cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hydraulic slide question

aviator41
Explorer
Explorer
our current coach has all hydraulicly operated slides. we have one swtich and all the slides extend or retract. takes some time and is a bit of a pain. we would like to be able to add an electric valve mannifold so that we have a 4 switches, one for each slide.

So why do we want this? Well, there are times when we need to get into the fridge, but in order to do so, we have to have one of the large slides in the living area out, or partially out. of course, it's the slide that is always last to go out.

it would be nice to be able to actuate the slides for the bedrooms wuthout having ther entire living area out.

SO can this be accomplished, or would I have to change the entire system out to go what I'm wating to do? As it stands, it appears that the slides are all connected in a serial configuration
9 REPLIES 9

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
At each hydraulic cylinder port there is a T and the fluid goes into the slide that opens the easiest. Once out or until it binds some the next easiest moves....................
I would try pushing on the slides you do not want open (if you have enough people) and see if you can make the big one come out first.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

aviator41
Explorer
Explorer
Roger10378 wrote:
Is the manifold that they use modular? By that I mean can more sections be bolted on the end. If it is it would be easy to add sections for each slide. Then you can re plumb so each one operates a slide. A picture of the hydraulics would help.

This is a great question, I'll have to look at the manifold this evening. I'm thinking that this sort of project (re-plumbing the hydraulics) is going to be more trouble than it's worth.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the manifold that they use modular? By that I mean can more sections be bolted on the end. If it is it would be easy to add sections for each slide. Then you can re plumb so each one operates a slide. A picture of the hydraulics would help.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

aviator41
Explorer
Explorer
The slideout hydraulics are all daisy-chained together so the slide that gives the least amount of resistance is pushed out first, which is the front bedroom, then the small second bedroom goes out, then the kitchen with the stove, microwave and fridge goes out, then finally the dining area goes out. really, they go out in exactly the opposite order that I'd like.

This fifth wheel has the Lippert 6-point level-up system. The landing gear, stabilizers and slides all use the same hydraulic pump. There are 4 solenoids. 1 for the landing gear, one for the left stabilizers, one for the right stabilizers, one for the slides.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
If they are all hooked together the heavy one will move last. Maybe a shut off valve on that one would stop it from moving. Would need to know more about the system, how the cylinders are connected and relief valve pressure.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some have isolation valves at the manifold so you can shut off the slides you do not want to move. If not you might be able to add them. You can totally redo the hydraulics to do what you want but it is not cheap. You will need a new manifold with 12 volt solenoids. Then several hydraulic hoses and the switches and wiring to make it work. I had thought about doing this but decided it was not worth the cost for such limited benefit.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
x2...I understand exactly why you want to do this...but it is going to be a rebuild of the hydraulic system.

eHoefler wrote:
Look at the pump, see if there is a manifold with vavles on it. On ours, I can isolate which slides I want to move.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at the pump, see if there is a manifold with vavles on it. On ours, I can isolate which slides I want to move.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you will find that there is only one hose that daisy chains from slide to slide... a cheap way of doing it. You could take the big slide out of this loop and run two hoses to it assuming you can add another solenoid valve to the hydraulic power pack.
Another option would be to lock the other slides in some how so they cannot move forcing the big one to move.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...