cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honda generator battery

randy777
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Honda 3000 generator that has an electric start. The battery has been dead for about three years. No problem as it starts with one pull. My question is this. Can I take the battery out and cover the connectors with a rubber boot wrapped with electricical tape. I might need the electric start in a few years but for now the battery is just extra weight. Would it hurt anything to run it without the battery. I know most newer cars cannot be run with the battery removed. Thanks for your help.

Randy
3 REPLIES 3

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can. I did the same then forked 100 bucks for a replacement battery( Canadian eh!) I bought my honda 3000 used and battery and genny sitting 4 years. Got a great deal.
Hence, didn't mind the new battery.
Now I have this battery on wired hookups to use my battery tender so I don't have to remove front plate for charging.
Thought about getting the remote starter but alas ................ I have two of them aged 10 and 8!!!!!

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
I would ask a dealer to be certain, but a friend used theirs for years using the pull start only. He didn't even know it had a battery until he took it in to be serviced and they hooked it up for him. If he had paid for the remote start he might have known. Oddly enough, the original battery was still in good condition.
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
i would say yes you can because basically you have been doing that since the battery has been dead for 3 years the battery on a gen is only used to start it nothing more so as long as you have the pull rope you should be good to go
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map