cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch Hiker, I'm back!

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hitch Hiker back on the market! Looking good!

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS
18 REPLIES 18

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
topjimmy wrote:
Hickory cabinets for that price they better My 2012 Montana has SOLID hickory throughout even on the fridge they better do better than that for 80k I need to know how it is built underneath before I would spend 80k the mid priced luxury models are really putting ALOT of nice features for less than that

Excel builds their own frames in house. They are fully boxed. The walls and ceiling are all wood framed. The fiberglass exterior is laminated to the framing. One thing Excel does, which others may do also, not sure, is use sheets of fiberglass that are wide enough so no seam is needed near the bottom to join two pieces. I noticed that was on the HH. I doubt if hickory cabinets make them any more functional than anyone else's but they do look nice, as you well know. I would bet the HH's are built the same way.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
oldtrojan66 wrote:
Not a huge deal, but just something we have noticed. Lots of the new rigs have really dark cabinetry and we have decided this is just a fad change to make the 3-6 year old units look older and out of date. Nice to see some lighter colors on a new one. I think the lighter colors make the interior look bigger. JMHO.

david

Yeah, having had both light and dark we prefer the lighter. The inside just seems more homey. Not sure I like the comeback of white cabinets, seems a little extreme.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
Not a huge deal, but just something we have noticed. Lots of the new rigs have really dark cabinetry and we have decided this is just a fad change to make the 3-6 year old units look older and out of date. Nice to see some lighter colors on a new one. I think the lighter colors make the interior look bigger. JMHO.

david
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
topjimmy wrote:
Hickory cabinets for that price they better My 2012 Montana has SOLID hickory throughout even on the fridge they better do better than that for 80k I need to know how it is built underneath before I would spend 80k the mid priced luxury models are really putting ALOT of nice features for less than that
Young's welding had a little bit better reputation then Lippert on frames.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
HEH458 wrote:
They may look the same but an Excel and HH were built a lot different underneath the skin. If Excel is building them, are they building them like an Excel with wood framing and fiberglass insulation or like a HH with aluminum framing and the blue Styrofoam?
Unless I'm wrong the D/A & Champagne Hitch Hiker was built with wood screwed together with blue Dow insulation.

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Duck wrote:
If they are just placing a HH label on the front then it is not a true HH. JMO
Don

I repeat the whole front cap is an HH. No resemblance to an Excel. Mike wanted them built in Kansas, not sure they are. Sure more info will be available.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

HEH458
Explorer
Explorer
They may look the same but an Excel and HH were built a lot different underneath the skin. If Excel is building them, are they building them like an Excel with wood framing and fiberglass insulation or like a HH with aluminum framing and the blue Styrofoam?

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
JTrac wrote:
Has to be an Excel product. Many of the features are an exact duplicate of what is in mine, including the hickory cabinets. Not sure any other manufacturer uses that wood. The water manifold is another give away. You could put a picture of mine with it and you wouldn't know which was which.

My Montana has hickory cabinets.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
If they are just placing a HH label on the front then it is not a true HH. JMO
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
Has to be an Excel product. Many of the features are an exact duplicate of what is in mine, including the hickory cabinets. Not sure any other manufacturer uses that wood. The water manifold is another give away. You could put a picture of mine with it and you wouldn't know which was which.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't heard for sure but general feeling is that they are being built by Excel at Smith Center for NuWa, best of both worlds.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Duck wrote:
From what I have read the trailer is not being built at the Hitchhiker factory. Everything point to Excel. No exact information from Mike Mitchel, owner of NuWa, but he should be posting soon about build methods etc.
Don

Mike mentioned several weeks ago he was working on a deal with an other high end manufacture for NuWa,s. Possibly to build them in his plants. Real details haven't been released. It defiantly has the NuWa front cap on it though.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Excel 34IKE looks like the same floor plan. Chris

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021