cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grease or Disks for 5th Wheel Hitch Plates?

ccmret
Explorer
Explorer
What is the preferred method to grease your plate on the hitches? Do you prefer the grease disks or traditional grease? I am using a B&W Companion Hitch
31 REPLIES 31

drillking
Explorer
Explorer
Disc for me. Easy and no mess.
Sheridan & Barb
2014 Lifestyle LS37CKSL
2013 F350 Lariat 6.7 DRW
"On our way to the Gloryland with scenic stops along the way"!

FOREVER_FREE
Explorer
Explorer
Teflon disk. Grease is for the big rigs. It would also be very messy and require constant re-greasing if you travel a lot. If your sitting in one spot for extended lengths it would be a good idea to apply a small amount of grease to keep rust from forming.
"BIG BOB" & DIANE:
Sarah (Greyhound), Cooper & Cocoa (Italian Greyhounds) 2005 Prowler Regal AX6 365BSQS
2005 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4, DRW, 8'bed, 6.0 P/S Diesel,
Veterans, the reason we will always be "FOREVER FREE".
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

gailgold
Explorer
Explorer
Teflon Disk. Works great, no mess. ๐Ÿ™‚

64thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
Rygar wrote:
Nothing but a teflon disk.
Works great for me.

Has worked for me for many yrs. All grease will do is attract sand, dirt etc. Plus get all over you if you have to get in the bed for any reason.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

Rygar
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing but a teflon disk.
Works great for me.
2011 Montana 3455SA
2013 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab King Ranch SRW
Gary & Jane Retired Toy Store owners
2 Sheltie Furkids Cammie & Stormy

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
I have a B&W Companion Hitch and use a white nylon disk (I just read the other posts, maybe the disk it teflon) with white grease top and bottom
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Spend the extra money and get a 1/8" spacer from Hensley. It makes it much easier to see when there is clearance to unhitch.

Good call on the B&W!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Used a Teflon disk from 1993 through 2011 when we sold the FW. Never had a problem with it and very clean. Got one for our new FW as well.
John A. Lichty

sele
Explorer
Explorer
teflon disk for 8 years took, a year to smarten up
scott

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
I have a Hensley TS3 air bag hitch. I use the Teflon 1/8" thick disc only (available from Hensley). The 1/4" thick disc will not allow the jaws on the TS3 to close because the tolerance is so close on this hitch. This close pin to jaw tolerance removes any pin "slop" from the equation. No grease required on the disc. I do put a small amount of white lithium grease on the pin and the jaws of the hitch.

Lakeside

Have the same hitch, used an over the counter plate and it works fine.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Been using the same teflon disc since 02. Paint isn't even worn off the hitch plate.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
Got my teflon Curt disk on Amazon. Works great and little mess (still have to lube the kingpin itself).
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
ccmret wrote:
Good to know.....updating my terminology.....
Thanks.

The Teflon disc is a good alternative to grease on the hitch "saddle". As an FYI, I previously owned a 5th wheel and used the Companion. I e-mailed B&W regarding grease vs. Teflon disc. The reply I received stated either was acceptable, but if I used a Teflon disc it should not be more than an 8" diameter. That is not a common size, but I did locate them on JC Whitney's website (5 years ago). They last a long time. B&W also recommended application of grease on the trailer kingpin, which I did every trip.

I have been using a 10" disk with my Companion and no problem with it as far as I can tell and as said one stills needs to grease the kingpin.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Hensley TS3 air bag hitch. I use the Teflon 1/8" thick disc only (available from Hensley). The 1/4" thick disc will not allow the jaws on the TS3 to close because the tolerance is so close on this hitch. This close pin to jaw tolerance removes any pin "slop" from the equation. No grease required on the disc. I do put a small amount of white lithium grease on the pin and the jaws of the hitch.

Lakeside