cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me decide on a hitch

vort_max
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2016 Cougar model 244. CW recommended a Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch but I have concerns since I have a Dodge
Ram short bed. I did have a slider hitch before but found it
difficult to back up, especially in a tight, short spaces.

What would you recommend? Do you think the Anderson would still allow for a nearly full turn?
56 REPLIES 56

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
vort max wrote:
I SINCERELY THANK everyone for their opinion on an appropriate hitch!

I decided on the Anderson gooseneck steel version, mainly based on comments from CW in Boise. the Anderson video of the Cougar 5th wheel and the comments from idad and csamayfield55. Also, it was priced here in Oregon at $450 new which is below the advertised online price. I'll give it a test run and see how sharply I can turn. Hopefully, it will work out fine realizing I must still be careful. Because of my parking situation at home, I also needed something easier, than a slider hitch, to back up.
Nice to know you won't need a block and tackle, a winch, a forklift or another person to help when you want to take it out of the truck. I can take mine out and carry it with one hand.

vort_max
Explorer
Explorer
I SINCERELY THANK everyone for their opinion on an appropriate hitch!

I decided on the Anderson gooseneck steel version, mainly based on comments from CW in Boise. the Anderson video of the Cougar 5th wheel and the comments from idad and csamayfield55. Also, it was priced here in Oregon at $450 new which is below the advertised online price. I'll give it a test run and see how sharply I can turn. Hopefully, it will work out fine realizing I must still be careful. Because of my parking situation at home, I also needed something easier, than a slider hitch, to back up.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
transamz9 wrote:
RustyJC wrote:
OK, then, have you experienced any bed deformation using your RVK3500? I didn't on my 2011 Ram 3500 using the RVK3500 to tow our 19,000 lb GVWR Mobile Suites. The RVK3500 transfers more of the fore/aft rocking moment to the adapter post than did the old u-bolted original Companion.

Rusty

No but I've only had it two a little over two years and my pin weight is less than 4000 pounds and I keep my trailer brakes in great working order and adjusted. Oh and IDK of any "oh Lord" moments to where I had to stop on a dime.

Don't get me wrong Rusty, The 3500 is a very good hitch and I don't think I will ever have another brand. I mean, I have enough confidence in the 3500 that I just removed the factory turnover ball hitch out of my brand new truck and reinstalled my B&W turnover instead of buying the base to fit the factory pucks. Remember also, my towed weight is 20,000 so I max my 3500 out every time I use it.;)

B&W will sell you the base parts to convert your 3500 to a puck system RVK3600. Then you would have a real hitch that carries the weight on the frame rails where is should be! You reuse the uprights, saddle, and head. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
OK, then, have you experienced any bed deformation using your RVK3500? I didn't on my 2011 Ram 3500 using the RVK3500 to tow our 19,000 lb GVWR Mobile Suites. The RVK3500 transfers more of the fore/aft rocking moment to the adapter post than did the old u-bolted original Companion.

Rusty

No but I've only had it two a little over two years and my pin weight is less than 4000 pounds and I keep my trailer brakes in great working order and adjusted. Oh and IDK of any "oh Lord" moments to where I had to stop on a dime.

Don't get me wrong Rusty, The 3500 is a very good hitch and I don't think I will ever have another brand. I mean, I have enough confidence in the 3500 that I just removed the factory turnover ball hitch out of my brand new truck and reinstalled my B&W turnover instead of buying the base to fit the factory pucks. Remember also, my towed weight is 20,000 so I max my 3500 out every time I use it.;)
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
In my short bed 03 Ford and my 08 Ram I used the same SuperGlide for 7 years pulling our Laredo with no issue at all. Its a great hitch and moved the trailer back 14 inches during a hard turn. Fully automatic and I never thought about or worried about the trailer hitting the truck. In my new long bed Ram I have the B&W RVK3600 in the factory pucks and this hitch is a tank. Can't speak to the Andersen but I looked at it and was not impressed.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:

You mean like the 3500 I just switched over from my 2013 to my 2016 last night?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:

You really need to take a look at the current B&W Companion RVK3500. Unlike the old 18K rated Companion, the 20K rated RVK3500 bolts to the sides of a much beefier adapter post and uses the vertical bolt to "pinch" the release pin in the B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch. In my case, this is irrelevant since I use the 25K rated RVK3600 that mounts in the factory Ram 5th wheel hitch prep pucks, but if one is going to critique the Companion, it's most accurate to direct the criticism at the current model.

Rusty

You mean like the 3500 I just switched over from my 2013 to my 2016 last night?

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
And then you look at the Federal Bridge Weight laws that are enforced by each state for commercial hauling and no pickup comes close to being over weight. So that leaves LEO's to check that you are not over your tire ratings, if they so choose. And for states that license tonnage they can check that you are not over what you are paying for. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't like to get involved in these "weight police" discussions, but one should understand that GVWR on these trucks is somewhat of a manipulated marketing and legal number. In this instance, 10,001 to 14,000 lbs GVWR is a Class 3 vehicle, while 14,001 lbs GVWR to 16,000 lbs moves up to Class 4. This has registration, licensing and other implications that may not be reflective of the true capacity of the truck. Payload capacity is a derivative of GVWR as it equals GVWR minus manufacturer's curb weight plus an allowance for a 150 lb driver.

So, yes, one can claim that a truck is "overloaded" if it is over its manufacturer's GVWR or payload ratings, but it should also be understood that those aren't hard "mechanical capability" ratings like the front and rear axle GAWRs. It is commonplace for Class 8 rigs to have a GVWR that is the arithmetic sum of the GAWRs.

Rusty

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I was referring to the weight, I should been specific. I have a very heavy pin at 25 percent.

I am under my rear axle rating by 150# and 550# on the front axle. so no I am not overloaded.

A person can manipulate the numbers however they'd like.
Total Max Payload = 5,436 pounds
Your rig adds 5,635 pounds to the payload
Overloaded is overloaded regardless of axle weight distribution. Being under the weight rating on one category does magically cure the problem of exceeding the weight rating on another category.
These are hard, verifiable numbers.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:

No, I was just poking at him about his tongue weight. LOL I will say though that what causes hitch and bed damage is not having the rig's brakes set up correctly. One good panic stop with the brakes set too light on a hitch that sits on the bed floor will cause some bed damage especially if the pull down bolt is not tight enough on the Companion.

You really need to take a look at the current B&W Companion RVK3500. Unlike the old 18K rated Companion, the 20K rated RVK3500 bolts to the sides of a much beefier adapter post and uses the vertical bolt to "pinch" the release pin in the B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch. In my case, this is irrelevant since I use the 25K rated RVK3600 that mounts in the factory Ram 5th wheel hitch prep pucks, but if one is going to critique the Companion, it's most accurate to direct the criticism at the current model.

Rusty

B&W RVK3600

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:

He has never been over 25k on his trailers! Are you saying that rating is inflated? Chris

No, I was just poking at him about his tongue weight. LOL I will say though that what causes hitch and bed damage is not having the rig's brakes set up correctly. One good panic stop with the brakes set too light on a hitch that sits on the bed floor will cause some bed damage especially if the pull down bolt is not tight enough on the Companion.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
WTP-GC wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Still NO way this would be attached to an Andersen in the back of my truck.

Easy to say that you wouldn't use the Andersen for this trailer because it actually exceeds he tongue weight rating of the UH. Kind of a no-brainer.

But according to the Ram truck website, the model truck you have (including the exact trim package and year per your sig line) only has a payload capacity of 5,436 pounds. According to your suspension inspection form, you're operating at about 200 pounds over your rated payload capacity for the trailer alone (which doesn't include people weight, gear, etc.). It's not unreasonable to suggest that when all other weights are considered, you're exceeding the allowable weight rating by as mush as 750 to 1000 pounds!!

Based upon this information, you are significantly overloaded and should reconsider either your tow vehicle or your trailer for your safety and the safety of others.

I was referring to the weight, I should been specific. I have a very heavy pin at 25 percent.

I am under my rear axle rating by 150# and 550# on the front axle. so no I am not overloaded.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Cummins12V98 doesn't like the Andersen hitch. You'll just have to learn to live with that. Arguing isn't going to change his mind.

I have said they are quality built and are appropriate for the lighter 5ers but no way do I think their ratings are in line with B&W for example.

Do anyone really think Craftsman's shop VAC really develops 6 HP??????
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Still NO way this would be attached to an Andersen in the back of my truck.

Easy to say that you wouldn't use the Andersen for this trailer because it actually exceeds he tongue weight rating of the UH. Kind of a no-brainer.

But according to the Ram truck website, the model truck you have (including the exact trim package and year per your sig line) only has a payload capacity of 5,436 pounds. According to your suspension inspection form, you're operating at about 200 pounds over your rated payload capacity for the trailer alone (which doesn't include people weight, gear, etc.). It's not unreasonable to suggest that when all other weights are considered, you're exceeding the allowable weight rating by as mush as 750 to 1000 pounds!!

Based upon this information, you are significantly overloaded and should reconsider either your tow vehicle or your trailer for your safety and the safety of others.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF