cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help unhitching!

Obewan
Explorer
Explorer
Help! New to fifth wheels but had TT with Hesley Arrow previously. I've read all the manuals that came with the hitch, read as many posts as I can find but still can't find my problem.

I've had no problem hitching but unhitching is another story! I have a Pullright 24k nonslider hitch and MorRyde pin box. My procedure is to lower the front landing gear just enough to remove the weight from the truck. Then I can't get the handle to pull! I've tried pulling the truck forward and even tried backward, raising more, raising less, spraying all the moving parts listed on the manual with white lithium grease and nada. It's taking me 30-45 mins before something happens and it miraculously moves. It works easy when unhitched so I know it's something I'm doing wrong. Dealer hitched it first time and I made sure it rode up on the plate when I hitched to prevent high hitching. A friendly neighbor tried and couldn't get it either.
2015 DRV Mobile Suites 44 Lafayette Walden
2014 Ram Laramie 3500 dually
20 REPLIES 20

Obewan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all! Pulled the lever before putting any weight on the front landing gear - worked like a charm! First pull! Does scare the bejesus out of me not having any weight on the front landing legs when I pull the disconnect but it works! Just dropped them to touch the ground.

jimwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Chock the wheels! Put the truck in neutral. You will feel the pressure release and put it back in park. Works everytime. PM if it works. I had same problem and finall figure neutral takes the pressure off the hitch.
Jim

lpxguy
Explorer
Explorer
luckeydr wrote:
bpounds wrote:
lpxguy wrote:
hmmm my B&W will release even with pressure on it...guess it's a design thing.

You find that reassuring? I wouldn't.

Until you use one, you would not understand.

BINGO!
2005 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW D/A(FOR SALE)
2013 Crusader 335BHS TE(FOR SALE)

luckeydr
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
lpxguy wrote:

Until you use one, you would not understand.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
lpxguy wrote:

Yep, pivot points in front of the jaws, one reason I don't like it! The pin is always trying to pull the jaws open. With my Reese pulling forward forces the jaws shut! I know this andd so once 5er is chocked if the release gives me any issues I just pull forward a bit, and set the parking brake.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
lpxguy wrote:

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

lpxguy
Explorer
Explorer
2005 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW D/A(FOR SALE)
2013 Crusader 335BHS TE(FOR SALE)

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
As some people said, put the FW tire blocks and back up a little to release the pressure.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If no release with simple pull step one, place truck in neutral to release pressure on pin, No release? Step two, DW gently backs truck to relieve pressure on pin. BINGO! Works every time.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Obewan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! I'll be moving the camper on Sunday and will try some of these suggestions and report back.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
According to Pullrite

1)Set trailer wheel chocks to prevent forward/aft movment
Back into the blocked trailer slightly and set the parking brake while the truck is still in gear.
This action will relieve pressure on the Lock Jaw Assembly before attempting to pull the Release Handle.
2)Lower the trailer jacks to the point of just touching the ground but do not raise the trailer at this point.
3)Open the Lock Jaw Assembly by first lifting, then pulling the Release Handle towards you.
4)Lower the trailer jacks until the bottom of the King Pin Box is almost free of the top of the 5th Wheel Plate
Make certain that the bottom of the King Pin is not so high that binding on the hitch Lock Jaw Assembly would result

X2, except I find with my set up that after backing into the hitch, I place my tranny in neutral, then set the brake. It seems to let the pin settle in the center so there is no pressure forward on backward!

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Obewan wrote:
...I've tried pulling the truck forward and even tried backward, raising more, raising less,...

I fought this at first, until I figured it out. You want to backup your truck, to be certain there is no pressure pulling against the jaws. I know you said you tried backing up, but the problem may be that you backup, maybe set your parking brake, maybe not, but either way when you take your foot off the service brake your truck wants to roll forward. And then you've still got the issue. Worst case is when you backed uphill into your site. Truck wants to roll on you.

Try having your partner in the truck, with the truck in reverse, holding rearward pressure against the chocked trailer, while you pull the release lever. I also find it helps to take the weight off the hitch head, with just a tiny gap between the plates, but it should work either way. If you're by yourself and have to do that, you'll have to chock the trailer, chock the truck too, and leave the transmission in reverse while you pull the lever. Caution! And I don't know what to do if you've got a manual trans.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Similar problem with my Reese Elite. Just take most of the weight off, put the truck in reverse, let it bump softly into the hitch, put in park, handle pulls easily.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cmeade wrote:
I am glad I have a B&W. I unpin the lever take the weight off the fifth wheel and pull forward. Friend has a Curt and he has to be centered and straight in front of 5er and no side to side angle or his won't release either.

I have the B&W but I take the weight off "THEN" open the handle.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD