cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FIrst Excperience Towing 5th compared to TT

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing my travel trailer for 8 years and other small trailers a little longer. I am really accustomed to hitching and unhitching by myself and travelling long distances with it. After towing a 5th wheel I am really impressed with the simpler and more robust hitching process (that you can see from cab) and the stability is like night and day. Not that I ever had my TT dangerously swaying down the highway but it never tracked as solid as the few 5th wheels I have towed. One thing I happily miss is hooking up WD and sway bars and that loud creaking noise from the WD when driving through a quiet campground while turning.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851
33 REPLIES 33

i5trucker
Explorer
Explorer
Part 3, first experience jack knifing a 5th wheel. LOL, just joking, hope it never happens.

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
Glad that it is going so well, can't wait for part 2 "First Experience Backing a 5th compared to TT".
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

Dman1
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be joining you this summer. After over ten years with tent trailers and hybrids, I am in the process of moving up to a 40' fifth wheel. We ordered our Sabre 34 TBOK a few weeks ago.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Glad you are enjoying the FW experience Joe!

After having two TTs, I started towing FWs in 95. I never had sway from the TTs, not enough to bother me anyway, but I sure don't miss the hookup/disconnect process.

I do miss the use of the truck bed.

Jerry