cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grand Design Momentum , Think Twice Before BIG Mistake

sc1camping
Explorer
Explorer
I would think twice about Grand Design Momentum. I own one it has been camped in twice. So far I have replaced all grease seals and brakes shoes. GD response was a link to LCI were I could buy new parts. Awning upgrade, Kitchen faucet replacement, Rear toy hauler ramp repair to keep it from falling off. Five new tires.Garage lights replaced. Propane tank retainers replaced. Fuel filter added to gen set. Awning light replaced. Replaced DVD/stereo system. All of this was done out of my wallet. The last straw for me was when my main (center) 15K AC went out at 25 hours of use. We where out of town with 3 guest in RV. GD was of no help. I ended up getting the only Dometic certified installer in area to replace it. Cost to me
$ 900. I took the time and effort to bring old AC home. I contacted GD once we got home and offered to take it local dealer or whoever they wanted to look at it within 75 miles. That was 3 weeks ago never heard anything from them.
The Grand Design Owners Forum is tightly controlled for negative comments so don't get fooled like I did.
65 REPLIES 65

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Easy Jim. First you call the OP a troll and now your reading Chris the riot act. The truth is somewhere in there but lets not jump down everyone's throat after their first post.
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Chris, you may be something special on another forum, but here you're just a new member giving us input...nothing more, nothing less...We dont much care what we're hearing about the website, more concerned about what the dealer and GD DIDN'T do for sc1. So dont try to take over on RV.net....it ISN'T "YOUR" forum. Give your input and we're smart enough to glean what we've heard and make decisions from there.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

cdtretta
Explorer
Explorer
Scott,
Why were your warranty issues refused? Based on your comments here, it sounds like there is a further issue. Someone else had asked you below why you were not getting any resolution. Maybe you'd like to enlighten the rest of the forum why that was.

All,
Things on the internet are not always what they seem. If you have questions, then please don't hesitate to contact me. I have no horse in this race, other than to defend my web forum. I do know the rest of the story though, and would encourage you to also look a the first responses to this post.

Chris

sc1camping wrote:
I would think twice about Grand Design Momentum. I own one it has been camped in twice. So far I have replaced all grease seals and brakes shoes. GD response was a link to LCI were I could buy new parts. Awning upgrade, Kitchen faucet replacement, Rear toy hauler ramp repair to keep it from falling off. Five new tires.Garage lights replaced. Propane tank retainers replaced. Fuel filter added to gen set. Awning light replaced. Replaced DVD/stereo system. All of this was done out of my wallet. The last straw for me was when my main (center) 15K AC went out at 25 hours of use. We where out of town with 3 guest in RV. GD was of no help. I ended up getting the only Dometic certified installer in area to replace it. Cost to me
$ 900. I took the time and effort to bring old AC home. I contacted GD once we got home and offered to take it local dealer or whoever they wanted to look at it within 75 miles. That was 3 weeks ago never heard anything from them.
The Grand Design Owners Forum is tightly controlled for negative comments so don't get fooled like I did.

cdtretta
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design does not influence the forum at all. They are all paying members, same as the rest. If they went after members, and failed to follow the rules of the forum, then I would ban them as well. I encourage productive dialog on the forum, but I refuse to put up with people who's entire agenda is to bully and intimidate other users or the manufacturer in order to get what they want.

Grand Design does not run Granddesignowners.com, I do. I also run Trailmanorowners.com. I allow Grand Design to represent themselves on the forum in the manufacturer's section.

Chris

trail-explorer wrote:
sc1camping wrote:

GD might be influencing the private owners of the forum if negative feedback isn't allowed, and/or gets deleted.

I've actually never seen a forum being totally run by a given manufacture whose products are the reason the forum exists. Sometimes company reps will post if people have questions, but from what I've seen, company employees don't participate very actively - that's been my experience with other forums I'm on.

I looked at a huge GD 5th wheel toy hauler recently after hearing about them here on RV.net.
I wasn't impressed with the workmanship on the paneling, trim pieces, etc, and I didn't even go more than 1 step inside the door.

roadking59
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the issues with your Grand Design Scott...
Regards,

AJ

2015 FORD F450 SUPER DUTY 6.7
Grand Design Momentum 350M
2012 H-D ROADGLIDE Ultra

jsr21
Explorer
Explorer
sc1camping wrote:
I just wanted to add. I am not new to the RV game. Started 25 years ago with tent, then a pop up, 2 travel trailers and GD is my 3rd 5th wheel. My second was a KZ New Vision Toy hauler. By far the best I have owned. It was great RV with just normal small RV problems, I owned it for 10 years. As far as " not bright " on warranty issues. I may be old school but I ask politely for help or service. Once ignored I fix things at my own cost quickly.
Yes I am unhappy with GD but main goal is to keep others from making same mistake I did.

sc1camping...are/were you staying this summer in Libby MT? Me and my buddy met a guy with a GD that he was unhappy with and he previously had
a New Vision

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
sc1camping, sounds like you got the bad end of a deal. I apologize for doubting you. Changes my thoughts about GD. I wouldnt recommend it to anyone going by your experience. Ive been rv'ing over 40 years and thats worse experience I've heard of on a brand new unit....shame on the manufacturer AND dealership you purchased from
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

sc1camping
Explorer
Explorer
I just wanted to add. I am not new to the RV game. Started 25 years ago with tent, then a pop up, 2 travel trailers and GD is my 3rd 5th wheel. My second was a KZ New Vision Toy hauler. By far the best I have owned. It was great RV with just normal small RV problems, I owned it for 10 years. As far as " not bright " on warranty issues. I may be old school but I ask politely for help or service. Once ignored I fix things at my own cost quickly.
Yes I am unhappy with GD but main goal is to keep others from making same mistake I did.

sc1camping
Explorer
Explorer
I am the first one to admit I was "not bright or stupid " in my purchase. Last week a poster asked about about customer service on GD web site I answered honestly about my AC experience vs a owner at GD rally who had one shipped overnight and installed next day free of charge. Apparently his dealer was involved and used it as a sales tool. I must have hit a nerve because they deleted my paid for membership next day and banned me from sight.
Below is HIS response at different website.

I just wanted to add no hard feelings about being kicked off of GD web site. You probably did me a favor. I did not really understand how tightly GD has control on this web sight.
Yes, it's the same person. Are you saying they totally kicked you off the forum? If so, that's pure BS. You said nothing bad at all, just your experience and it wasn't like you were even talking bad about them. Sorry they did that but it'll just hurt them in the future if they won't allow both good and bad reviews. That's how a company improves; they listen to all customers and take the good and bad and learn from it.

I had a feeling right from the beginning it was a tightly controlled forum. Too much cheerleading and no negative comments at all and if there were any negative comments they were quickly squashed.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
sc1camping wrote:

GD might be influencing the private owners of the forum if negative feedback isn't allowed, and/or gets deleted.

I've actually never seen a forum being totally run by a given manufacture whose products are the reason the forum exists. Sometimes company reps will post if people have questions, but from what I've seen, company employees don't participate very actively - that's been my experience with other forums I'm on.

I looked at a huge GD 5th wheel toy hauler recently after hearing about them here on RV.net.
I wasn't impressed with the workmanship on the paneling, trim pieces, etc, and I didn't even go more than 1 step inside the door.
Bob

roadking59
Explorer
Explorer
I will say this about the OP's post...The GD owners forum is very tightly controlled...But then again, so is every manufacturers forum.
Regards,

AJ

2015 FORD F450 SUPER DUTY 6.7
Grand Design Momentum 350M
2012 H-D ROADGLIDE Ultra

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
taken wrote:
SC1 is for real. They've posted the same experience over on IRV2.

If its real, then he isn't very bright to spend all that money to fix things that should have been covered under warranty, AND IF true that GD never got involved. Then I would NEVER own one or recommend anyone buy one, either way, pathetic set of circumstances.

NC
Nice to see you playing with us again.

chevman

Hey Larry, I was admitted into therapy a week ago. Left arm, at this time is useless, but left leg is getting stronger, though I do need help with walking. Got bored and looked at forums....Lord willing, I'll be able to drive again sooner than later and camp in our, never been slept in yet,Jayco TH.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

taken
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:

If its real, then he isn't very bright to spend all that money to fix things that should have been covered under warranty, AND IF true that GD never got involved. Then I would NEVER own one or recommend anyone buy one, either way, pathetic set of circumstances.

I would tend to agree. Most time when these things happen it's usually both parties are partially to blame. However, without ever being able to know the full story, we can only speculate. I do understand being upset and wanting to vent though...
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
taken wrote:

NC
Nice to see you playing with us again.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:

B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet