cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hurrican Florence

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
As of now I am in direct line of having this storm hit us. We live about 60-70 miles inland. Kinston, NC. Should I hook up my 5th wheel to my truck or just leave it unhooked?
2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
36 REPLIES 36

DogTrainer
Explorer
Explorer
Seriously, you want to chance it???
2007 Chevy 2500HD 6L Auto 4WD
2015 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Wife and 2 great kids, Son-Army 45th
Yellow Lab

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I am late to give advice, but you can haul or buy livestock. They are not worth your life, health and safety. Is the livestock insured?

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
zackyboy3rs wrote:
No trees around my house. Not a flood prone area since I am up on higher level than most. Flooding around here is caused by rivers about 1week after the storms. This is Kinston after Matthew.

https://youtu.be/VjXPVcS-2u0

Good luck and will be praying you and your animals stay safe.
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
Zack,

We are just a few miles as the crow flies from you. Ours is under the shelter which is away from trees. Since we don't have any neighbors close I am not concerned about flying debris. I have my fresh tank filled and probably will have to move into the fiver after it is all said and done due to power failures but like you we are staying in our home. If you can just put it opposite the wind on whichever side of you house you can which will help if you are concerned.
Stay safe my friend.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
miltvill wrote:
As a LEO I always have to work during and after the hurricane. So, I purchased some very strong yellow straps that truckers use and put 4 foot screw anchors in the ground. I ran the straps across the top of the TT and attached the straps to the anchors. When not in use I placed large PVC caps over the anchors and painted them orange. I also filled the water tank and pepped the TT for use. After the storm I used my open frame loud generator to run the house fridge and power the TT. I lived in my TT until the power was restored to the brick house. In my TT I had ac and tv ๐Ÿ™‚ TT has been through two hurricanes.

This is great advice on using the big ratchet straps, just don't over tighten them.:)

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Learjet wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
There is also no wind direction

There is always a forecasted direction and peak, I would use that and point it into the wind for the peak direction, if able...even just for preventing water intrusion.

Look at the satellite images of a hurricane. It is a huge low pressure system which rotates in a counter clockwise direction. As the storm passes you the wind shifts.

So you cannot set the trailer for one wind direction.

Ken

I guess you guys don't understand "peak" wind conditions. I know it will change...but the NWS makes a reasonable forecast for the worst of the wind...I'm not talking about the eye wall. I'm talking about the larger impact area

I'm sure all my weather courses and 33 years as a professional aviator has taught me nothing about weather. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Also, I lived in Louisiana my whole life....I been through several hurricanes, flown over and around them many times.

Since you guys want to parse every statement ...I'm though trying to give you some reasonable ideas.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
If this monster keeps tracking right at Wilmington I say Run Forest Run.
Puma 30RKSS

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Learjet wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:

There is always a forecasted direction and peak, I would use that and point it into the wind for the peak direction, if able...even just for preventing water intrusion.

Look at the satellite images of a hurricane. It is a huge low pressure system which rotates in a counter clockwise direction. As the storm passes you the wind shifts.

So you cannot set the trailer for one wind direction.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

miltvill
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a LEO I always have to work during and after the hurricane. So, I purchased some very strong yellow straps that truckers use and put 4 foot screw anchors in the ground. I ran the straps across the top of the TT and attached the straps to the anchors. When not in use I placed large PVC caps over the anchors and painted them orange. I also filled the water tank and pepped the TT for use. After the storm I used my open frame loud generator to run the house fridge and power the TT. I lived in my TT until the power was restored to the brick house. In my TT I had ac and tv ๐Ÿ™‚ TT has been through two hurricanes.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:

Not to argue, but there hasn't been a meaningful wind direction in any of the 4 hurricanes and countless tropical storms (yawn) I've been through.
-- Chris Bryant

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
No trees around my house. Not a flood prone area since I am up on higher level than most. Flooding around here is caused by rivers about 1week after the storms. This is Kinston after Matthew.

https://youtu.be/VjXPVcS-2u0

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 5th wheel about 25 feet from my house. Thanks.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of notes, there is an enormous difference between having 50 mph winds regularly, and a hurricane. There is also no wind direction, the main force changes throughout the storm, and the majority of the damage is due to tornadoes that spin up in rain bands, though a cat 2 or above is like a several hundred mile wide tornado.
-- Chris Bryant