cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help unhitching!

Obewan
Explorer
Explorer
Help! New to fifth wheels but had TT with Hesley Arrow previously. I've read all the manuals that came with the hitch, read as many posts as I can find but still can't find my problem.

I've had no problem hitching but unhitching is another story! I have a Pullright 24k nonslider hitch and MorRyde pin box. My procedure is to lower the front landing gear just enough to remove the weight from the truck. Then I can't get the handle to pull! I've tried pulling the truck forward and even tried backward, raising more, raising less, spraying all the moving parts listed on the manual with white lithium grease and nada. It's taking me 30-45 mins before something happens and it miraculously moves. It works easy when unhitched so I know it's something I'm doing wrong. Dealer hitched it first time and I made sure it rode up on the plate when I hitched to prevent high hitching. A friendly neighbor tried and couldn't get it either.
2015 DRV Mobile Suites 44 Lafayette Walden
2014 Ram Laramie 3500 dually
20 REPLIES 20

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have your hitch, but I always have to back up a little to take the pressure off my latch before I can pull the handle.
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
I've got the Pullrite 18K and have the same challenges. You are doing it the same as me but I now I try to have the TV and 5er straight when I finish parking, then I set my chocks and raise the landing gear until the pin height is centered in the jaw. If it doesn't release I move the TV forward or back a bit as appropriate to relieve any stress and that usually works. It also helps to be mindful of any grade on your new site. If you had to push it uphill to park it then you will probably need to pull forward slightly after the landing gear is down, etc. It's all about finding that sweet spot. Once you find it life gets better.

Also keep up the good cleaning and lubing you have been doing. It does help.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
I am glad I have a B&W. I unpin the lever take the weight off the fifth wheel and pull forward. Friend has a Curt and he has to be centered and straight in front of 5er and no side to side angle or his won't release either.

TGPILOT
Explorer
Explorer
Simple, it happens all the time. Just raise the RV up until the weight is off and maybe a bit more. If you pull the release and it's hard, make sure the RV is chocked, get in the truck and put it in reverse with your foot on the break. You may have to let it move reward just a bit, not the RV, just release the pressure. Then put the TV back in gear and pull the pin.

robrose1
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my rig after I set the chocks I pull the release handle before I put weight on the landing legs. Try it maybe when you raise rig it is binding.
Rob and Rose
2013 Winnebago Lite Five 29FWRLS
2006 GMC DURAMAX/ALLISON

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
According to Pullrite

1)Set trailer wheel chocks to prevent forward/aft movment
Back into the blocked trailer slightly and set the parking brake while the truck is still in gear.
This action will relieve pressure on the Lock Jaw Assembly before attempting to pull the Release Handle.
2)Lower the trailer jacks to the point of just touching the ground but do not raise the trailer at this point.
3)Open the Lock Jaw Assembly by first lifting, then pulling the Release Handle towards you.
4)Lower the trailer jacks until the bottom of the King Pin Box is almost free of the top of the 5th Wheel Plate
Make certain that the bottom of the King Pin is not so high that binding on the hitch Lock Jaw Assembly would result
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31