cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flex Seal; As seen on TV, nine months later

Wet_Coast
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I thought I would post this to comment on what kind of a product Flex Seal is. I had lap seam that needed a quick fix last fall. I grabbed can of the Flex Seal. The stuff that is pumped all over the TV these days. That was October last year.

I was on the roof doing some other stuff and had good look at what's left of the Flex Seal. It's only been up there for less than 9 months. It looks like it has crystallized. Cracked and checkered and not looking like it would hold any water. It's not like it's been exposed to UV for all of that time either as the trailer sits under cover unless used a few times over the winter.

I would say don't trust the stuff for anything other than a quick fix on the road. If I can figure out how to post and link a pic, I may do it.

Rick
04 3500 4X4 Auto Cummins QC
Onboard air, Air bags, Pac Brake
05 Cougar 244EFS, Flexair Pin Box, Dexter Equalizers
6x6v, 900watt, 60a Renology MPPT, 2200w Xantrex, 3500w IPower Genset
VA7RKC Advanced

Everything runs on smoke, don't let the smoke out
10 REPLIES 10

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
The stuff thats meant for evaporative coolers works. I kinda wondered if its the same stuff as the Flex Seal but it seems you've found otherwise.

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
DannyA wrote:
Did not work on a plastic water tank for me.

Not much will work on the white plastic water tanks,, But plastic welding. I made a welder from one of my dads old big soldering guns by silver soldering a copper plate to the tip and welded up my water tank so far successfully,one year and 120 gallons and holding. the only thing i would do differently next time would be to embed some metal mesh into the plastic and build it up with more polyethelene.
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Did not work on a plastic water tank for me.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

Wet_Coast
Explorer
Explorer
Just as a follow up. I was able to remove the stuff with a heat gun and scraper. I then removed the finer film/over spray with acetone and stainless steel chore-boy.
04 3500 4X4 Auto Cummins QC
Onboard air, Air bags, Pac Brake
05 Cougar 244EFS, Flexair Pin Box, Dexter Equalizers
6x6v, 900watt, 60a Renology MPPT, 2200w Xantrex, 3500w IPower Genset
VA7RKC Advanced

Everything runs on smoke, don't let the smoke out

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I had a gutter at my s&b that leaked at a couple of seams in a corner. I used 3M 5200 on the inside. It cures under water and is definitely permanent stuff. Curing takes 7 days, but since water doesn't bother the curing who cares. It has been there for almost 10 years now.

Warning: 5200 is permanent. You can't get it off without destroying what it is attached to.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
I tried Flex Seal on a aluminum gutter corner three different times. Cleaned, wire brushed, then used lacquer thinner to prep the area. Didn't even slow down the water. Put on the applications next time, no luck. Then I cut some screen door nylon mesh and embedded that into the Flex Seal. Nope.

Finally took it all out, which was a job, and used Sikaflex, problem solved.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

jwoods61us
Explorer
Explorer
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I used FlexSeal on my home gutter two years ago and it is still leak free. I did notice, however, that in the places where I put a lot of the product it did crack and crystallize just like the OP noticed. My vote is that you get what you pay for. As always, RV specific caulk works best, but a quick fix is just that.
John, Lorie, Franklin, Sammi, Tina
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins G56
2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2912BS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's junk. I'm sure they sold enough of it to make a nice profit, then moved on to the next scam.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
thanks 4 the review!
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)