cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Feed back wanted on the "Real" Top Brands

Expediter
Explorer
Explorer
Im a total newbie looking first RV, a 5th wheel, and asking for some guidance. Ive been told that Jayco, Heartland are some of the better manufactures however looking for input. It seems that every maker out there has some horror stories on units leaking bad slide assemblies etc.

Any advise as to the "Real" Top brands?
39 REPLIES 39

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
jerem0621 wrote:
Imho...If buying new I would buy off of a dealers lot. There can be vast differences in QC from the exact same manufacturer. It can even vary from trailer to trailer with the exact same floor plan and model.

Yes it can, and be about as vast as the Sahara desert.

Ordered our Rockwood Roo in Oct of 2015, it arrived Dec of 2015 as a 2016. A total POS as delivered from the factory. A long story. Refused to purchase it. They had another manufactured which the dealer received in April of 2016 as a 2017. A smaller turd, but a night and day difference in build quality.

It is much better to buy an in stock unit where you can take as much time as you want going over it. When you have a dealer order one from the factory you're taking a chance of them trying to hand you a total POS. If you do order the dealer is going to want some hand money as a deposit. The most important thing is to get this deposit documented as "refundable" for if they do ship you a bill of goods.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Expediter
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the feed back this has been a real learning exercise. The feed back has been very helpful for a newbie trying to buy our first RV. We ultimately purchased a Montana as it seemed to have the right combo of price point, features and quality. The education that all brands will have issues and need maintenance was very helpful. Thanks again all!

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Nu-wa refurbishes & then sells used Hitchhikers, We bought one! (They made several changes for us.). We are happy to recommend them. They still perform service on Hitchhikers (as well as other brands they now sell).

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
You may also want to check out NuWa. They manufacture the Hitchhiker line of fifth wheels, among others. I full timed in a 2007 Hitchhiker for about 7 years without issues until a medical situation forced me out.

NuWa has been out of business for many years. Probably would have bought one if still around.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
You may also want to check out NuWa. They manufacture the Hitchhiker line of fifth wheels, among others. I full timed in a 2007 Hitchhiker for about 7 years without issues until a medical situation forced me out.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Don't rely too much on many of the YouTube videos, Many of the video producers know as much about RV's as I know about the space shuttle. I've watched a few, and was amazed at their ignorance,

Also, getting a new "really good " quality rv is going to be difficult! With the exception of a few manufacturers, you're pretty much stuck with....poor, fair, and at best good. Most of the "truley" quality RV manufactures went under since around 2007/08, with the ecomomic downturn and market demand. Simply put....most wanted inexpensive (cheap) RV's, and the market is loaded with exactly that! Back in the 90's, quality units started at around $70 K, and went up from there. So....when you factor in inflation, you'll get an idea what a "quality" RV would cost you today,

Someone mentioned weight....lightweight and true thru and thru quality, do not come in lightweight packages,.

This may seem harsh, and I'am sure that I hurt some feelings, but buying and being "extremely" disappointed will certainly hurt your feelings....and your checking account,

If you do not have unlimited funding and want quality, "new" is a "tall order"! As someone mentioned....used. Ask,research, and use your best judgement. Many do not want used,but, there are many high quality,used units out there less expensive than a new unit of today,
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Ford_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Montana, Cedar Creek, Cardinal, Mobile Suites (probably the best), Jayco. I had a Heartland Landmark and it was POS, something stayed broken all the time.

hutchman
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:

...If money were no object I would be looking at Artic Fox.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

From my recent experience, Arctic Fox is having the same quality issues as the rest of the industry.
2012 Ram 3500 CCLB dually, auto, Max Tow, 4.10s

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Imho...If buying new I would buy off of a dealers lot. There can be vast differences in QC from the exact same manufacturer. It can even vary from trailer to trailer with the exact same floor plan and model.

Open the cabinets and look at how they are assembled, look at the visible wiring and plumbing. Is it neat or does it look more like a rats nest... do the moldings fit correctly, is there noticible uneven wear on the tires (it was likely towed hundreds to thousands of miles to the dealer) if there is noticeable wear then you may be looking at an axle alignment issue

These are the kind of things I look for...

If money were no object I would be looking at Artic Fox.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Thats spot about varying quality.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II

Open the cabinets and look at how they are assembled, look at the visible wiring and plumbing. Is it neat or does it look more like a rats nest... do the moldings fit correctly, is there noticible uneven wear on the tires (it was likely towed hundreds to thousands of miles to the dealer) if there is noticeable wear then you may be looking at an axle alignment issue

These are the kind of things I look for...

If money were no object I would be looking at Artic Fox.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

laknox wrote:
Sad to hear, Ralph and FTG... ๐Ÿ˜ž

Lyle

it is... luckily my dealer in NJ is GREAT, if I need them, they help me.. This is my 3rd summer with my Redwood, no reason to get the MFG involved in anything to date.. fingers crossed ๐Ÿ™‚
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Sad to hear, Ralph and FTG... ๐Ÿ˜ž

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Ralph Cramden wrote:
laknox wrote:
Expediter wrote:
Thank you for the detailed reply!!

I do like the KZ thank you

One other thing that I like about KZ is that they admit they're a smaller company, with fewer dealers, and didn't seem to have a problem in authorizing warranty work by independent RV techs. Caveat: this was on a call before the Thor buyout.

Lyle

Thats one heck of a Caveat. Have they rolled the support after the sale into Keystone yet? When we had our 2011 Aerolite (Dutchmen)I had great support from Dutchmen. Emails were answered within hours, warranty parts were sent gratis and they would sell me parts, sending them to my home. At some point during the second year we owned it, they rolled the support into the Keystone division, even the email addy changed from Dutchmen.com to Keystone.com. The fast email responses and parts sending stopped. Right after I bought our 2013 Keystone I found just how slow Keystone was responding to an email and when they finally did it was usually a canned response from some woman whose knowledge about an RV was limited to knowing RV starts with an R. Forget them sending you any parts or even selling you parts directly....all has to be done through a dealer. Thankfully the 2013 was a decent build and never required any warranty service at the dealer. What few things that failed or were boogered during assembly I just took care of myself.

Same with Redwood . . Since last year we are no longer available to make reservations with the service center for repairs.. ALL calls go through a Keystone office, Things are different with Thor... way different.. I am just glad ours was made BEFORE Keystone got involved.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:
Expediter wrote:
Thank you for the detailed reply!!

I do like the KZ thank you

One other thing that I like about KZ is that they admit they're a smaller company, with fewer dealers, and didn't seem to have a problem in authorizing warranty work by independent RV techs. Caveat: this was on a call before the Thor buyout.

Lyle

Thats one heck of a Caveat. Have they rolled the support after the sale into Keystone yet? When we had our 2011 Aerolite (Dutchmen)I had great support from Dutchmen. Emails were answered within hours, warranty parts were sent gratis and they would sell me parts, sending them to my home. At some point during the second year we owned it, they rolled the support into the Keystone division, even the email addy changed from Dutchmen.com to Keystone.com. The fast email responses and parts sending stopped. Right after I bought our 2013 Keystone I found just how slow Keystone was responding to an email and when they finally did it was usually a canned response from some woman whose knowledge about an RV was limited to knowing RV starts with an R. Forget them sending you any parts or even selling you parts directly....all has to be done through a dealer. Thankfully the 2013 was a decent build and never required any warranty service at the dealer. What few things that failed or were boogered during assembly I just took care of myself.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?