cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finding wall studs

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a sure fired way to locate wall studs/steel in the garage area of your toy hauler?
I want to install some e-track on the wall but don't want to just start drilling holes and not hitting anything.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP
11 REPLIES 11

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
You can always contact the dealer with your serial number and they should send you a set of build blueprints for free. At least that's the way it is with my Trailer manufacturer.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

duggram
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any chance you would have a Raptor? I have the plans for the 3712 that shows all the studs in each side wall. They're good enough that I've been able to use them with my '06 3612. BTW it's pretty stunning how sparse the studs are.

I know this is a really old post, you wouldn't by chance still have those plans for a Raptor would you

tchil
Explorer
Explorer
Also the wallboard is pretty thin so at least on mine I can push in and feel where the wall won't bow in and tell exactly where the studs are.
Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
GENECOP wrote:
In the early morning when there is morning dew look closely, the framing will be outlined on the side of the unit...really, you can also contact the manufacturer and ask for a framing plan of your unit, they will usually happiy email it to you and it will be good to have for the future. Lastly framing always runs along the edges of window and door opening, 16" centers are a good start from there, electrical outlets usually fasten to the side of framing, you can remove a cover and see which side...good luck.

X2 on this!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

exeter_acres
Explorer
Explorer
GENECOP wrote:
In the early morning when there is morning dew look closely,

yep!
Involved in R/C airplanes and travel and camp at many events.
www.extremeflightrc.com

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the early morning when there is morning dew look closely, the framing will be outlined on the side of the unit...really, you can also contact the manufacturer and ask for a framing plan of your unit, they will usually happiy email it to you and it will be good to have for the future. Lastly framing always runs along the edges of window and door opening, 16" centers are a good start from there, electrical outlets usually fasten to the side of framing, you can remove a cover and see which side...good luck.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
If its steel the magnetic type will work. If its aluminum the ultrasound type will work.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I think it has alum tube for wall studs.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
Does anyone have a sure fired way to locate wall studs/steel in the garage area of your toy hauler?
I want to install some e-track on the wall but don't want to just start drilling holes and not hitting anything.

Stud finders are the easiest method. Available at most hardware stores, Lowes, Home Depot.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a TH, so this is just question for your question:)

Are the studs wood or metal? Can you use one of those "stud finders" from HD or Lowe's for them? If they are metal, I'd think a magnet would be enough....but those detectors aren't all that much money, and as you said, you don't want to be drilling holes.

Good Luck:)
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ๐Ÿ™‚
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.๐Ÿ˜ž
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets