cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting right height or truck & hitch

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Truck is a 2014 Ram 4X4 CC 6.5 bed - prospective 5th wheel is a Cougar Xlite but the question applies to pretty much any new brand.

The bed rails and overall bed height on my Ram seem to be higher than on my past truck (06 Chevy Silverado 4X4). I don't want to worry about clearance and do some mild off-road camping from time to time. So, I'm thinking I want to be on the upper end of the standard bedrail to 5th clearance. So, 6" or so would be ideal.

Basically, what is the process to raise a newer 5th wheel a couple inches to get a nice level ride and good rail clearance? Or, are newer 5th wheels set at a height that will line up with my newer truck and give me good clearance?
9 REPLIES 9

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, we have a 2005 Cardinal 29WBLX that came with the optional taller LT235/85R16 tires and the trailer was raised 3.5 to be level on our old truck. We recently got a similar 3500 4x4 CC SB RAM.

We have about 6" with the new truck.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to figure out what idiot at the respective 3 big mfgs of trucks decided we needed stepladders to get in them? I have 18" tires and still have 6" over the top of the tire to the bottom of the fenderwell. Lots of clearance so why so tall????
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
i bought a 2006 ford dually it was higher then my 2002 ford so my 2002 pasisade 5th wheel was not hight enough for the 2006 so i had sub frame put under it now it works great . mkinde had no axels to flip

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
mtofell1 wrote:
Truck is a 2014 Ram 4X4 CC 6.5 bed - prospective 5th wheel is a Cougar Xlite but the question applies to pretty much any new brand.

The bed rails and overall bed height on my Ram seem to be higher than on my past truck (06 Chevy Silverado 4X4). I don't want to worry about clearance and do some mild off-road camping from time to time. So, I'm thinking I want to be on the upper end of the standard bedrail to 5th clearance. So, 6" or so would be ideal.

Basically, what is the process to raise a newer 5th wheel a couple inches to get a nice level ride and good rail clearance? Or, are newer 5th wheels set at a height that will line up with my newer truck and give me good clearance?

There are several ways to raise a FW, if needed. First, check to see if the springs and equalizer are in their lowest holes. Second, check to see if your springs are above or below the axle tube. If below, you can get a kit to move the springs above the axle and gain 3+ inches in height. If they're already over the tube, you're out of luck. Third, add a Correct Track alignment system. Not real expensive and gives you 2" lift as well as the ability to align your axles. Fourth, and most extreme, is an actual lift to the FW. I've seen some that only needed 1-2" and opted for heavier, longer spring and equalizer hangers, often with cross-bracing between them for lateral support. The next option is, as previously detailed, a complete sub-frame between the main frame and the suspension. There are a number of project threads and pictures on here if you search them out. This is not as expensive a proposition as you might think, with most 3rd party jobs coming in well < $1k and DIY jobs for much less than this. Personally, we do some boondocking and I have 8" clearance. I've used nearly all this when getting into our usual site, but not yet (knock on my head) hit the bed. I =could= gain a touch more with an axle flip but not going to spend the money as I'm currently trying to sell my FW.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
Another plus to a level fiver is when Walmarting for the evening you don't have to look for the correct slope in the parking lot to get level for the night.
My experience when I went from an F150 to an F350 and was very nose high, was to change from the now unneeded Sidewinder pin box to a MorRyde pin box for a 1" or more drop (installer forgot to measure) in the nose. I also had replaced the original MorRyde CRE 3000 equalizers with the Dexter EZ Flex and wet bolts which lowered my fiver about an inch, so I swapped the EZ Flex for new CRE 3000 and am now level. The towing is a lot smoother now due to the MorRyde cushioned pin box.
One caveat, don't go by looks which can be deceiving. I thought I was still a little nose high by the look of it, but a bubble level on the floor proved me wrong.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Benjim wrote:

Others will claim you are OK with 4".

I'd like to send them the $680 invoice (in 1996 dollars) to repair the caved in bed rail on my 1996 Ram dually. Ever since this 1996 fiasco, I've been in the 6" minimum/8" preferred clearance camp and never had a problem.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses.... In looking at setups rolling down the road it seems some older 5ths with newer trucks are riding quite a bit nose high. I'm hoping newer 5ths like I'm looking at have a bit higher pins to keep up with the new trucks but am not sure.

My biggest concern is backing into my driveway which crests at the curb and then goes down to my house. My last 5th would hit (slightly) unless I slid the hitch back. Not really a big deal to use the hitch but was just worried with the taller truck it could be worse. I'll start gathering height numbers once I get further down the road of purchase. Thanks!

Benjim
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:

Here's what I did in Mach 2014.
"Here's an update. Got my Pullrite hitch installed today. Set the FW on it and got another inch on the weight. The estimated clearance with the FW level is approx 5 inches. Still looking for at least 6". Could have the front end up an inch which would work. I've decided to go with a two inch subframe. Here's why. Didn't know what to do with $1600..kidding. I talked to rep at Airborne. He stated should be running at least 7 inches. Think he is covering his ***. His approach is for a 5 degree lest you need 7.3" on a 48" span. He stated no issues running your rig up 2 to 3 inches in the front. Suspension will cover that variance. Other reason, I'm a bit risk adverse and would like the added clearance. Also I get a level FW. Interesting as the 2012 RAM is 2 inches lower than the 13 and 14 RAMs, according to RAM specs. Would have been perfect. Getting the sub frame installed Monday and hopefully in our back yard late afternoon. I'll get pictures out as soon as the snow is gone and warms up. The shop I'm having the work done wasn't fussy about the Correct Trac as there preference was to weld to the frame. Did not get into a debate with them as three installers seem to agree best approach was a subframe but could adjust to get 5" level. "

Update:
Today, after 20k miles, I'm very happy with my decision. I have 7" clearance and never worry about touching my box. The 5W pulls great, with no side wind pressure when meeting semi's on the highway...no sway. I believe the carriage height allows some of the draft to go under the 5W. I have a tight back-in to my backyard to park the 5W. There is a 10" cavity in the centre of the back lane for water drainage. When I back in, I can end up with only 1 to 2 inches of clearance. In addition I have a level TV and 5W. This is just my experience. Others will claim you are OK with 4".

One other note. You can adjust your pin for height. I did not as 5W would not run level. Hook up your 5W to the truck, measure the differences in height on your TV and front and rear 5W frame. I also used a level on the 5W..I was parked on a level pad. Stand back and view the complete rig. Be comfortable with how it looks. I also added forklift stable load to engage my overload springs which resulted in a level TV..reduced sage. Air bags would be ideal.

Good luck and wise to consider clearance issues.
2014 Arctic Fox 27 5L Fifth Wheel
2013.8 Ram Larimie 3500 HD 4X4 Asin, Transfer Flow 50 gal Max Flo auxiliary Tank, PullRite Superglide

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
I have same truck, but 2015
purchased a 2001 cardinal. at first when I measured it seemed not enough room. I took it to a dealer in corning Ca and had the 5th delivered. he was going to flip the axles, but found out I was fine.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚