cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hydraulic landing gear drifting

mudmaker
Explorer
Explorer
I have our camper parked where the front is relatively high off the ground and the landing legs in front have been drifting slightly. Every so often you will hear a pop or thump and the camp wiggles a bit. Been lying here in bed for about 30 minutes now and haven't witnessed it yet (DW said it happened again) but I did experience it last night before bed. I lowered the gear myself some thinking I could have overextended the legs but it apparently didn't help.
Lippert landing gear.
Wondering if a relief got weakened and won't hold the pressure.
Thoughts?
TIA
Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, Kirsten and fur kids Dexter and Bernie
2017 KZ Venom 4114TK Toy Hauler
2015 GMC Acadia
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
18 REPLIES 18

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
TXiceman wrote:
BO, it is a known fact that Lippert is having issues with the cylinders sticking and making noise. One thing they have done is to put a viscosity modifier and lubricant in the hydraulic fluid to make them quieter.

But if the coach is settling any appreciable amount, the solenoid is leaking by. If the jack was leaking, it there should be hydraulic fluid on the jack.

Ken

Not necessarily. As I said before, the cylinder itself can leak internally, from the pressure side to the unpressurized side, right past the o-rings around the piston. Hell, the cylinder could be scored from trash left in it and it's leaking through the scoring. I've dealt with too many of these things in my years farming.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
BO, it is a known fact that Lippert is having issues with the cylinders sticking and making noise. One thing they have done is to put a viscosity modifier and lubricant in the hydraulic fluid to make them quieter.

But if the coach is settling any appreciable amount, the solenoid is leaking by. If the jack was leaking, it there should be hydraulic fluid on the jack.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

mudmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.
I haven't witnessed it again personally and that makes it hard to diagnose. (And how do you tell DW that she is just hearing things in her head?)
It is just the front jacks, not a level up system. One of the options this unit didn't come with. I'll have to look into it more when home. From what I've gathered it's not a show stopper problem so I'll just monitor the situation for now.
Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, Kirsten and fur kids Dexter and Bernie
2017 KZ Venom 4114TK Toy Hauler
2015 GMC Acadia
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not a solenoid valve. It's a problem with the ram itself. The Level up is different from the Bigfoot. The Lippert std. hydraulic front jacks will make the popping noise also. Lippert has changed a lot of parts and hasn't been able to completely cure this. Their best cure so far is to put some motorcycle fork oil into the system or one of several other types of oil. Contact Lippert, they know all about this.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Our two BiG Foot systems have not had this issue. It sounds like a solenoid valve in leaking back since you see no fluid loss.

The hydraulic fluid is basically an incompressible fluid and over the temperature ranges your RV will see, the amount of expansion or contraction will not be measurable.

How old is the RV? If is under warranty, insist that the dealer change the solenoid valves.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
avvidclif1 wrote:
allen8106 wrote:
golf_bears wrote:
OP, you list two problms in your post. One, the front landing cylinders are drifting. Two, a popping noise. Which is it or is it both? The correct solution is dependent on describing the problem correctly.

It's one and the same. The fluid is leaking off (drifting) which allows the coach to drop a bit which produces the popping sound.

Why re-invent the wheel? It's a Lippert Level-Up system. They do that, some of them anyway, mine hasn't yet. There is a service bulletin out about it. Follow it and post back the results.
Very common problem. More noticeable with temperature changes.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
golf_bears wrote:
OP, you list two problms in your post. One, the front landing cylinders are drifting. Two, a popping noise. Which is it or is it both? The correct solution is dependent on describing the problem correctly.

It's one and the same. The fluid is leaking off (drifting) which allows the coach to drop a bit which produces the popping sound.

Why re-invent the wheel? It's a Lippert Level-Up system. They do that, some of them anyway, mine hasn't yet. There is a service bulletin out about it. Follow it and post back the results.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Will take some searching to isolate the leak. Yes its internal unless you are seeing oil leaking to the outside.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
golf_bears wrote:

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
This is a common complaint with the Level-Up system and Lippert has a solution. The answer is to add some anti-stiction oil (aka fork oil or ?) to the reservoir. The complete description is here: Lip Sheet-0295

Here is part of the writeup describing the recommended oils:

If there is a popping noise in a Lippert Leveling system, Lippert has approved adding a quart of anti-stiction fluid. Approved fluids are listed by brand name and fluid characteristics below:
1. Torco RFF Grade 15 (Fig. 1)
2. Maxima Fork Oil Grade 15 (Fig. 2)
3. Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891 (Fig. 3)

I used 1 quart of the CAT fluid (not-cheap) and it solved the problem for me.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Not only the valves, but the cylinders can leak internally past the piston and o-rings.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Valves usually leak internally. Sometimes you can take then apart and install new "O" rings sometimes the valve body has a scratch and nothing short or replacing it will help.

jwakeman
Explorer
Explorer
It is FORK oil like used in motorcycles. It took 2 quarts to get mine to settle down.
Go to Lipitor web site for detail instructions.
2013 Silverado LT 2500HD 4X4 crew Cab Duramax Diesel/Alison
2016 Montana 3721