cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitching and unhitching a 5th wheel

swburbguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a newbie camper 3yrs. I'm thinking of getting a 5th wheel. I have a dumb question to ask. Can 5th wheels be hitched and unhitched from the side?
31 REPLIES 31

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be concerned about popping the tires off the rims, depending on terrain.

Or might break the bead and lose pressure, at the least.

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
Be very careful you don't poke a hole with the corner of your tailgate. You might consider removing it.
2010 Airstream 27FB Classic Limited
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
JohnnyT wrote:
I think he is asking if the Tow Vehicle has to be in line with the trailer to hitch and unhitch. I have only ever had goosenecks and the answer with a gooseneck is no.

JohnnyT

Im not sure what you are thinking here but I back the goose neck in the shop all the time and the pickup is at least on a 60 degree angle from the trailer. as long as the hitch is over the ball you can back in at any angle. Granted it is easier to back straight on it is possible. Our 5th wheel has the concave corners and you are able to get 80 degree turns the small campsites here are tight to back into so the truck is always 45 degrees or so when unhooking and hooking up.
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Some hitches work better than others, when hooking up/ unhooking at an angle. It is more noticeable when the truck is uneven with the trailer.

Jerry

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes you can hook up on an angle. Do you have room for the rear of the trailer to swing in and out of the parking spot as you park or leave at an angle?

swburbguy
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry guys I should have been more clear. With the length of my drive by my unattached garage I would have to park my 5th wheel at an angle. It wouldn't be at a full 90 degree maybe 20 30 degree to trailer.

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps you are talking about a Pullrite Superglide hitch? If so, the manual says the hookup and release angle must be no more than 16 degrees.

I've heard of people, in an emergency, pulling the pins on the hitch and driving out from under the kingpin, then removing the hitch (not leaving it dangling from the kingpin). As you can guess hooking back up would be a whole different kettle of fish, depending on the situation.
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
--
We've visited them all (but not always with the RV)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know what he means until he clears it up...or maybe the angels will.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
hermandutchman wrote:
If you mean at a 90 degree angel, then yes you can. The big problem is that when you pull away you will put extreme twist on the tires which could damage them, also could damage frame.

If damage happens in that situation then the tires and frame were not worth having. JMHO
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
hermandutchman wrote:
If you mean at a 90 degree angel, then yes you can. The big problem is that when you pull away you will put extreme twist on the tires which could damage them, also could damage frame.

WHY, WHY do so many think the suspension under your 5er is made of glass and will be damaged the first time you look at it side ways! Not something I want to do every day, but will not damage the frame or suspension, not the best for tread life as it will create a lot of tread scrub. The biggest issues would be the strain on the Landing gear, this is the one case where I would have the pin box and the hitch very close to the same level.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Explorer II
Explorer II
My SuperGlide would not allow this. I have to be within 20 degrees or so.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think he is asking if the Tow Vehicle has to be in line with the trailer to hitch and unhitch. I have only ever had goosenecks and the answer with a gooseneck is no.

JohnnyT
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you mean connecting 5vr to hitch in truck bed---sideways?

YES (with caution)...you must back into 5vr king pin with it aligned up with hitch provided you have enough truck cab to 5vr front cab clearance, not only when hitching but when you straighten out

IF you mean operating the hitch?

YES...the latch handle is right next to drivers side of truck bed.
After hitching then you secure handle with clasp/pin and do a visual check that jaws are closed around king pin

otherwise.....och!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

hermandutchman
Explorer
Explorer

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
Makes sense to me.....I think he's asking if a truck can back under & hitch up 5th wheel at an angle other than straight back inline with the trailer.......truck somewhere between 0 and 90 degrees to the trailer.....
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...