cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honda genny won't fit

Hardcandy
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Honda 3000is I've read about you guys putting them in the bed of you trucks, my problem is I have a hard Tri fold tonneau cover and the Honda is to tall to fit under the cover. My plan was to leave the genny in the truck all the time under the cover. So I'm open to any helpful ideas I'm sure I'm not the first to run into this please help.if I have to put it in the basement of my 5er it will have to be a permanent deal because I'm not able to put in in and out so I'm open to ideas on that as well. And yes it does fit in the basement. Thanks for your input.
TV: 2004.5 Chevy Silverado CCLB 6.6L 3500 DRW, K&N, EFI Live 60hp economy/tow tune, 4" magnaflow exhaust, B&W gooseneck W/ B&W Companion
S&W M&P 40cal in the door pocket...
2012 28.5' Jayco Eagle RLS w/super slide
Ruger 45cal on the nightstand
16 REPLIES 16

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
We've two older Yamaha 2300is's that can be ganged together and fit either in the truck bed or basement (I can still lift them OK), but you might look into loosing the bed cover and go with something like our Softopper. http://www.softopper.com/?gclid=CIjyjqLIsr0CFYyhOgodz34Alw It folds up to the front for towing and back to cover everything in the bed like a cap when not. Takes only a few minutes to either do that or take the whole thing off. About $800 and well worth it.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
I removed old bumper and fabbed up heavy bumper for this
I use heavy locking cable

Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Downside to having a pair of 2000's is less run-time, no electric start and no remote start. Personally, I would put a rear cargo rack on my FW and build/buy a "genbox" enclosure. Just my $0.02...

Lyle

I did exactly what Lyle suggested. My nephew fabricated a metal "carrier", (that's what I call it) a box if you will. I designed it to fit our Honda EU3000I. Works perfectly, I keep the generator in the trailer when not using it. I discovered leaving it out exposed the generator to more road dirt than I wanted. It's lockable and secure, the whole thing with the Honda in it weighs about 140 pounds. We have it for when we may need it and I can use the gen around the house if needed. PM me if you want suggestions/plans.

Dan

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Hardcandy wrote:
I just bought a Honda 3000is I've read about you guys putting them in the bed of you trucks, my problem is I have a hard Tri fold tonneau cover and the Honda is to tall to fit under the cover. My plan was to leave the genny in the truck all the time under the cover. So I'm open to any helpful ideas I'm sure I'm not the first to run into this please help.if I have to put it in the basement of my 5er it will have to be a permanent deal because I'm not able to put in in and out so I'm open to ideas on that as well. And yes it does fit in the basement. Thanks for your input.

Three options:

1. In the basement with some type of pull-out.

2. Different gen(s) - my Yam 2400is fits nicely under my Fold-A-Cover, which is a 4 section.
Two Honda (or similar) 2000 inverter gens. (sell your 3000).

3. Keep the Honda. Remove your cover.
Build a "box" (wood or aluminum) to cover (go over) the gen.
Figure out a locking device -or method- to keep the box in place, and the gen out-of sight, out-of mind.

Although my gen fits under the cover, I have done #3 above.
Sounds complicated, but really it's pretty simple.

The gen is always secured with a cable & lock to the truck bed.
A flat bar slides through the top of the box, *under* the handles of the gen underneath.
One side of bar is bent, other has a hole for padlock.

If someone tries to lift the box, they are *attempting* to also lift the gen underneath.
I remove box to run gen, which stays locked in place when in use.

~

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Downside to having a pair of 2000's is less run-time, no electric start and no remote start. Personally, I would put a rear cargo rack on my FW and build/buy a "genbox" enclosure. Just my $0.02...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the dealer will take it back and you can buy 2 2000i's and a joining kit. thats what I had to do. I wish the 3000 would have fit but you know the story. but the beauty of the 2000 is you can easily move them

Gunship_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
I had an older Honda 3000 that I wanted to keep. Wouldn't fit under the BakFlip cover I put on the new truck. Sold the 3000 in 1 day on Craigslist and replaced it with a pair of Honda 2000s.

I like the new pair better. Easier to move around and store.
2017 Weekend Warrior (by The RV Factory)
2013 Ram 3500 Longhorn LB DRW 4x4 Aisin 4.10

Previous:

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 41'
2006 DRV Mobile Suites 38'
Volvo 770

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Measure twice cut once I was always told. Apparently you didn't get the memo :W

I'm sure parts of Texas will allow just about anything.

Fort Hood certainly did a few years( well a few decades ago.) Oh I miss those big bug's in my Texas BBQ :B
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
I keep mine in the truck bed with my tonneau cover halfway and lock the generator with bike chain. I've never had a problem.

+1

My Yamaha sticks up enough that a cover like yours won't work either. Mine is in the truck full time. I use a Truxedo Truxport cover with heavy chains. Nice, is even with the 5th still attached, I can close the cover halfway to cover at night. Out of sight.

I think this is your most economical alternative.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I have a ARE fiberglass one piece cover and the 3000fits under that as the ARE sits above the rails about 3 inches.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The EU3000i is Dimensions: 25.8" L x 18.9" W x 22.4" H

The EU2000i is Dimensions: 20.1" L x 11.4" W x 16.7" H

I guess that 5.7 inches is the killer. I have seen several 5'ers using a EU2000i on each side of the 5th hitch at the tail gate area.

My EU2000i is secured in the Tailgate corner of my 2010 F1500 Truck and has plenty of clearance. Never measured what the height of the high bed sides of the F150 are.

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
It won't work, can't be done.... I'll give you $100 to help you out and take it off your hands.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps a tool box on the bumper with the genny inside or have a box fabbed up.
Good Luck, Mike
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

notruffinit
Explorer
Explorer
I put mine on a slide shelf that allows me to simply slide the Honda out of the front compartment. It is attached, but when it is running it is sitting outside the basement. Works for me.
'11 Ram 3500 Cummins
'12 Cameo 34SB3