Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth wheel length question

sportzfann
Explorer
Explorer
Fifth wheel owners
What seems to be the consensus on the best length of fifth wheel to purchase when you will be using it for 2 weeks up to 6 mos at a time? I would be staying at some national parks, and some boondocking locations. We are Thousand trail members so most size rigs will be accepted there. I have owned a 30 ft. Bunk model when we had kids, and I could manage that pretty well, but wanted something for the dear wife and me, rear lounge type, with bed slide.
I have a 2017 f350 Dually and truck camper at this time, for towing, but wanted more room than that.
?? thanks Sportzfann
31 REPLIES 31

sportzfann
Explorer
Explorer
Wow that was a lot of great responses I think we would be looking to limit its length at around 34’. Sounds like that would be a good compromise on length if all other things are a fit like tank size etc.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
34’ worked well for wife and I and occasional grandkid or two when they were small. But there were some state parks we stayed in that one more foot would have been difficult to get in if at all. Just depends on how much you want to limit yourself.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 35ft and travel weeks to several months with it, averaging about halftime on the road. Camp mostly at state parks, NPS, COEs etc. I would not have a longer 5er, and we’re very comfortable in this one with storage etc (currently on a 3-4mo trip).

There are a few times that I’d like smaller. As I tell everyone, the perfect size 5er would be 35ft interior with a 30ft exterior length 🙂

Haven’t seen anything in 30-32ft size that has floor plan we like, besides at this point we’ve modded up our 35ft’er such that it would be hard for me to give up what we have.

If you plan to camp similar to us I’d recommend making sure you look at tank sizes as someone else mentioned. Good luck.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
My favorite size was 31' (or very close to it.) With slides, that was a very comfortable size for the 2 of us.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 40' and we've been too big a handful of times. Some National and State parks do have some tight spots. Sounds like you'd be okay in up to 36'.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My 26' is tight at times with older national or state parks. Never really wanted more but I could see going 30-32'.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Out of 6 5th wheels our favorite was a 31 ft, Cameo. We’ve had from 35 to 40. Big doesn’t mean better..
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Is space and comfort more important than staying in COE campgrounds, local, city campgrounds?

I wouldn't say that by going with a shorter trailer you would give up any comfort. We have friends with a 36 footer and they have just a little more usable space than we do with our 27 (really 29) footer and I would say ours is more comfortable. They have another couch, that's the main difference.

Going from a TC like the OP has to even a shorter fifth wheel is a huge difference. That's what we did, it is more about finding the right floor plan that works for you both. Also watch the tank sizes when you are shopping for a 5th wheel. Many of the opposing slide models give up tank space to make room for the slide mechanism.

Our tank sizes are almost double what they have. There are always trade offs.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
40foot. Won't fit every space, but many

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
Over the last 25 years we have had everything from a 8' truck camper to a 38' fifth wheel and several in between. Considering we really like OLDER national parks and COE parks, size is a very limiting factor. I sometimes wish our 31'fiver was smaller. Most of these parks will have some sites for the bigger rigs but not nearly as many as those for smaller rigs

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don’t exceed the length limit at any of your favorite campgrounds.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
What's the best length of rope? It all depends on what your plans are. You could get by with about any length for two weeks, but when you start talking six months, things can change drastically. Is space and comfort more important than staying in COE campgrounds, local, city campgrounds? If you plan on taking toys along then you may need more room. Many, many variable. We started out with a pop-up and now pull our third 5th wheel, and our 2nd 38 foot toyhauler. We're happy with what we have and have no desire for shorter.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 38 ft.and am too big at a few places
I think 32 - 36 would be ideal for me.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
I think length really only comes into play when you consider where you camp and your comfort level driving and maneuvering. If you stay at a lot of state and fed parks you will be limited. But floorplan should be your first consideration and then find units with that floorplan in a length you can live with. Our unit is about 33' and we love the floorplan. Personally I don't think we need any more space than we have vs the hassle of limitations and hauling it around.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a 28' Travel trailer, to a 38' 5th wheel, now have a 40' 5th wheel. I liked the 38'er over what I have now...would even consider a 36'.