Explorer
Explorer
The backstory:
Temp about 70-75
Roads - Good
5vr dry weight - 12K
Loaded weight - roughly 14K, capacity 3080 lbs
Tire - 2.5 year old Goodyear Marathon ST235/80R16 about 8-10,000 miles

This is the 5th failure since we bought the 5ver new in 2011. First caught four in 2014 with tread bulges prior to blowout and replaced after about 8,000 miles or 3 years old. This set has about the same number of miles and we had the blowout. Do I now have three timebombs left?

Tire load rating is only 3420 at 80 psi. These are the factory tires but seem light for this 5vr. Are the tires junk? Are they too light for the load (within limits)?

I checked them before the trip, inflation was spot on and saw no evidence really of UV damage (cracking,etc.). Of course I always check when stopped as well.

Any ideas, tips? Thinking full replacement when we get home, maybe Michelin? With heavier load rating?

5vr is the one in the signature.

The best part - cap wrapped around the axle and locked the wheel, so nice flat spot on aluminum rim before I could get stopped. Luckily, no damage to brake wiring.

Jamie - KE0NSE
2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS
2019 Chevy Silverado CC SRW 3500HD, Max & Alli
Beautiful Wife of only 24 Years:B
Boy at College - 21yrs,:C
Boy - 15yrs:p
18 REPLIES 18

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
My wheels are rated for 110psi. I am running the Sailuns at 105psi. I don't think you want to go too low because of sidewall flex when backing up sharply.

Jhurk
Explorer
Explorer
kzspree320 wrote:
Mine looks the same as yours almost. I had a GY Marathon do the same thing Memorial Day. Fifth wheel is 2014 model so tires were not old, I was driving 65 on the interstate, and the pressure was at 77 psi when I checked early in the morning. I had the Sailun S637s in 235/80-16 (G rated) installed today. I've also decided to invest in a TPMS system. The Sailuns are quite a bit heavier and stout. Good luck.

What rating is your rim? What psi are you using for your Sailun tires? I want to go to Sailun but I only have a rim rated for 80 psi. Sailun's tire chart has inflation table for 70psi to 110 so I believe you can lower psi to 80 but most forum replies say no should inflate to max rating on sidewall for ST tire?
Jim Hurkett Chilliwack BC
2014 Dodge Ram 3500 Limited SWA
2009 Cardinal 30 TS

Braces
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe try Light Truck tires. Rating requirements are more stringent and they have higher speed ratings which I don't take advantage of. Really like my Firestone Transforce LT replacements for the OEM Towmax STs which I had to replace with about 3000 miles on them. Less worry, less stress. Some Mfgs are now mounting LTs.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
This is the 5th failure since we bought the 5ver new in 2011. First caught four in 2014 with tread bulges prior to blowout and replaced after about 8,000 miles or 3 years old. This set has about the same number of miles and we had the blowout. Do I now have three timebombs left?

More than likely.

Check out Marathon tire complaints tire complaints website. Shows 137 Marathon and Marathon ST tire complaints. And its not because they are made in china as we had more issues with them when they were made in usa. Their just a cheap poorly designed and mfg tire.
For 7k axles the Sailun S637 ST or Goodyears G614 RST LT both are a commercial grade all steel carcass tire made for the regional service trailer industry.

For 6k axles the all steel ply carcass commercial grade LT Bridgestone R-250 and Michelin XPS Ribs are tops.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to stay with 235/80R16 Sailuns are just about your only choice as it appears this size is dedicated to trailer tires. I haven't had a failure but I need 80 series tires for clearance issues. I most likely will go with the Goodyear Endurance. They run about $150 per tire.

Since you are looking at new rims anyway you will need some that are 110 psi capable if going with the Sailuns. If you have sufficient clearance (above and between) to go to 235/85R16 then Michelin XPS Ribs might warrant a look or move into LT tires.

When running at 14k pounds and assuming 20% pin weight you are averaging 2,800# per tire. If you have a major left/right bias you could be running at close to capacity on two of the tires.

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 2011 40' FR. Cardinal. Less than a year old and less than 10,000 miles. Along side the road twice. Junk the marathons, cause IMHO , THEY ARE. having the new Goodyear Endurance installed on my new one.

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
After the 2nd blowout I'd changed brands or at least models. Hate to see it happen but at least it didn't cause an accident with another vehicle. Hopefully Goodyear will take care of it.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Marathon is obsolete. The new tire is Goodyear Endurance. Much improved rating and construction.

Either way look for tires that will carry the full trailer GVWR.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I would have bailed on the OEM junk after the first failure.
I am now at the point where I simply don't trust the OEM tires any longer than 1 season
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

hyattjlbb
Explorer
Explorer
Fisher Bill, that was the back driver side. kzspree320, ours is a 2011 but we replaced all four marathons in 2014 as we drove home from SC. One tire a day as the tread would be bulging. Needless to say, I am an expert at changing trailer tires and can rival a NASCAR pit crew for speed.
Jamie - KE0NSE
2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS
2019 Chevy Silverado CC SRW 3500HD, Max & Alli
Beautiful Wife of only 24 Years:B
Boy at College - 21yrs,:C
Boy - 15yrs:p

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
Mine looks the same as yours almost. I had a GY Marathon do the same thing Memorial Day. Fifth wheel is 2014 model so tires were not old, I was driving 65 on the interstate, and the pressure was at 77 psi when I checked early in the morning. I had the Sailun S637s in 235/80-16 (G rated) installed today. I've also decided to invest in a TPMS system. The Sailuns are quite a bit heavier and stout. Good luck.

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Was that towards the front or the back of coach?

Mine seems to run nose high and I wonder if I'm putting too much on the back set
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
We had factory Marathons on our 2010 Jayco 5ver for 5 years without any issues. Ours were U.S. made. Not sure when they stopped making them in the U.S.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure you save the remains and take it to Goodyear. While the tires don't do well since they went to making them in China they are pretty good at paying for damages.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A