Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth wheel step damaging door frame any suggestions

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all

Noticing the fifth wheel step is pulling on the door frame during travel, has anyone come up with a way to protect the door frame please
Pictures below thanks
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
2020 Vanleigh Pinecrest 392MBP
B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ford Super Duty Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs
ITEM # BWRVK3305
12 REPLIES 12

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
One more reason to ditch the stupid solid steps...

Check out the Torklift Uprising folding steps that replace the stuipd solid steps. I have the Glowstep Revolution under mount, and love 'em. I can only imagine that the Uprising steps are along the same quality.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
The damage is bent inward from outside the coach and into the interior. That means something on the steps is hitting the frame and then pushing inwards when closing.

All you have to do is step inside the coach and have somebody else lift the steps up while you watch to see what is hitting and bending it. then make sure in the future you don't do whatever it was that you were doing to cause the impact.

the other possibility is after the steps are up and locked the closing door hits the steps and pushes them further into the coach and bends the frame. But if that was the case, I would think there would be marks on the inside of the door where it contacts the steps.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks yes this is what Iโ€™ve been doing from your post to unlock then put in position and re-lock in place Iโ€™m wondering if there is play between where it locks around the frame during transit or if I should leave it unlocked, have a ticket open with lippert also
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ford Super Duty Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs
ITEM # BWRVK3305

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
I believe the response was telling you to release the lock when stowing it so it does not hit the opening and then lock it in the fully stowed position. We have similar steps and the only wear we have is some rub marks where the rubber coated stops hit the door frame.
Have you looked on line for the installation instructions and compared it to how yours was installed?

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Think I may be following you if I leave it unlocked will the step stay in place just by the black flange and the door frame closure
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer

If Iโ€™m unlocking to get past the frame are you suggesting. Donโ€™t have it locked in place
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your reply, arenโ€™t the locks meant to be out to hold the steps in place during travel to hold the steps in place, I was putting the steps in and locking them in place with the yellow handle
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is caused by the user pushing the steps into travel position with out using the release lever to retract the locks. You can tell by the photos, the distortion is the with of the bolts and bent inwards. Operator error is not covered by any warranty.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve reached out to lippert as this is there product to see if there are any alterations
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Yes that would be nice Tiffin havenโ€™t been the most forthcoming with there short falls Iโ€™m hoping to come up with something to protect the opening foam or something
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Wow I would be on the phone Monday to Tiffin and ask how they plan on fixing what appears to be a poor installation or design.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer

Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305