cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grand Design to Forest River XLR......need advice....

nguyenbio
Explorer
Explorer
Hello from So. Cal!
I am wanting to trade in my 2014 Grand Design Refelctions for a new 375xlr and have a few questions if you don't mind. We have been very happy with the Grand Design unit but the DW loves the Xlrs.

1. We need every inch of the stated garage length of 12'6". Is this number accurate?

2. How would owners of the Xlrs rate the quality, customer support, satisfaction?

3. The options on the stability of the tow and low pin weight? I have a 2015 F350 cc SRW long bed.

4. Is the full body paint worth it?

5. Has anyone bought from Parris Rv in Murphy, Utah? Opinions?

6. Any opinions on anything I left out?

We are hoping to order one real soon!

Joe
Joe
2014 Ford F250 6.7L Crewcab Beast
2014 Grand Design Reflections 303RLS
46 REPLIES 46

taken
Explorer
Explorer
The weight shifted to the front because with a lighter pin the truck was more level taking out the 1" dip to the rear it had with the heavier pin. Leveling the truck will always shift some weight to the front axle. This also works for those that use airbags. If I had airbags and used them to level the truck, even if the pin stayed the same, some of the weight would get shifted to the front once the truck was leveled. I never realized this until one of the moderators on the Ford forums I frequent did a test of his own. He weighed his truck/trailer as a package with his bags deflated and the rear sagging just a touch. He then aired up his bags to level out his truck and immediately drove back across the scale. He found the same as I did this spring that leveling the truck distributes more weight to the front axle.

To illustrate, here are two pictures from the two trips where I scaled my rig. Again the first is with the garage and tanks empty. You can see my truck is down a touch in the rear. The second is with the garage loaded and the fresh tanks full. The truck is almost dead level from having a lighter pin and thus has also shifted some weight to the front.

Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
taken wrote:
lawnspecialties wrote:
I know that GCW number will upset some. But I'd be perfectly fine with that. What an awesome rear truck axle weight. Must be a toy hauler with a pin weight that's actually comparable to what the "stated pin weight" is. What a concept.

I was told my the plant manager at XLR (Bob Elson) while my rig was still on order that their pin weights were VERY accurate. What a pleasant surprise to find it to be quite true! XLR also has what I believe to be an industry exclusive. Tuson electronic sway control. It can pulse one side of the brakes or the other to straighten out a sway situation. I can say that with a lighter pin and a SRW truck, this is the hot setup and makes my package tow like an arrow...

Yes, some will be upset with my GCWR. The good part is I am happy with it and could care less if they aren't...LOL... People on RV forums get way too personally involved with their opinions of other people's rigs as well as what others think of theirs.

Like I stated...curious what the real numbers were.

Interesting to see the shift on weight between the 'empty' to 'loaded'
Front axle actually went up 100#
Rear axle went down 300#
TH axle and GCWR increased 2600#

Strange that front axle weight increased when pin weight decreased??

Thanks for posting.

I am over on my trucks GVWR and right at rear tire/RAWR but under GCVWR
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

taken
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:
I know that GCW number will upset some. But I'd be perfectly fine with that. What an awesome rear truck axle weight. Must be a toy hauler with a pin weight that's actually comparable to what the "stated pin weight" is. What a concept.

I was told my the plant manager at XLR (Bob Elson) while my rig was still on order that their pin weights were VERY accurate. What a pleasant surprise to find it to be quite true! XLR also has what I believe to be an industry exclusive. Tuson electronic sway control. It can pulse one side of the brakes or the other to straighten out a sway situation. I can say that with a lighter pin and a SRW truck, this is the hot setup and makes my package tow like an arrow...

Yes, some will be upset with my GCWR. The good part is I am happy with it and could care less if they aren't...LOL... People on RV forums get way too personally involved with their opinions of other people's rigs as well as what others think of theirs.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
taken

TV - 2012 F350 SRW SC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Just curious what your Scaled Weight Numbers are :H

That 2012 F350 has a MAX Tow of 15,700# and GCVWR of 23,500#
That 2015 395AMP has a UVW of 14,516# and a GVWR of 21,000#

I am over on GCWR which isn't of concern to me and under on my axle weights, tire ratings, and truck GVWR. Below are my two trips to the scales. Top one is with the garage and tanks empty. Bottom is with 1300 in the garage and water tanks full.

Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
taken

TV - 2012 F350 SRW SC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Just curious what your Scaled Weight Numbers are :H

That 2012 F350 has a MAX Tow of 15,700# and GCVWR of 23,500#
That 2015 395AMP has a UVW of 14,516# and a GVWR of 21,000#
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

I get it now, after all OUR back and forth now you weren't talking to me in the first place.:? I guess you forgot this is an open forum where everyone is free to respond!:S

Actually no, you still don't get it. You were responding to something I said to someone else as if it was directed at you. FBP took a shot from Bumpy so I fired one back as his assessment about vanity was nonsense. Yes, I played along with your silliness but have grown bored of it now. And, why you're now responding again days later has me puzzled. Got a light schedule today there Lantley? For god sakes man, let it go. Go chase your wife around or something.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
taken wrote:
Funny you needed to respond to my first post as if I was talking to you AT ALL. My post was in response to Bumpyroad saying that those of us with FBP were doing it to stroke our ego's. Nothing to do with you but you felt the need to pile on. Guess it hit a little too close to home for you... The more you type the clearer that becomes.

I get it now, after all OUR back and forth now you weren't talking to me in the first place.:? I guess you forgot this is an open forum where everyone is free to respond!:S
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe. I haven't been in one in years but I remember that was the way they were the last time I looked at them at the RV shows. Aluminum roof and fiberglass cap. I thought the side panels were aluminum too? Maybe I'm all wet on this one. I do know that the paint on the ones I saw seemed like a pre-finished product like a sled trailer. Sorry if I was wrong...

You do have me wondering though. If the sides are fiberglass, are they colored fiberglass like on a boat and not painted? If so that would also explain the fading. Dark colored raw fiberglass or gelcoat needs lots of waxing if left in the sunlight or it fades very quickly. Perhaps that's the case? If so, that also explains why I thought it was metal being so smooth and perfectly applied. The paint job on my RV may be nice but it's clearly painted with the occasional orange peel spot or dust spec in the finish. The W&P ones I looked at looked too perfectly smooth for paint.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Sure about that? Not disputing. Just mine doesn't feel that way. I always thought it was the fiberglass reinforced plywood. Sure feels like fiberglass.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
Nothing at all wrong with multi colored fiberglass with decals. Our last three were that way. However, I like the look of FBP, it does add to resale, and is also much easier to maintain and keep clean.

if you finance that $6,000 over 12 years what will it really cost you?
bumpy

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Work and Play are metal (except the new Catalyst line), kind of like a snowmobile trailer or other enclosed cargo trailer. While they are technically painted, that is not the same paint or finish as a fiberglass trailer with automotive basecoat/clearcoat applied. While FBP fiberglass trailers still need wax just like a car that lives outdoors, they don't fade like a sled/utility trailer.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I would think would be a big factor is where you keep the camper. I have a friend who had a black Work & Play. It sat behind his house facing north. So the driver's side (west) was a nice dull black, almost grey color from the sun after about a year.

That was over five years ago and I suspect the paints are even better now. But if I couldn't keep the camper stored in the shade somewhere or at least a good UV cover, I'd stay away from FBP. But that's just me.

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing at all wrong with multi colored fiberglass with decals. Our last three were that way. However, I like the look of FBP, it does add to resale, and is also much easier to maintain and keep clean.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP