cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch vs. Trailer weight

ChuckandSue
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any problem using a 25K hitch with a 12k trailer? I plan to upgrade to a larger trailer when I retire in a few years and would rather buy my last hitch first. We want a smaller unit in the interim.
Chuck and Sue, living the full-timing dream, but in an interim travel trailer, 2013 Starcraft AR-ONE 21WB
Tow vehicle - 2015 Ford F450
Full-timer 5th wheel - to be ordered in 2015 or 2016
Fulltime begins summer of 2017
6 REPLIES 6

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I don't think you will notice any difference. The hitch is rigid and mounted rigid to the truck. And it holds the trailer firmly attached to the hitch. So it does not matter whether it is 25k or 18k. If there was some kind of heavier suspension built in the hitch, maybe so. But again it is all rigid attachment.

My Reese Elite 18k hitch looks basically identical to the Reese Elite 25k. I can't see how one would ride different than the other.

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
I find with a heavier rated hitch stability is greatly increased.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ChuckandSue wrote:
Is there any problem using a 25K hitch with a 12k trailer? I plan to upgrade to a larger trailer when I retire in a few years and would rather buy my last hitch first. We want a smaller unit in the interim.

What a concept, too bad more don't think like you!

Great idea
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Your ride quality will be very harsh, and if you can live with that in the short term, for a long term plan...go for it.

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
A waste of money. Unless, you are going to buy the HDT to accommodate a 25K trailer? Even at that it is a waste of money, while you wait to get into the bigger trailer. Why wait for the bigger trailer. Go get what you want now. Buy your last trailer first. Technically/functionally no problem. with the 25K hitch...if you can get all the mount rails to fit your truck.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
No problem with that
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider