cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator Advise

ianmac23
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are thinking about getting a 5th wheel this year and are trying to plan things out. We travel about 45 nights a year and like to go to races where we would use generator power for up to 4 days at a time. I was thinking about a Onan 5k or doing 3 Honda 2000's. We would use the generator twice a year when traveling to our vacation sites on breaks and at night. We would also use it once a year at a track. If you use your generator when traveling I would like to hear about your experiences and options.
2010 GMC Sierra, 1500, SLT, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.2L, Max Towing Package,2011 Keystone Passport Ultralight Limited Edition
32 REPLIES 32

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
avvidclif1 wrote:
Why don't you just toodle down to Texas in August and you'll figure out why battery banks and solar just don't cut it.
Single Honda 2000 combined with a Magnum or Victron inverter that combines power will easily run an air conditioner 24/7 in all conditions. Will also run the microwave or hair drier when needed at the same time as these units synchronize and combine power with the generator. The start surge or additional load is carried by the inverter until done then any excess power is charging the battery. Solar would be charging all day as needed. Need an extended run fuel tank for a TX Summer.

Although if such convenience is desired I am not sure why a built-in generator was not optioned.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Look again at hybrid inverters with a smaller generator. My RV behaves as if it is on shore power all the time and I can run any two high draw items as well as all the low draw. When I do run the Yamaha generator the Magnum inverter/charger takes care of any surges and I can run it in economy mode.

ianmac23 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Why do you need so much power?

Because my wife loves the RV and not roughing it

Why don't you just toodle down to Texas in August and you'll figure out why battery banks and solar just don't cut it.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Look again at hybrid inverters with a smaller generator. My RV behaves as if it is on shore power all the time and I can run any two high draw items as well as all the low draw. When I do run the Yamaha generator the Magnum inverter/charger takes care of any surges and I can run it in economy mode.

ianmac23 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ianmac23
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

2010 GMC Sierra, 1500, SLT, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.2L, Max Towing Package,2011 Keystone Passport Ultralight Limited Edition

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Three potential problem areas or one your choice. Three tanks to fill,etc....

No-brainer to me.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

ianmac23
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
http://durationpower.com/store//index.html

I am thinking about 3-2000's or 1-7000.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
That's why one would invest in a significant battery bank. 2000 amp-hours of LI would laugh at a night of air.

Works for me. I'll PM you my address and you can send 'em down! Either that, or send me your CC#. 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
That's why one would invest in a significant battery bank. 2000 amp-hours of LI would laugh at a night of air.
Regards, Don

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Lyle,

That's what I thought, too until I researched it using google. A demand governor on the non inverter is what keeps the frequency correct, so under low loads they use little fuel. The inverter type has to speed up and that takes extra energy. I was pretty shocked to find that the inverter type used more fuel.

I'd prefer to be 100% solar and burn no fuel at all.

laknox wrote:
Hmmm... The Honda 7000i burns 0.784 g/h at rated load while the 6500 burns 0.887 g/h at its rated load; a 13% difference. The 6500 runs wide open all the time; the 7000 will idle down based on load. Pretty straight-forward to me...

Lyle

Hard to run the A/C on solar, at night. 🙂

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Lyle,

That's what I thought, too until I researched it using google. A demand governor on the non inverter is what keeps the frequency correct, so under low loads they use little fuel. The inverter type has to speed up and that takes extra energy. I was pretty shocked to find that the inverter type used more fuel.

I'd prefer to be 100% solar and burn no fuel at all.

laknox wrote:
Hmmm... The Honda 7000i burns 0.784 g/h at rated load while the 6500 burns 0.887 g/h at its rated load; a 13% difference. The 6500 runs wide open all the time; the 7000 will idle down based on load. Pretty straight-forward to me...

Lyle
Regards, Don

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
We boondock 10-12 trips a year for an average of 4 days per, our 5er has two ACs. I have a 6500 Honda with remote start in a ducted enclosure in the truck bed. If no AC in needed the gen runs in Eco mode at about 3 hours per gallon, out in the desert with both ACs running it drops to 1-11/2 GPH with power to spare. You could "get by with less" I prefer to have plenty.
The older we get, the faster we go

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
This is slightly true but ONLY if the two generator types have similar outputs. i.e. compare a 5k inverter to a 5k traditional--and the inverter may not win on fuel economy.

laknox wrote:
If you want long run-time, then get an inverter-style generator as it will only run at the speed needed to supply the load demand. You'll burn a =lot= less fuel than with a straight genny, like the Onans.

Lyle

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A