland on?? That's all I have to say..

B.O.

I have no clue what you're talking about. I had a Cyclone for two years that was a piece of junk and Heartland was the sorriest company I've ever dealt with. But that was a while back.

All I said was I didn't know what the OP's camper was. :h

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
lawnspecialties wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
lawnspecialties wrote:
bkick wrote:
The unit is set up as our primary home, only pulled about 800 miles all together.

Careful about that. In my past experience, Heartland will jump all over the "no full-timing clause" in their owner's manual.
Heartland states in their brochures that Landmark, Big Horn and Big Country are approved for full time and the warranty is good for that. Chances are they won't even ask..

B.O.

OK. I have no idea what the OP's RV is.
Say what you like. I'm just stating real facts. Yes, I own one. I see that you don't. No it's not the greatest RV ever made. Yes, Heartland has been excellent with their service. What do you base your experience with Heartland on?? That's all I have to say..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
lawnspecialties wrote:
bkick wrote:
The unit is set up as our primary home, only pulled about 800 miles all together.

Careful about that. In my past experience, Heartland will jump all over the "no full-timing clause" in their owner's manual.
Heartland states in their brochures that Landmark, Big Horn and Big Country are approved for full time and the warranty is good for that. Chances are they won't even ask..

B.O.

OK. I have no idea what the OP's RV is.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
bkick wrote:
10 months in our heartland and the floor covering is coming apart. The vinyl is separating from the backing around the dining room table. Is ready to tear as it has already blistered.

It sounds like abuse. Sliding the chairs while sitting on them. That is a lot of weight on a very small area the chair leg. You may disagree with me but 42 years in resilient floorcovering I have seen it all. If it was a general blistering all over I would say manufacturing defect.
Who is the manufacturer of your floor covering, one of their reps is who should be contacted if you get no satisfaction from Heartland which I doubt you will. Both your dealer and Heartland are probably clueless on this matter.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
lawnspecialties wrote:
bkick wrote:

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

TheAmRheins
Explorer
Explorer
Yes call Heartland customer service directly. Have your VIN number when you call them.
Ken & Kathy
Ruben(the cat)& Tiadora (nother cat)
2003 Chev 3500 D/A Dually
2009 Landmark Augusta

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
bkick wrote:

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
bkick wrote:
Thanks for the return information. The unit is set up as our primary home, only pulled about 800 miles all together. Still waiting to hear from Heartland as dealer just passed the buck.
Don't waste your time going through a dealer. Call heartland customer service. They will most likely want pictures. It's still under warranty and I don't see why it should be a problem.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

bkick
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the return information. The unit is set up as our primary home, only pulled about 800 miles all together. Still waiting to hear from Heartland as dealer just passed the buck.
Bkick

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
ggardne2 wrote:
I've found this to be a fairly frequent occurrence in RVs, particularly those that are towed a lot. I've had the floor bubble in three of the five units I have owned, usually within the first twelve months of ownership. If there is nothing underneath the floor trying to poke through (nails, screws, OSB slivers, etc.) than the easiest fix is to have a linoleum installer shoot glue under the bubbles using a hypodermic needle and roll the vinyl back down. This is a fairly quick repair and when done right you won't be able to tell.

If there is some kind of debris in the bubble area than the typical repair is to cut the floor along the walls/perimeter, peel it back, remove the debris, and then glue it back down. While less straight-forward than the hypodermic approach above, when done right this repair is also quite effective and not noticeable. Sometimes it is necessary to place to molding around the perimeter where the cuts are made.

Do you have pictures of the bubbles that you can post online?
There is no glue under the floor to start with. The sheet goods are loose laid then the walls, cabinets are built over them. If Heartland won't help you, I suspect they will, it is an easy job to replace the flooring. Trim all around the edge and remove the sheet in one piece if you can. It will come out easily. Use the old sheet as a pattern and trace around it onto the new sheet. Lay the the new sheet in place using no glue. Trim around the edge with 1/4 round or base shoe to hold it in place. Open beer and admire new floor. I've done several when they cracked over the Winter. Easy job.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
We are in our 6th year in ours and no problems.
Have you checked the heartland owners site, they have lots of helpful people over there!
I have had and have heard of no one getting bad support from heartland! However there are some who go through other mean to get satisfaction when if they had only went to Heartland in the first place, there would have been less stress! Check your dealer first then call heartland to see if they can help you!

ggardne2
Explorer
Explorer
I've found this to be a fairly frequent occurrence in RVs, particularly those that are towed a lot. I've had the floor bubble in three of the five units I have owned, usually within the first twelve months of ownership. If there is nothing underneath the floor trying to poke through (nails, screws, OSB slivers, etc.) than the easiest fix is to have a linoleum installer shoot glue under the bubbles using a hypodermic needle and roll the vinyl back down. This is a fairly quick repair and when done right you won't be able to tell.

If there is some kind of debris in the bubble area than the typical repair is to cut the floor along the walls/perimeter, peel it back, remove the debris, and then glue it back down. While less straight-forward than the hypodermic approach above, when done right this repair is also quite effective and not noticeable. Sometimes it is necessary to place to molding around the perimeter where the cuts are made.

Do you have pictures of the bubbles that you can post online?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Please, keep us updated on your situation.