cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I need your expertize...

Ajax106
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, this is my first post. And we just purchased our first camper/Toy Hauler this past Saturday. Brought it home with my 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500, and almost positive I need something bigger? The truck was really straining under the load!

We purchased a 2012 Dutchmen Rubicon. Here are the specs...

Length (ft/m) 24.67 / 7.5
Width (in/mm) 102 / 2590.8
Height (in/mm) 145 / 3683
Length (ft/ft) 24
Length (ft/in) 8
Dry Weight (lbs/kg) 5510 / 2499.3
Payload Capacity (lbs/kgs) 3490 / 1583.1
Hitch Weight (lbs/kgs) 861 / 390.5

Plus, we have two motorcycles that we want to bring along. Topped off they are a combined weight of 1460 lbs. I purchased the weight distribution system as well.

Looking at a 2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4. Here are the specs for it...

Engine, Vortec 6.0L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI (360 hp [268.4 kW] @ 5400 rpm, 380 lb-ft of torque [513.0 N-m] @ 4200 rpm) with (E63) fleetside pickup box; (322 hp [240.1 kW] @ 4400 rpm, 380 lb-ft of torque [513.0 N-m] @ 4200 rpm) with (ZW9) pickup box delete
Transmission, 6-speed automatic, heavy-duty, electronically controlled with overdrive and tow/haul mode (Requires (L96) Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI engine.)
Rear axle, 3.73 ratio

Can someone tell me if this truck is capable of towing this set up? The more I read, the more confused I become! Its all quite overwhelming to be honest!

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Chuck
20 REPLIES 20

thebudman
Explorer
Explorer
Clay1969 wrote:
My much older truck has no problems at all holding 70-80 mph hauling our 5000lbs trailer on the flats

Do me a favor and restrict your driving to the roads east of the Rockies.
08 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Cab 6 sp manual
08 WW FK 2100
08 Rhino, 99 Honda TRX 400

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
The 6.0 is not a good pulling truck? I don't think you know what your talking about. It is not a diesel, but it pulls very well, much better than I would have thought. You don't hear many people complain about the pulling power of the 6.0, gas mileage maybe, but seldom do you hear an actual owner complain of lack of towing capability. Lastly you never hear of someone complain about lack of longevity. Its a very durable motor. Overall its a very competent towing engine, especially in the the 2011 and newer chassis.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to differ that opinion. First hand I can say that for a gasser my 6.0 with 6sp and 4:10 axle handles my 12k fiver just fine. It is going to search for gears. Gas engines always need high rpm when hitting hills with heavy loads. The sweet spot in my truck on inclines is around 4000 rpm. That is where the peak torque is, unlike diesels.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
Clay1969 wrote:
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
Clay1969 wrote:
I have a similar set up (not a toy hauler, but similar lbs/truck) and from experience I can say that as long as you are not planning to break any land-speed records you will be fine. My much older truck has no problems at all holding 70-80 mph hauling our 5000lbs trailer on the flats at I can pull a modest 3 percent grade at 55mph @ 2500 rpm. Granted, I have a 5 speed and my old truck is not as advanced as the one you are looking at but the performance will be close or better. Some guys you will see will talk about their automatic 6.0's and complain about having to punch it out to 5000 rpm's to crest a hill but so far that is not my experience.

To piggy-back what Sprink said, you could opt for a diesel but you really need to factor the mpg savings over time into what the diesel will cost extra to make the best choice. For my 4-6 trips a year, getting 5mpg more in a diesel truck did not justify paying $15,000 more for the truck up front considering what little I haul, weight-wise. But hey, everyone's needs are different so you will not go wrong either way you decide to go.

Cheers!

I don't really care about gas mileage, I care about pulling and stopping power.
MM49

Pulling power and stopping power you will have with the 6.0, just not the acceleration. At work I drive a Dodge Sprinter that has a 2.7L turbo-diesel 5 cylinder engine. I honestly think the van could give my truck a run for the money in acceleration.
The Chevy 6.0L is really not a good pulling truck. The trans calibration allows it to shift all that time while pulling.
MM49

Ajax106
Explorer
Explorer
FireGuard wrote:
Are you set on the Chev?
If not, I would look at the Ram 2500 with 6.4 Hemi and 4:10, rated to tow over 15k lbs.
The 6.4 is getting some great reviews.

Thought about the Dodge for a minute. But the last one I had (Dakota R/T with the 5.9) I had all kinds of electrical issues with it. Very intermittent at that. And very frustrating. Kinda killed my enthusiasm for Dodge. ๐Ÿ˜ž

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you set on the Chev?
If not, I would look at the Ram 2500 with 6.4 Hemi and 4:10, rated to tow over 15k lbs.
The 6.4 is getting some great reviews.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Clay1969 wrote:
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
Clay1969 wrote:
I have a similar set up (not a toy hauler, but similar lbs/truck) and from experience I can say that as long as you are not planning to break any land-speed records you will be fine. My much older truck has no problems at all holding 70-80 mph hauling our 5000lbs trailer on the flats at I can pull a modest 3 percent grade at 55mph @ 2500 rpm. Granted, I have a 5 speed and my old truck is not as advanced as the one you are looking at but the performance will be close or better. Some guys you will see will talk about their automatic 6.0's and complain about having to punch it out to 5000 rpm's to crest a hill but so far that is not my experience.

To piggy-back what Sprink said, you could opt for a diesel but you really need to factor the mpg savings over time into what the diesel will cost extra to make the best choice. For my 4-6 trips a year, getting 5mpg more in a diesel truck did not justify paying $15,000 more for the truck up front considering what little I haul, weight-wise. But hey, everyone's needs are different so you will not go wrong either way you decide to go.

Cheers!

Pulling power and stopping power you will have with the 6.0, just not the acceleration. At work I drive a Dodge Sprinter that has a 2.7L turbo-diesel 5 cylinder engine. I honestly think the van could give my truck a run for the money in acceleration.

Stopping power is good, but the 6.0 down shift a lot, even on slight up hills.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Clay1969
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
Clay1969 wrote:

Cheers!

2007 Silverado Classic 2500HD 4x4 6.0 5spd manual
2014 Puma 25RS

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Clay1969 wrote:

Cheers!

2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the 4.10s on our 3/4 ton Chevy crewcab gasser and it does an adequate job pulling our TT TH around the Mountain West region. It's a dedicated tow vehicle and just sits in the garage until it's called to duty. The engine and tranny have synthetic oil and I have no problem running them in the 4-5K range as needed to achieve maximum power. Obviously a diesel is more ideal for toy hauler RVs but I couldn't convince my DW as she abhors them to no end. I agree that getting the more capable tranny gearing is the way to go.

Ajax106
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
OP asks wrote:

Engine, Vortec 6.0L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI (360 hp [268.4 kW] @ 5400 rpm, 380 lb-ft of torque [513.0 N-m] @ 4200 rpm) with (E63) fleetside pickup box; (322 hp [240.1 kW] @ 4400 rpm, 380 lb-ft of torque [513.0 N-m] @ 4200 rpm) with (ZW9) pickup box delete
Transmission, 6-speed automatic, heavy-duty, electronically controlled with overdrive and tow/haul mode (Requires (L96) Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI engine.)
Rear axle, 3.73 ratio

Can someone tell me if this truck is capable of towing this set up? The more I read, the more confused I become! Its all quite overwhelming to be honest!

Great match for your 9000 lb GVWR toy hauler. The 1500 5.3 is simply over matched with a 9000 lb GVWR trailer if it has the wrong gear selection and not set up properly.

Towing guide shows a '11 2500 chevy 6.0 3.73 can tow from 9300 lbs to 10200 lbs all depending on cab selections/4wd vs 2wd/etc.

Same truck with a 4.10 gears can tow up to 13k-14k lbs.

Both gear selections in the 2500 truck will have the same payload as both have the same RAWR/tire load ratings.

Thank you. This is the info I was looking for. This the one I'm looking at is an Ext cab.
Thanks to everyone else that has replied as well! Again, this is all new to us. I had told the dealer where we bought the TH that I wanted to be sure that my truck would pull this before buying it? Of course, he said I would have no problem? That's my fault for not doing enough research. But as I said, the more I read and research the more confused I become?

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry Clay, I thought you were referring to what he has now rather than what he was thinking of buying.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
OP asks wrote:

Rear axle, 3.73 ratio

Great match for your 9000 lb GVWR toy hauler. The 1500 5.3 is simply over matched with a 9000 lb GVWR trailer if it has the wrong gear selection and not set up properly.

Towing guide shows a '11 2500 chevy 6.0 3.73 can tow from 9300 lbs to 10200 lbs all depending on cab selections/4wd vs 2wd/etc.

Same truck with a 4.10 gears can tow up to 13k-14k lbs.

Both gear selections in the 2500 truck will have the same payload as both have the same RAWR/tire load ratings.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:

OP stated:
Brought it home with my 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500, and almost positive I need something bigger? The truck was really straining under the load!

Trailer wasn't even loaded....
Pretty much says it all

You said it. Don't wind up like this guy.