How not to tow your 5th wheel.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
35 REPLIES 35

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Back in 1990 I took our 28ft Jayco down "The Dragon", not knowing what I was in for. I would never try it again, especially with the 40ft now. We got lucky.

318 curves in 11 miles, I believe is the motto.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
Sad the man did not know how to drive. I have been on roads with spots like that. 260" Wheelbase tractor and 52 ft trailer. And still make the curve. Now I did have to wait until traffic had cleared for me to get in the wrong lane to make the turn. And this was the only way to get into the place that was getting 6 skids of bar and chain oil.
Pete
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Atom Ant wrote:
Bowti wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:
Atom Ant wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
As Bugs Bunny used to say....What a maroon!
Before you start throwing stones, you should learn to spell Moron :S

Maroon
A term of derision often uttered by Bugs Bunny when referring to an interaction with a dopey adversary. It is a mispronunciation of the word "Moron"
"What a Maroon!" "Will ya get a load of this maroon"

I'm thinking he put you in your place! How does it FEEL to be corrected?
Guess I should have spent more time watching Bugs Bunny (which I hated).

May you drop your wheels in the ditch someday ๐Ÿ™‚ Then you can feel what it's like to be called a Moron/Moroon when having one of the worst days of your life.

Well just a little good judgement would have prevented this situation.

As I stated before and others have stated also, the failure to use REVERSE to back away form the issue has been totally ignored.

With a 5er or any travel trailer about half the length is behind the wheels. As long a there isn't a hill (up) there you can carefully back to the edge of the road to turn around.

I sorry for the guys troubles, no way should he have forced his way through the tunnels.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Atom Ant wrote:
Bowti wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:
Atom Ant wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
As Bugs Bunny used to say....What a maroon!
Before you start throwing stones, you should learn to spell Moron :S

Maroon
A term of derision often uttered by Bugs Bunny when referring to an interaction with a dopey adversary. It is a mispronunciation of the word "Moron"
"What a Maroon!" "Will ya get a load of this maroon"

I'm thinking he put you in your place! How does it FEEL to be corrected?
Guess I should have spent more time watching Bugs Bunny (which I hated).

May you drop your wheels in the ditch someday ๐Ÿ™‚ Then you can feel what it's like to be called a Moron/Moroon when having one of the worst days of your life.

Best wishes from a Red *Ant* hill..:R..:R

~

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's one lucky guy! Pretty sure the frame on the trailer is fine, but that truck may need some minor adjustments. :S

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
stro1965 wrote:
drfife wrote:
Was the video shot in Custer State Park, SD?

Looked like Needles Highway maybe?

Yep
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
News for you. Because he was towing with a Chevy he totally forgot it was there. He probably had a Dodge before that truck.

Lostsoul
Explorer
Explorer
There are lots of roads like that west of I-5 in central California, sans the tunnel. This video gives credence to: know your vehicle and get in the mindset of being big before you turn the key. You ain't in the BMW anymore, Toto. You must consider your size whether getting gas or trekking down an unfamiliar road. Many of these roads can be safely navigated if you remember to use all the room you have. Wait for oncoming traffic and use both lanes where necessary.

Because of the axle location, a 40' fifth wheel pulls like a 25' semi trailer. You DO have to consider tail swing but properly maneuvered, you can take these through some really tight spaces.

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
drfife wrote:

Looked like Needles Highway maybe?
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I drove that road back in '78 with my Dodge Maxi-van and no way would I do it with a trailer in tow.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the video. It looks just like a road my DW would have me take :W
I've learned to scout her routes in the Mountain Directory.
Boy you talk about tweaking a Lipert frame or axle. Pretty sure that winch did some serious damage.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

bstark
Explorer
Explorer
KATOOM wrote:
What a sad deal. I feel for those people no matter how it happened. If they "truly" ignored any warning road signs and took their trailer where it shouldn't have gone then shame on them for that decision but really..........besides the A/C unit being torn off in the tunnel, ALL the other damage was a result of the few helpful clowns who think they know everything about getting a vehicle unstuck because they have a winch but actually know nothing. That poor trailer could have suffered far less carnage if they didn't try to pull the whole trailer sideways while the driver moved.....and then go and allow him to crank the wheel shoving the whole thing into the guardrail. :h

Similar feelings from me.

While not wishing to beat to death the reasons they were on that road I would like to address the issue of allowing momentary stress force you into making bad decisions which in this case was to go through that first tunnel rather than force compliance by following traffic to simply allow you to reverse to a location where you could safely park the rig on the shoulder where bum swing would not be an issue.

If you have one, use an on board compressor to inflate trailer tires to 10 or 15lbs above max, set up cones or a traffic director to allow you to unhook, stop traffic in both directions, position the truck at right angles to the trailer and gently re-hook to perform a very tight, slow, tire scrubbing jackknifed U-turn to then go back the way you came and park to let your blood pressure resume norms and reduce your tire pressures back to where they belong.

Those who think they've seen semi-drivers perform amazing feats unparalled by RV towers need to rethink that a bit as having performed both I can assure you, having your towed vehicle axles under the center of the length of your trailer in no way makes it a easy feat to keep your 'bum swing-out' in mind while negotiating tight areas.

Any semi driver who is honest, will readily tell you having those trailer axles at the very rear of the rig and ONLY having to consider where they're going, rather than where that, possibly up to 20', rear overhang is going, simplifies your life in no small measure.

These poor folks allowed the stress of the moment to reduce their ability to make rational decision making and then it accelerated away from them from there on.
Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
What a sad deal. I feel for those people no matter how it happened. If they "truly" ignored any warning road signs and took their trailer where it shouldn't have gone then shame on them for that decision but really..........besides the A/C unit being torn off in the tunnel, ALL the other damage was a result of the few helpful clowns who think they know everything about getting a vehicle unstuck because they have a winch but actually know nothing. That poor trailer could have suffered far less carnage if they didn't try to pull the whole trailer sideways while the driver moved.....and then go and allow him to crank the wheel shoving the whole thing into the guardrail. :h