cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Holes in battery compartment of Fiver

luggage
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 2002 Mountaineer by Montana (Keystone). I have noticed that in the forward compartments i.e. Propane compartments and in the front compartment under the nose (where battery is stored), there are holes in the floor of the unit. These holes are not wear and tear holes but appear to be precut round holes around pipes and other areas. I wondered if they were for venting of battery even though it has its own vent and for the propane tanks. What I would like to do is plug the holes to prevent critters from inviting themselves in during the winter. Anyone have similar holes in their forward basement compartments? Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
Sorry, cross venting is NOT required in a battery box. Years spent doing safety inspections on heavy equipment speaking here.

Because hydrogen is lighter than air, a top vent is required for confined space installations. the vent must open to "an external surface". Most RV battery boxes (that I have ever seen) are made of an acid resistant ABS material, closed on the bottom and vented on the top, with a flexible hose attached to the top vent and running UP to a vent in the front or side wall of the basement. The explosive hydrogen floats up and out. It doesn't need circulation of outside air.

It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to have a bottom vent, but it is not required.
Not correct and not sure what heavy equipment has to do with RVs or the RVIA. It does no good to have a top vent without a bottom vent as the air remains stagnant. Natural draft ventilation requires air movement and air movement requires a high and a low vent for natural draft. It even applies to UPS rooms, a vent at the roof, and equal size vent at the floor. Boats do not require the bottom vent for obvious reasons, but they are vented at the rim of the lid to atmosphere and require a forced draft arrangement in the engine compartment while underway at speed supplemented by a mechanical ventilation means (fan) while stationary.

An RV battery box located near the electrical gear in an enclosed cabinet has a vent at the top that goes to the exterior via flexible hose, and vent at the bottom remote from the one at the top (opposite end). If the batteries are located in their own compartment open to the ground below, they don't require anything, or they are in a box with ventilated lid to atmosphere to contain any spills. I can't say when it started, why, or whether it is required by RVIA, nor do I care. I'm just explaining to the RP why he has neatly cut 1-1/2" holes in the bottom of his battery cabinet from the factory. The battery lower vent neck fits through those holes.

Lets just say it is stupid not to vent in the bottom:

Battery venting
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, cross venting is NOT required in a battery box. Years spent doing safety inspections on heavy equipment speaking here.

Because hydrogen is lighter than air, a top vent is required for confined space installations. the vent must open to "an external surface". Most RV battery boxes (that I have ever seen) are made of an acid resistant ABS material, closed on the bottom and vented on the top, with a flexible hose attached to the top vent and running UP to a vent in the front or side wall of the basement. The explosive hydrogen floats up and out. It doesn't need circulation of outside air.

It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to have a bottom vent, but it is not required.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
luggage wrote:
I recently purchased a 2002 Mountaineer by Montana (Keystone). I have noticed that in the forward compartments i.e. Propane compartments and in the front compartment under the nose (where battery is stored), there are holes in the floor of the unit. These holes are not wear and tear holes but appear to be precut round holes around pipes and other areas. I wondered if they were for venting of battery even though it has its own vent and for the propane tanks. What I would like to do is plug the holes to prevent critters from inviting themselves in during the winter. Anyone have similar holes in their forward basement compartments? Thanks.

I thought that they were air venting and exhaust for those units had the optional generator
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
I went to a 120AH AGM and got rid of the vents.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Mile High wrote:
Battery box is required to have a top and bottom vent. Airflow requires 2. If you can see the hole, the original battery box is missing. The original box has a vent out the bottom that fits through the hole, and a vent out the top that ties to a flexhose out the front. The battery box is totally enclosed and isolates the battery from the open arcing electric in the front compartment.

Mile High, is that requirement actually mandated? If so, when was it done? I have no real venting in my battery compartment.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Battery box is required to have a top and bottom vent. Airflow requires 2. If you can see the hole, the original battery box is missing. The original box has a vent out the bottom that fits through the hole, and a vent out the top that ties to a flexhose out the front. The battery box is totally enclosed and isolates the battery from the open arcing electric in the front compartment.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

oh_boy
Explorer
Explorer
Top up your battery and fully charge it for a few days to be sure it is fully charged. Most lead acid batteries will survive a winter w/o freezing if charged.
If they are 12V they are easy to lift out and take home for storage, 6V can be very heavy. Once charged disconnect the + and - cables so there is no drain on them at all. Even a propane sniffer will drain a battery fast.
Ian/Mary/Rusty
wire fox terror
03 Dodge Ram 3500,4x4,QC,
Line X,Hijacker 16K slider,
09 Titanium 32E37RSA

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
luggage wrote:
thanks for the input. I suspected some of the things mentioned. Since I should not seal the battery compartment, does extreme cold weather have an impact on the battery?

YES.... unless you keep it with water on plates,and Correct trickle charge,it will kill it.
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

luggage
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the input. I suspected some of the things mentioned. Since I should not seal the battery compartment, does extreme cold weather have an impact on the battery?

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Propane is heavier than air. It sinks. That is why the bottom of the tank bay is open.

Hydrogen is lighter than air. It rises. That is why there must be a vent in the battery compartment near the ceiling. A vented battery box with a direct hose from the top of the box to the exterior of the compartment is better.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on using screens. My whole area under the batteries is open to the bottom of the trailer. This is there to drain off boiling out battery fluids. I always have vents to the outside above the batteries and the propane tanks from these separate compartments.

I am not necessarily comfortable with the propane tanks and the batteries both in their own compartments under our 5th wheel beds above them but this is beast we have to live with I guess...

This same deal follows us to our OFF-ROAD POPUP as well... When we pull out the tent bed we normally sleep in it is situated above the batteries and propane tanks mounted on the trailer tongue... We like this tent bed the best since we have a deck underneath it which keeps our four legged friends from spending the night with us hehe...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

caberto
Explorer
Explorer
Put tough screen mesh to cover them. We got rats last year in there and man it was a drawn out and expensive cluster to deal with and fix. Make sure it's tough/thick with no more than like 1/4" openings... those little sob's can chew through almost anything.
2010 Keystone Cougar 324RLB
2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison 4x4 Crew Cab S/B
www.imagesbyberto.com

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Holes in propane compartment are for venting propane. Mess with them at your own risk.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Put some screen over them if necessary, but don't totally enclose the area. Some venting is necessary to prevent buildup of fumes.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"