cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with MorRyde Pin Box

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to post this to see if anyone else has had any problems with their MorRyde pin box. I have contacted MorRyde and sent them the same video that I have enclosed a link to in this post. I am contacting them again tomorrow but in the meantime, I'm interested to see if anyone else has experience the same.
I have a 2014 fifth wheel that weights in at 15320 lbs. for a typical trip with a pin weight of 3400 lbs. I purchased the unit new equipped with an optional MorRyde pin box.
My towing experience is very poor in stop and go traffic and I'm experiencing some chucking under way. Even just backing-up and pulling back and forth the noise and "banging" in which I can not only hear but feel passed on through the truck is awful.
I have made marks between the pin box and on various areas of the trailer frame to make sure that there is not a compromise in the trailer frame. That has proven (thank goodness) A-OK.
I have checked the fifth wheel hitch frame brackets and rails for any play or loose bolts......all good.
I have a Trailer Saver hitch with positive locking jaws. They are very tight.
I have explained all this to MorRyde via email and actual conversation as well as sent them the below video. They don't feel the movement is extreme but are puzzled by the noise.
They sent me a new spring (a number 5) and I installed it. Made no difference. I told them that but still no solution.
It is so annoying and unnerving. At every stop and start there is all this play, slop, and noise.
I have owned 2 other trucks and 2 other fifth wheel trailers and never experienced anything like this. My previous fiver had a MorRyde and it was fine.
I was camping this weekend and a neighbor with a MorRyde (2008 year model) looked at mine and said that there is a plastic spacer missing between the sides of the skid plate and the round bars where the rubber shear pin is located. Also, there are holes on the outer edges that hold these white plastic spacer in place. I have the holes, 2 p/side, but not spacers. I thought he was on to something, however, looking around on-line at new ones, I do not see this part.
I hope all this makes since. Please watch the video and give me your thoughts. Its driving me nutts!! Thanks, Phillip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWVJam7rG8M
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL
11 REPLIES 11

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
The rubber spring is not big enough for the weight of the trailer.

last guess.
Bill and Joey the dog

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
you might take out the rubber plugs on top and see if the nuts on the rubber spring were not tightened enough and the bolt holes were elongated causing the fore and aft movement.

So far, that sounds like a possibility. Although, I don't recall seeing anything out of the ordinary when we removed the rubber shear spring to replace it with the new one. There is an awful lot of movement with such little momentum. Thanks, Phillip
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
you might take out the rubber plugs on top and see if the nuts on the rubber spring were not tightened enough and the bolt holes were elongated causing the fore and aft movement.
Bill and Joey the dog

ed-myrna
Explorer
Explorer
I complained to MoRyde about the chucking, they sent me another rubber spring as they did for you but as you found out, it didn't make any difference. I have installed small shock absorbers on mine to limit the rebound of the spring. This has greatly improved the action of the Pin Box. As for you noise, it does seem to be some place in you hitch.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
It appears you are missing the screws that hold the plastic blocks in place clicky

The set up on the standard non gooseneck plate is the same.

The screws are self tapping about 1/2 inch in length and keep the plastic blocks stationary.

You are absolutely right! The fellow camper net to us pointed that out today. However, it appears that MorRyde has deleted that part on newer pin boxes.
The amount of fore/aft movement seems extreme for simply taking the truck in and out of gear. That, to me, would translate into a lot of jerking that I'm feeling but why the sound?
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I accidentally deleted the video where I had mounted the camera to the truck which made it much easier to tell that there was no movement anywhere in the hitch, brackets, or head.
I, along with others have ben in the truck bed and watched closely. The hitch is rock solid as are the rails.
I plan to make another one at weeks end and update the post.
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
its your inner hitch mechanism has alot of foward reverse movemant its not the pin box

the hitch head and the kingpin are both solid, no movement.

Mine on my previous 2008 Bristol Bay made the same sounds.
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
It appears you are missing the screws that hold the plastic blocks in place clicky

The set up on the standard non gooseneck plate is the same.

The screws are self tapping about 1/2 inch in length and keep the plastic blocks stationary.
Bill and Joey the dog

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
its your inner hitch mechanism has alot of foward reverse movemant its not the pin box

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see how that noise could be coming from the pin box. All of the movement seen at the pinbox if dampened by the rubber spring.

I does however look like the hitch in the bed has for/aft movement too?
1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
2010 NuWa Hitchhiker 36LKRSB
2012 Cyclone 300C Triple Axle
2013 Can Am Maverick X-RS
2006 KTM 525 EXC CA Plated

shadoow
Explorer
Explorer
pm sent