cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed, info and pricing on a 2005 Mobile Suites 36TK3

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
We really like the looks of this one! I tried looking it up on NADA and they only went back as far as 2009.

I have found two for sale in our area...a private party and a dealer. Both are priced at $29,000. What is a possible good price that we could buy one of these for?

Also...is this a quality brand that is constructed for full-timing?
33 REPLIES 33

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Suites are substantially heavier then most trailers. The have heavy frames. They are not built to be light in any way. A new 3500 SRW is the minimum a dually would be preferred.
In general DRV's are built for full time RV'ers they are made they are not made with weekenders or those in the market for a reduced weight camper.
They are about as heavy as you get.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Yikes!! How much heavier are the MS than others?? Are they heavier due to being a four seasons trailer?

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Yikes!! How much heavier are the MS than others?? Are they heavier due to being a four seasons trailer?

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
You should be within the ratings of most newer 1 ton trucks- About 2011 and newer.

My Mobile Suites actual loaded weights would be under all maximum weight ratings of a 2013 1 ton single rear wheel GMC Duramax.(not dully)

Depends on actual trailer and if you have washer/dryer or other options that increase pin weight.

Dully is best with capacity and increased stability from the extra rubber on the road.

Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Those of you who are pulling Mobil Suites, what is you choice of tow vehicle ? From what I have seen ( I will admit I've only seen a few ) it seems F550, or Freightliner seems common.
Point being, are these trailers a bit much for the typical one ton dually, or will a F350 work okay and not be over limit on rear axle rating ?

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit made it sound like the company was sold, it was not. The company was originally named Doubletree, renamed Drv due to the Doubletree hotel chain. It was started by former Sunnybrook employees and the first year of Mobile Suites off the line were built at the Sunnybrook factory, 2004 I believe. The Elite Suites model was added later & Select Suites model was added in 2006, calling it a 2007. It is not the Mobile Suites Company. They now make Elite Suites, Mobile Suites and a new model Tradition. They build a quality unit, we have purchased 2 and would recommend them. I would not buy any used unit without a thorough inspection, it is well worth the cost. There is a suites owners forum, www.suitesowners.com, if you want to ask actual owners any questions, sign up and ask. Luke Porter, I won't debate the quality of the older Newmar, Teton, Carriage or Travel Supremes versus the older Mobile Suite but they are all OOB (well, not Newmar, just quit building towables), Drv is still turning out units. Whether it's because of poor financial planning or something else, who knows.

jsr21
Explorer
Explorer
Luke Porter wrote:
jsr21 wrote:
Luke Porter wrote:
Back in 2005 there was Newmar, Teton, Carriage and Travel Supreme. "Mobile Suites" was a new company and their units were not up to "quality" of the established companys.

Sadly things have changed big time with the loss those old top end products.

DRV has continued to improve and is now the leading top end producer.

But the older "Mobile Suites" products don't compare to top end units of 10 years ago.

Totally disagree...specifically why do you think in 2005 they did not compare?

If you want to think an early Mobile Suites is equal to a upper end Newmar, Teton, Carriage or Travel Supreme---feel free.

I wasn't looking for your opinion...wanted you to provide actual facts

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
My 2004 has electric slides & jacks, the 2005 and up are hydraulic. Overall the unit your looking at worked well for us full time, but some things to check. The rigs came with 7,000lb axles standard and 8,000 were an option. The g rated tires were almost overloaded at the 7,000 loads and the H tire was an option, better in my opinion.If your trailer is the 16,000 gvwr the trailer is heavy, depending on options and does not leave much carrying capacity if your full timing. My trailer was as heavy as 17,200 with a 4,200 lb pin. We pared that down over time but the trailers do tend to have a heavy pin overall. The thick walls help with sound proofing and temperature control. Many units were equipped with dual pane glass, some had the seals fail, the glass didn't break, just fogged up.The gel-coat can easily be polished and the graphics are all paint except for the decal on the nose. A good rub out and polish can bring most any dull rig back to life. The web site for the owners of these units is here and asking any other questions there might be helpful to you. The prices seem to level off at the 25-30 range for the year you are looking at, again depending on condition and options. Hope this helps
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
jsr21 wrote:
Luke Porter wrote:
Back in 2005 there was Newmar, Teton, Carriage and Travel Supreme. "Mobile Suites" was a new company and their units were not up to "quality" of the established companys.

But the older "Mobile Suites" products don't compare to top end units of 10 years ago.

If you want to think an early Mobile Suites is equal to a upper end Newmar, Teton, Carriage or Travel Supreme---feel free.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

jsr21
Explorer
Explorer
Luke Porter wrote:

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer

Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you!

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
MookieKat wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Quality wise they are among the best. Look for them online and see what similar years are selling for. Doesn't sound like a bad price for a quality rug.

B.O.

Is the quality suitable for full-timing?

Yes. But as others have said, at the seemingly low price ( at least to me it seemed low ??? ) listed for this one, give it a good look first.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
Look over carefully. There are a ton of options that could have been added to increase value. Get underneath and see if it has disc brakes or drum. Does it have the Centerpoint (Air bag) suspension? What about the Trailair (air bag) pin box. Check the dual pane windows for clouding which would be caused by a bad seal on the dual pane. Look over the caulk at the seams on the exterior for cracking as that might be the fastest way to make sure that the chances of discovering water damage are minimal. I'm very happy with mine that was purchased used in 2011 from a dealer. I was limited to dealer as I had a unit that needed to be traded. I would have no issues with private purchase if the price and unit checks out. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

Blackcell
Explorer
Explorer
They are intended for full-timing but that doesn't mean it would suit you. Need to go walk thru a few and visualize living in it. Would the floor plan work for you? Prices can vary greatly based on condition. I would not buy from a private party unless you really know what you're doing and very familiar with what to look for inside & out. From a dealer I'd expect you'd get some type of short term warranty along with a PDI & walk-thru.
2009 Carriage Cameo 35SB3, 12.4K dry, 36' Fiver
2012 F350 6.7L 4x4 Lariat Ultimate FX4, Chrome package, Nav, SRW, CC, LB, 11.5K GVWR, 3.55 ELA, 20" wheels, Toyo AT II, Mor/ryde pin box, Husky 26K hitch
United States Navy Combat Veteran