cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handicap accessible toyhaulers

ChingwaRV
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to talk with people using toyhaulers for handicap traveling. My wife and I are looking at traveling for extended periods, 4-6 months at a time, using a modified toyhauler. An accessible enlarged bathroom with a roll-in show and grab bars for getting around. My wife uses a wheelchair and walks short distances with a quad cane after a stroke because she is mostly paralyzed on her left side.

I've seen online, Dune Sport that customizes toyhaulers like this.

Any help would be appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife was recently diagnosed with ALS and our previous fifth wheel was not going to work. Considered getting a unit from Dune Sport but decided against it. For at least $10k less got a Puma 351THSS. It is the only fifth wheel I found with the bathroom on the lower level, next to the garage. And there is sufficient space in the garage next to the bathroom to create a small roll-in shower. Our plan is to use an EZ Lite power wheel chair in the beginning since it folds and weighs 65 lbs. But when a heavy PWC is needed, I will either use a winch or extended ramp to load it, or add a Braun wheel chair lift. I can either widen the 2nd door or just cut a door thru the ramp.

I also have a plan to put a hospital bed in the garage north-to-south and use the existing electric bed lift as a transfer between the bed and wheel chair.

There are also a couple of Outback trailers with side ramps and forward garages that might also work for your needs.

If your looking for a TT instead, the Cherokee Wolf Pack 25PACK12 would be my choice. The garage is also 12 ft long and the split bath might work with minimal mods as a handicapped bath.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Y-Guy
Dune Sport is one of the few that promote their accessible line of Toy Haulers, you can check with others but I'm not sure how big the market is. The Work & Play line might be work checking into. Friend of ours is quadriplegic and needed a special bed and all they ended up getting a very customized (aka expensive) motor home for him. There are companies that specialize in customization but they don't come cheap.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon