cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch too high?

hawkpat
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 3400 Montana RL. Just purchased a F350 to replace my 2500 Silverado. Had a new hitch installed. Top of new hitch is 4-5 inches higher than old hitch as it sits in truck. Means I'm going to have to raise 5th wheel higher to hook up. Landing gear is already 3 inches out. Will I have enough space to run the landing gear 7-9 inches in total (another 4 to 6 inches)? I think I've read in these forums that you can have a problem if you extend the landing gear to far. Is that true? Any advice?
6 REPLIES 6

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Following this thread as I am looking at both a new truck and trailer. I am assuming the 2 wheel drive truck will sit lower but need to actually measure them. Not really interesting in raising the trailer. Other options include lowering the back end of the truck with bags vs. springs?
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are several articles here about the height of the new trucks--I have the same problem.
Watch the clearance of the pin box against the bed rail when turned. Can you move the pin box "up" on the trailer?
Check the clearance of the trailer from the top of the bed sides to the bottom of the trailer.
Is the trailer fairly level when connected to the truck? Do you need to raise the trailer with axle flips or sub frames?
I've had to address all these issues. What's money????

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
hawkpat wrote:
Have a 3400 Montana RL. Just purchased a F350 to replace my 2500 Silverado. Had a new hitch installed. Top of new hitch is 4-5 inches higher than old hitch as it sits in truck. Means I'm going to have to raise 5th wheel higher to hook up. Landing gear is already 3 inches out. Will I have enough space to run the landing gear 7-9 inches in total (another 4 to 6 inches)? I think I've read in these forums that you can have a problem if you extend the landing gear to far. Is that true? Any advice?

So the hitch is the same height from the bed floor, just 4-5" higher when measured to the ground.

what was your old bed rail toe 5er clearance, if more than 6" you can likely drop the hitch a bit.

running down the landing gear another 5" shouldn't hurt anything.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
The truck hitch, in most cases, can also be adjusted, just like the trailer hitch.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't worry as much about extending the landing gear more or less, but rather how nose high will the rig be when hooked up. Are you still going to have 5-6" of bed clearance after you adjust your hitch pin heighths?
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I have home made wooden blocks that I set my landing gear on, 7 1/2" H x 11" square. They help keep my landing gear legs short and help stabilize the trailer when parked. Additional height adjustment would be another benefit.