cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitching and unhitching a 5th wheel

swburbguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a newbie camper 3yrs. I'm thinking of getting a 5th wheel. I have a dumb question to ask. Can 5th wheels be hitched and unhitched from the side?
31 REPLIES 31

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming the pinbox and hitch are capable (most are) of hitching at the angle you want, the only concern is the landing gear being bent from side to side - line the pin up VERY well, have the pinbox height within ~1/4 inch of the hitch, and don't hit it to hard. I would have the pinbox a little high, until the hitch is under it, then raise the landing gear until it makes contact - at an angle tire chocks don't hold the trailer as well when hitching. As far as the frame/springs/rims/tires you will have more stress in a single u-turn then 20 sideways hookups.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer
My last 5ver the front of the trailer was very close to the rear of the truck and when hooking up the truck needed to be almost straight on. At the time I looked for a folding tailgate as I didn't want a "v" style, I didn't find any for sale but I did come across a device ($20) for holding the tailgate part open allowing the Kingpin to pass over yet gave clearance to the trailer.

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
nazpaz wrote:
Perhaps you are talking about a Pullrite Superglide hitch? If so, the manual says the hookup and release angle must be no more than 16 degrees.

I've heard of people, in an emergency, pulling the pins on the hitch and driving out from under the kingpin, then removing the hitch (not leaving it dangling from the kingpin). As you can guess hooking back up would be a whole different kettle of fish, depending on the situation.

"I've heard of people........"

YES the PR SG release angle is - *16* degrees.

However, you're heard -or been told- "old wives tales" as pertains to a SuperGlide..:S

To increase the angle, the PR SG angel will be on your shoulder, LOL!

Two pins will pull the *HEAD* (as "Vulcaneer" indicates).

The *HEAD* weighs about 35 lbs.

The hitch always remains in the bed of the pickup..:W

~

Thanks for setting me straight.

However - I described the Superglide maximum angle from the manual in the first paragraph just in case the OP had that hitch.

Then, in the next paragraph, I moved on to describing what I've heard that people do with 5th wheel hitches in general, which includes pulling the pins and driving out from under the camper. I *didn't* say I was specifically talking about the Superglide in that situation and I think I'm correct that some people do just that.

Obviously, if a person using a conventional hitch backs into a spot that is so angled or steep that they can't get the jaws to release and just pulls the pins on the hitch, hooking back up might be rather difficult.
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
--
We've visited them all (but not always with the RV)

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
nazpaz wrote:
Perhaps you are talking about a Pullrite Superglide hitch? If so, the manual says the hookup and release angle must be no more than 16 degrees.

I've heard of people, in an emergency, pulling the pins on the hitch and driving out from under the kingpin, then removing the hitch (not leaving it dangling from the kingpin). As you can guess hooking back up would be a whole different kettle of fish, depending on the situation.

"I've heard of people........"

YES the PR SG release angle is - *16* degrees.

However, you're heard -or been told- "old wives tales" as pertains to a SuperGlide..:S

To increase the angle, the PR SG angel will be on your shoulder, LOL!

Two pins will pull the *HEAD* (as "Vulcaneer" indicates).

The *HEAD* weighs about 35 lbs.

The hitch always remains in the bed of the pickup..:W

~

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
northmeck0255 wrote:
Be very careful you don't poke a hole with the corner of your tailgate. You might consider removing it.

I was thinking the same thing. If I tried to hitch up to my fiver at an angle with the tailgate down (of course, it has to be down) I'd poke through the door at the front storage area.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
snipped... a previous poster wrote:
Em.... Actually, as others have alluded to, it depends. With my current Pullrite, no, I can't.

I have done this several times with my PullRight SuperGlide. You unpin the hitch head and lift it out of the stantion/yoke, with the elevator legs. This hitch unhitches this way so much better than any other hitch. Because when you do it this way, you do not put any lateral (side) force on the landing gear legs. When you do try to hitch at a sharp angle with a conventional hitch, it does put side pressure of the landing gear legs. They cannot well withstand that type of load. Because in that direction there is nothing to hold the pin from moving. And the legs are unsupported.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
AT about 45 degree angle I would have problems with putting my tailgate down and clearing the 5th wheel. i would have to unhook and move forward a foot or so before the tailgate would go all the way down.
2017 Discovery XLE 40 D DP
Sold Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Diesel 3722 CC
5er 13,600 - 3100 pin - Truck Weight 11380 Truck GVWR 11,500
Only 180 lbs below my trucks MAX GVWR

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Since i do not run one of those notched tail gates, my limitation would be the tail gate hitting the front of the fiver. Mine will make contact but I do not know at exactly how many degrees.

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
The largest concern I would have is pushing the landing gear sideways, high hooking or the trailer sliding back if the pin is too low (lifting camper while coupling). The pin would need to be almost exactly the same height as the jaws. Normally when you push back the wheel chocks take that load, side coupling the landing gear will take that load or worse lift and the trailer slide off the 5th wheel. Would not do it often and I'd make sure everything was just perfect. Once coupled I'd eyeball the jaws, pull it out and give it a good tug to make sure it was properly coupled.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
swburbguy wrote:
Sorry guys I should have been more clear. With the length of my drive by my unattached garage I would have to park my 5th wheel at an angle. It wouldn't be at a full 90 degree maybe 20 30 degree to trailer.

Yep. With my long bed and B&W hitch, we have hitched up at all sorts of angles. I never have to think of my approach when hitching or unhitching. It's really convenient when I need to start with a significant pull to that side right from the git go.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
if you pull away at that angle, don't you stand a bigger chance of dropping the 5'er on to the bed of the truck if the lock doesn't catch properly? . can you leave the landing gear down like you would with a hook up front to back arrangement?

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
calamus wrote:
JohnnyT wrote:
I think he is asking if the Tow Vehicle has to be in line with the trailer to hitch and unhitch. I have only ever had goosenecks and the answer with a gooseneck is no.

JohnnyT

Im not sure what you are thinking here but I back the goose neck in the shop all the time and the pickup is at least on a 60 degree angle from the trailer. as long as the hitch is over the ball you can back in at any angle. Granted it is easier to back straight on it is possible. Our 5th wheel has the concave corners and you are able to get 80 degree turns the small campsites here are tight to back into so the truck is always 45 degrees or so when unhooking and hooking up.

Not sure why not with a gooseneck? My equipment trailer I one time needed to really jackknife it so unhooked and backed my truck under at approx 110 degrees so driving forward actually made the trailer go backwards. Can't do that with my 5th wheel camper converted to gooseneck as it hits the cab at approx 75 degrees. If I had an 8 ft bed it would be possible to hitch at 90 degrees.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

DrBaker
Explorer
Explorer
swburbguy wrote:
Sorry guys I should have been more clear. With the length of my drive by my unattached garage I would have to park my 5th wheel at an angle. It wouldn't be at a full 90 degree maybe 20 30 degree to trailer.

Works just fine with my basic Reese hitch.
2011 Chevy 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 Victory Red
2003 Crossroads Cruiser CF27RL
Champion Screamer, Reese 16k, and a Blue Status Symbol

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Em.... Actually, as others have alluded to, it depends. With my current Pullrite, no, I can't.

With the old RBW I had, yes I could, and I did more then once. The side pressure on the tires of the rig is no higher then when you are jack-knifing and turning around.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.