cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heating 38ft fifth wheel

melissajean0
Explorer
Explorer
So, it's going to be cold pretty soon here in UT. We're looking for another floor heater. We have propane and two other floor heaters, but last year when we were in Wyoming we noticed it was unbearably cold. To be honest, it was like no heat was on. Of course we were having -40 degree windchills, so I'm sure that didn't help. Our RV is 38 ft long. We need a heater that is electric. Any suggestions? (Yes, I already know about insulating.)
Husband: Jeremy; 1 Springer Spaniel; 1 Toy Schnauzer
F350 SD 4x4
Ford Edge
2008 Forest River Sandpiper
AL, AZ, AR, CO, FL, GA, IL, KY, LA, MS, MO, NM, TN, TX, UT, WY, OK, KS
London, UK, Ipswich, UK.

24 REPLIES 24

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Melissa,

I use electric heated carpets (x 3). The floor is definitely warm!

I've used my RV at -37 c (-34 f).

Peak use was 7000 watts.

I use 2 1/2 size oil filled heaters, one flat panel oil filled heater, one radiant heater, and one fan based heater in the living quarters.

In addition I have a 600 watt fan based heater in the waste tanks area controlled by a mechanical thermostat.

I replaced the furnace return air grill with a dual window fan which is thermostatically controlled. This keeps the fresh water system from freezing up.

Last year I used no propane for space heating or water heating.

melissajean0 wrote:
So, it's going to be cold pretty soon here in UT. We're looking for another floor heater. We have propane and two other floor heaters, but last year when we were in Wyoming we noticed it was unbearably cold. To be honest, it was like no heat was on. Of course we were having -40 degree windchills, so I'm sure that didn't help. Our RV is 38 ft long. We need a heater that is electric. Any suggestions? (Yes, I already know about insulating.)
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
The OP just found out that a SAndpiper is not a 4 season trailer. Best to move it south,

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Ray___June
Explorer
Explorer
Look into the Olympian "Wave 8". We have a "Wave 6" in a 35 foot class A, and it does a decent job of keeping us warm, without using any electricity. It also uses less propane than the furnace, and is silent.
Sold the house, retired, and full timing. 15 years of dreams come true!

2015 Itasca 33C, Black Garnet
2013 Honda CRV EXL toad
Roadmaster Sterling all terrain tow bar
Roadmaster Tow Shield
Roadmaster Guardian
SMI "Stay-in-Play" Brake system
ISL "Toad Charge"

renegade99
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Carriage Cameo that I have used down to 10F below and was able to keep interior at 68F, the floor was a little too chilly for my wife to go barefoot but she only needed a pair of socks, this was without anything but the 40K furnace. I would have skirted it if we had been there longer, but it was only a 4 day stay, so yes there are trailers that can handle the cold.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
n7bsn wrote:
Cheap Heat

YUP!

Ain't cheap but sure works well.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I know; but they are great when the temps are in the mid 30's and 40's. 🙂
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wind chill only affects living creatures

Has no affect on inanimate objects because they don't 'feel' the wind chill

Minus temperatures do require more heat.
RV furnace PLUS space heaters.

We have been in -19*F temps.
Furnace and Two 1500W space heaters....
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
Heat pumps are great but they don't work when it's below freezing.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
I have 50 amp service. We use three portable electric heaters - one the garage, one in the living area, and a small one in the bathroom when we are showering. Only in freezing weather do I need to run the furnace. At 26 F, I can keep the trailer at 74 F. I have replaced the portable heater in the garage with an electric oil heater. I used a tank of propane in two days before I added the portable heaters. After adding the heaters, I used one tank per week.

I really wish I had ac/heat pumps.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
More info on cold weather stays Forum link
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Cheap Heat
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Time to move to a warmer climate!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure, Teton, but there no longer in the RV business.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Off topic but do they actually make a fifth wheel that can withstand that kind of cold comfortably. Without skirting.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!