cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me decide on a hitch

vort_max
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2016 Cougar model 244. CW recommended a Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch but I have concerns since I have a Dodge
Ram short bed. I did have a slider hitch before but found it
difficult to back up, especially in a tight, short spaces.

What would you recommend? Do you think the Anderson would still allow for a nearly full turn?
56 REPLIES 56

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
aviator41 wrote:
Wait, I'm confused.

So are you all saying B&W hitches aren't good hitches?

I'm a total newb to towing so I set out to outfit a new truck and landed on the 20K Companion to tow our new 15.5K dry Heartland Oakmont.

It's all new to me. We towed it behind an F350 DRW with the B&W hitch for a couple of hours last weekend and were very happy with the performance of everything. I was expecting "clunks and clangs" from the hitch, but it was as smooth as butter, even when backing the beast down our seriously inclined driveway.

Did I screw up buying the B&W Companion?

You answered your own question. Read what you wrote.

"were very happy with the performance of everything. I was expecting "clunks and clangs" from the hitch, but it was as smooth as butter"

There is not a better non air ride hitch on the market. IMHO you "landed" very well!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have spent the last 1/2 hour cleaning up this thread with all the multi quotes and oversized pictures. I have asked before that if you are going to quote someone, to please only quote the part you want and not the whole thread. It makes the thread too hard to read and the pages too long.

The same goes for oversized pictures. The forum states that pictures should be no wider than 640 pixels. We have a forum picture posting app that will size and post them very easily located here. All you need do is upload your picture, copy the URL, and paste it into your post. Nothing else is needed. Please start using it. I am very tired of constantly having to edit pictures to make them fit my laptop screen.

In the future, if you continue to post quote of quote of quote of quote etc. or post oversized pictures I will delete them and not send a PM as to the reason. Same goes for threads that continue on with multiple quotes.
Thank you for your cooperation. 🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
aviator41 wrote:
Wait, I'm confused.

I'm a total newb to towing so I set out to outfit a new truck and landed on the 20K Companion to tow our new 15.5K dry Heartland Oakmont.

It's all new to me. We towed it behind an F350 DRW with the B&W hitch for a couple of hours last weekend and were very happy with the performance of everything. I was expecting "clunks and clangs" from the hitch, but it was as smooth as butter, even when backing the beast down our seriously inclined driveway.

I don't think anyone here would say that. In fact, many on this board go way overboard in their love affair with B&W. It's a good hitch. Among many good hitches.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

aviator41
Explorer
Explorer
Wait, I'm confused.

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
We're very happy with our Andersen pulling our Jayco. Have fun!
2010 Airstream 27FB Classic Limited
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
How about with any hitch you get do what should always be done........ PRACTICE!!
We bought an inexpensive hitch and after listening or should I say reading what you all argue back and forth about makes me feel even better about what I bought.

Me and the wife practiced for a few days before even going anywhere.
And you know what..... It made a huge difference.

Take your truck and whichever hitch you purchased out and practice.
A few days and bam you will know what you can and can't do.
Use some cones, yes not the same as actually backing between rigs and trees and obstacles but it's a start.
my grandfather has been using the same hitch for close to 30 years and never once used the slider option.... Practice makes skill.... And never once hit his cab.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

NancyLepri
Explorer
Explorer
I am a short lady barely 5 feet tall and I love my superglide pull-rite. I lube it up in the spring with some red grease my trailer repair man gave me and it hooks up great.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
bpounds wrote:
I'm not sure what anything on the last 2 pages has to do with the OP question. Which was about a Cougar 244. You guys just can't resist comparing your johnsons.

"Help me decide on a hitch"

We are helping........

I just have one thing to say to the OP! You have a short bed, and no experience towing a 5er, get yourself a Pull-rite super glide!!!
Just saw a beautiful new Ram 3500 DRW Short Bed with a real nasty cab to 5er dent in the cab!

VERY good advice for a newbie or anyone that does not have to pay attention.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
bpounds wrote:
I'm not sure what anything on the last 2 pages has to do with the OP question. Which was about a Cougar 244. You guys just can't resist comparing your johnsons.

"Help me decide on a hitch"

We are helping........

I just have one thing to say to the OP! You have a short bed, and no experience towing a 5er, get yourself a Pull-rite super glide!!!
Just saw a beautiful new Ram 3500 DRW Short Bed with a real nasty cab to 5er dent in the cab!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
ralphnjoann wrote:
Nice to know you won't need a block and tackle, a winch, a forklift or another person to help when you want to take it out of the truck. I can take mine out and carry it with one hand.
Shoot, if that's the only criteria, he should have gotten a B&W hitch. 'Course I figure the weight of it is little concern, I'm more interested in how it works as a hitch, not a wall hanger. 🙂

To be honest it does takes two hands to carry my B&W. 🙂

I use mine to workout everyday! I would be a real light weight if pumping an Andersen!!!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
WTP-GC wrote:

A person can manipulate the numbers however they'd like.
Total Max Payload = 5,436 pounds
Your rig adds 5,635 pounds to the payload
Overloaded is overloaded regardless of axle weight distribution. Being under the weight rating on one category does magically cure the problem of exceeding the weight rating on another category.
These are hard, verifiable numbers.

Reality is I am very close to the number you cite. The RV was sitting on a concrete floor and not attached to the truck. Trucks don't magically fall apart once that line is crossed. I plan on going to a CAT scale to se what reality is. I had 100gallons of water on board when it was weighed. I normally carry + - 20 gallons.

My truck when new with my self and wife and 7/8 tank fuel weighed 3,634# so if they rate the rear axle at 9,750 it would take 6,100# to reach rear axle capacity. Interesting how the numbers don't make any sense some times.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
Me Again wrote:

He has never been over 25k on his trailers! Are you saying that rating is inflated? Chris

No, I was just poking at him about his tongue weight. LOL I will say though that what causes hitch and bed damage is not having the rig's brakes set up correctly. One good panic stop with the brakes set too light on a hitch that sits on the bed floor will cause some bed damage especially if the pull down bolt is not tight enough on the Companion.

My brakes on my 11 and 18K Companion could not have been set any better since the controller was a MaxBrake. I did have bed deflection and some minor denting along with the base of the hitch bent. B&W sent me a new base along with strips to provide solid support to the bed cross members. After that they came out with the 20K Companion.

Yea my wife loves making jewelry, not the cheap plastic type. Real stones silver and gold components.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
ralphnjoann wrote:
Nice to know you won't need a block and tackle, a winch, a forklift or another person to help when you want to take it out of the truck. I can take mine out and carry it with one hand.
Shoot, if that's the only criteria, he should have gotten a B&W hitch. 'Course I figure the weight of it is little concern, I'm more interested in how it works as a hitch, not a wall hanger. 🙂

Yup, after you take it apart.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
ralphnjoann wrote:

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"