cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fuel tank

Bemota
Explorer
Explorer
I have '02 Chevy 2500 long box, 34 gal. fuel tank, what options would you suggest for a tank for less fuel stops. I have room in front of hitch, something low so it fits under the soft cover, and still legal. Open to ideas!!
Thanks, Dan
2017 Dodge Ram Big Horn 3500 HD Cummins
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2
Navy CPO Retired, Jan (DW), and Ziggy (Cat)
14 REPLIES 14

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't remember the whole truth. Here's a link to the RDS page where they state what is allowed for gasoline. I would think they would know. Last paragraph under aux tanks on the left side.

http://www.rdsaluminum.com/auto-intro.html

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
OK you great advisers, post up a site/regulation/law/whatever that says thast gas aux tanks are ILLEGAL.

Common lets hear it. :R

Bemota
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of answers:

2500 HD Duramax 8 Ft.

Loaded I've got 650 lbs. to go to reach GVWR.
Loaded I've got 1200 lbs. to go to hit the RR GAWR
and 800 yet on FRT GAWR.

So I do have some wiggle room, on the wts.

Thanks everyone, more looking to do. Dan
2017 Dodge Ram Big Horn 3500 HD Cummins
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2
Navy CPO Retired, Jan (DW), and Ziggy (Cat)

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Bemota wrote:
I have '02 Chevy 2500 long box, 34 gal. fuel tank, what options would you suggest for a tank for less fuel stops. I have room in front of hitch, something low so it fits under the soft cover, and still legal. Open to ideas!!
Thanks, Dan

You mention room in front of the hitch. Also a 2500 Chevy.

Have you checked your truck on a scale? If you have a gas truck, without 4 wheel drive, and without a crewcab, it might be light enough to accommodate some more fuel weight in a toolbox combo, or other fuel tank in the body. But sadly many have a crewcab, and light GVWR, that leaves very little weight capacity for the fifth wheel.

If the truck is overloaded already, I wold not install a 250 pound fuel tank in front of the hitch.

Google tractor supply, they seem to have great prices on in the bed fuel tanks.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
Are you diesel or gas ??

If gas, I don't think you can add a tank to your bed. Believe it's illegal.

I have a diesel truck and added an RDS gravity flow combo fuel tank/tool box.

Nice and simple. It was the best mod I did to my truck. I got the 40 gal/toolbox combo and it does sit lower then the bed rails.

Northern Tool carries RDS tanks, or call RDS and ask for a dealer. I believe the RDS site shows more tanks then Northern Tool site does.

Tim

Tim is right. We first need to know if you're running diesel or gas.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
WE-C-USA wrote:
The first thing I installed after the hitch, was a TRANSFER FLOW aux tank/toolbox. Sits level with the bed rails. :B

X2

Think Transfer Flow is the gold standard.
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
ThomasFour wrote:
Not sure which model might work for you, but I bought the RDS brand (42 gal tank/tool box combo) some years back. At the time, I wasn't sure if I was just splurging on an unnecessary investment. Now, I can't imagine living without it. I am very happy with the RDS brand. I installed it myself just going by the instructions and it has worked flawlessly. Northern Tool had the best price online, shipping was a breeze, and I saved over local vendors who wanted more and charged sales tax. Good luck.

My Northern Tool had the 60 gal toolbox tank in stock, so no shipping ($100), I am using the gravity feed with an electric shutoff valve.
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
Try Titan Fuel tank. I have a 60 gallon on my truck. Took off the original OEM and put on the Titan in about 3 hours. Now I still have the truck bed for wood in front of the hitch and can travel a lot farther... https://titanfueltanks.com/
https://titanfueltanks.com/
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Are you diesel or gas ??

If gas, I don't think you can add a tank to your bed. Believe it's illegal.

I have a diesel truck and added an RDS gravity flow combo fuel tank/tool box.

Nice and simple. It was the best mod I did to my truck. I got the 40 gal/toolbox combo and it does sit lower then the bed rails.

Northern Tool carries RDS tanks, or call RDS and ask for a dealer. I believe the RDS site shows more tanks then Northern Tool site does.

Tim

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing I installed after the hitch, was a TRANSFER FLOW aux tank/toolbox. Sits level with the bed rails. :B
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

rskeans
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just replace your tank with a bigger one? http://www.aerotanks.com/vehicles/chevy.html
'14 RAM CTD,Aisin,CC,DRW,4.10 Longhorn, LB
Aerotanks.com 70 gal underbed fuel tank.
Lifestyle LS36FW, Andersen Ultimate AL hitch

REWahoo
Explorer
Explorer
Might be a problem, might not, but be sure to consider the additional weight of the tank and fuel.
2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax 4x4
2007 Jayco Eagle 291RLTS (trade in)
2017 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5RLTS

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure which model might work for you, but I bought the RDS brand (42 gal tank/tool box combo) some years back. At the time, I wasn't sure if I was just splurging on an unnecessary investment. Now, I can't imagine living without it. I am very happy with the RDS brand. I installed it myself just going by the instructions and it has worked flawlessly. Northern Tool had the best price online, shipping was a breeze, and I saved over local vendors who wanted more and charged sales tax. Good luck.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
My dad picked up a combo tool/fuel box from http://www.thefuelbox.com/. His the FTC60. He got the optional plumb it in to your filler neck option. Works great. As the level gets a little below half tank on the truck, the auto-controller fills the truck tank back to about 3/4 full, and continues the cycle until the aux tank is empty. The aux tank level is displayed on the little control box. It requires tapping in to the truck's fuel tank sending unit (easily found in the wire loom running along the frame rail).

The spray on bed liner type coating is nice as well. There are other cheaper cost aux tanks out there. This one is an expensive purchase, but money well spent.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny