cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to learn about enclosed car haulers

Louisa
Explorer
Explorer
We have to consider the possibility of towing an enclosed trailer that would carry a Yukon-sized SUV behind our Newmar motor coach. The coach has 10,000 lb towing capacity, but I know nothing about what to look for in such a trailer. Is there a website or tutorial somewhere that might serve as a primer?
10 REPLIES 10

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Well Cargo Auto Trailers
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You would be fine getting a similar trailer as the one I have. It is a Haulmark 20 footer with a 2'v-nose. I haul my GMC Safari and side by side RZR in it, so a Yukon should be no problem.

Empty trailer weight is 3300 lbs, so that should be okay for your 6000 lb Yukon.

I would suggest getting one with a side door that is placed at the same point as the drivers door on the Yukon. Haulmark will place an extra side door anywhere that you want it for not much additional cost.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a used Stealth 24' enclosed car hauler. It was only 5 years old and in excellent condition. But I only use it for my "garage" at our home base and I don't haul a large vehicle in it.

I would look at the different manufacturers web sites, Haulmark being one of the popular ones, and see what you will need. Don't forget about possible tire upgrades for the weight you will have in that trailer.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Haulmark car hauler. They have a web site that allows you to configure exactly what you want. We wanted a mid range car hauler since it sit's in Florida a lot. If we used it extensivly I would consider a high end trailer like a Featherlite or ATC.

We have a 45' MH and have towed the car hauler with it and a 45' Essex we had. We have towed it all around the country. The only state that I avoid is California. Not because of the car hauler, but they have too many restrictions on MH's over 40'.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
What you are looking for is two 5k axles brakes, wet hubs if you can fine a trailer with them. plus LED lighting, interior lights. your Yukon should fit in a 20' X 8.5' trailer with over sized tie down rings.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Much better to pull it 4 down.
No worry about length.
No worry about getting a long enough camp site.
Takes less turning radius.
Easy to load & unload
Better MPG not pulling all that trailer weight.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Louisa wrote:
We have to consider the possibility of towing an enclosed trailer that would carry a Yukon-sized SUV behind our Newmar motor coach. The coach has 10,000 lb towing capacity, but I know nothing about what to look for in such a trailer. Is there a website or tutorial somewhere that might serve as a primer?

Can your coach tow a fifth wheel trailer?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wow, weight of Yukon plus trailer will be way up there. why not just a flatbed transporter. could put lock boxes on it for stuff.
bumpy

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing you will need to know is your over-all length set by DOT is different for each state. Hope your trailer requirement doesn't exceed the maximum length. I think your NEWMAR Coach is listed at 44'-10"
MAXIMUM LENGTH LISTS

Be sure to check DOT requirements before buying something...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
I would start by looking at Featherlite trailers since you will be starting out at close to 6k lbs. for just the Yukon.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure