cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flex tape on leaking water tank

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
has anyone tried this stuff? i have a 2007 attitude fsakg 33, it is a real piece of **** but i keep it going. i have 2 water tanks, i think aztec brand, they are black, both have leaks in them as does the black water tank but that crack is up top so i just drain it more often. i tried plastic welding the cracks on the water tanks but my dad sent me this link for flex tape, kind of looks like a scam but then i found a youtube video where a legitimate tester guy seems to make it work.

anyway, not worth it for buy new tanks, was wondering if anyone had used this stuff. i was also starting to think about using this super sticky roof repair tape i have, it was expensive, i think it is edpm tape, maybe it is the same stuff. eternabond is what is it called, it looks like same stuff. any thoughts appreciated, unless you make fun of me,,,,,,which may cause me to cry so choose wisely.
https://www.flextapeoffer.com/FLXTP/4.0000/Index.dtm?mid=8790706&otsid=3758

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp_gsxHmwCE
18 REPLIES 18

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
I've used this on a lot of plastic and rubber cracks. All held up without any delam of the product.

Fiberglass Resin Repair Kit
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Black is probably ABS and I guaranty PlastiMend will fix it.

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
lazydays wrote:
I used Flex tape on my gray water tank last year. Used 50ft thinking if a little was good a lot was better. It held for a summer. Camper goes in next month for a new tank. It was worth a shot.

my wife did a survey with flextape and I am very impressed I will be getting a roll to leave in the trailer.
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
If the are black tanks it's probably ABS. I would put ABS glue in a large syringe and heat the crack with a heat gun to make sure it's dry and inject glue into crack as much as possible. Let it cure for a day and check for leak and repeat if necessary.

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
I used Flex tape on my gray water tank last year. Used 50ft thinking if a little was good a lot was better. It held for a summer. Camper goes in next month for a new tank. It was worth a shot.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
by the way, i am pretty sure they re mdpe, i tried welding but it just wasn't working. i remember calling aztec or attitude to find out what they were.

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
thanks for all the great posts. i will post here after my fix

Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a bottle of black ABS dissolved in a acetone. I have used it to glue several things and it hasn't failed me yet.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If I knew how to weld I might try that. But if it were me I would use some plastic compatible epoxy and cover it with eternabond. Inexpensive solution to fix a problem with water leak where pressure isn't a significant factor.
Kevin

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I have not tried it but have been told this works well.
Poly Weld
Must have room to get a heat gun to blow hot air on it.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Eternabond fixed my water tank in a previous RV. Use a double layer.

One small patch covered with a larger one.

Eternabond can even be applied underwater.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
I plastic welded my tank, large crack at the bottom of the 120 gallon tank. has been in place for over 5 years no. also added an exptra support for the tank. I made my ownd welder but Harbor Freight sells them. can heat infuse some metal screen accross the crack and layer over it with the same material the tank is made of. don't think much of anything will really stick to polyethelene.
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Had a leak on my first fiver black water tank at the outlet nozzle. It was ABS. Used J B Weld. Was holding when I traded 4 years later. The white/off white are usually Polyethylene. Not much sticks to them but I saw some epoxy at Home Depot the other day that said it would stick. Haven't tried it.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
If it is just the fresh water tank, I would give the Phil Swift tape a shot. If it does not work, you will just be dripping fresh water and not stinking up the place with grey or black water....
I cracked my grey water tank at the neck of the tank trying to get the valve out to replace it. I sanded the neck and roughed it up as best I could, then wrapped it with fiberglass cloth, and smeared epoxy all over it. The epoxy you get with the plunger that disperses the same amount and mix it and smear it on. Has not leaked in 2 years..