cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I got the green light.

Askibum02
Explorer
Explorer
I was talking to SWMBO today, and she actually said that she thinks getting an RV is a good idea. :E Now, it will be a little while before we actually get one, not this year for sure. So there is plenty of time to research, go to shows, and figure out what we want, but this is a major step for her. She didn't even balk when I told her I wanted a 5W. I do live near Fort Bragg, and they have TTs for rent, so we'll try that out a couple times this summer/fall to wet our appetite.
Brett
'17 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71
2001 Coleman tent :B
12 REPLIES 12

heaterswa
Explorer
Explorer
SWMBO

ROTFLMAO

I never heard that one until today. Amen.
Enjoy your camping together.
-Bryan
Me, Wife, 3 daughters, and a woof woof
TV: 06 GMC 2500HD D/A SLT 4WD / Prodigy / Reese Signature 18K
FW: 07 KZ Durango 315BH / Fifth Airborne / Sidewinder / JT Strong Arm Stabilizers

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Askibum02 wrote:
MAwolcott wrote:
Brett,
Welcome! I live in Sanford and work on Simmons. While doing your search, do yourself a favor and check out the RV Wholesaler in Ringgold, Va. Website is rv007.com. You will NOT find a better deal. It's only about a 2 hour drive from us; but you'll save thousands! I priced my 2017 Montana 3791RD at the Camping World's around us, went there and saved nearly $40,000. They have all types and models there, and it doesn't cost anything but the gas to get there and look around. Ask for Wayne if you happen to think of it.

Thanks!! I'll check them out.

I've bought two there myself.

Askibum02
Explorer
Explorer
MAwolcott wrote:
Brett,
Welcome! I live in Sanford and work on Simmons. While doing your search, do yourself a favor and check out the RV Wholesaler in Ringgold, Va. Website is rv007.com. You will NOT find a better deal. It's only about a 2 hour drive from us; but you'll save thousands! I priced my 2017 Montana 3791RD at the Camping World's around us, went there and saved nearly $40,000. They have all types and models there, and it doesn't cost anything but the gas to get there and look around. Ask for Wayne if you happen to think of it.

Thanks!! I'll check them out.
Brett

MAwolcott
Explorer
Explorer
Brett,
Mike & Amy
USN ADCS (AW) Retired
2016 F350 DRW FX4 Lariat.
2017 Montana 3791RD
2013 Cougar 28SGS (sold)
2008 Pilgrim 272PBH (sold)
2006 Summit TT (sold)
Pop-up (sold)

Askibum02
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
You'll have a great time when you do get the RV, Brett. As part of your homework I'm sure you'll figure it out, but take it from a few of us who learned the hard way: you are limited in the amount of fifth wheel you can handle with a 3/4 ton truck... ask me how I know. For the truck, fill 'er up, load the family, dog(s), and any gear you'll carry in the truck and head for the nearest CAT scales. Get separate weights for the front and rear axles. THEN, add the weight of the hitch you want to the rear axle weight from the scale. Subtract that number from the GVWRR (rear axle rating on the truck) and you have your max pin weight for the fifth wheel.

To estimate a working loaded pin weight for RVs you look at going to shows and dealerships, check the GVWR (NOT the dry or curb weight) for the trailer. Use about 23% of that for an estimated loaded pin weight. If it's over your remaining rear axle capacity on the truck, look at other RVs or move to a bigger truck. The bottom line is that the diesel engines in any of the big three's pickups will pull a house off its foundation... you just can't put the weight of the house on the rear axle. Better safe than sorry!

Rob

First of all, from one veteran to another, thank you for your service.:C

Thank you as well for your explanation of the weights. I bought the truck with out doing much research. I know I had seen plenty of 3/4 ton trucks with 5W so I thought I would be fine for whatever. A new truck isn't in the cards right now, so I'll just have to be reasonable with the RV. I can always upgrade the truck and RV down the road.

lawnspecialties wrote:

Second, the Raleigh RV show is at the fairgrounds February 24-26. That's the perfect place to begin your search and start learning.

That's good to know, thanks!

rickeoni wrote:
She Who Must Be Obeyed

Ding ding!:p
Brett

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
She Who Must Be Obeyed
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
First off, I have no idea what SWMBO stands for. I'm assuming his wife?

Second, the Raleigh RV show is at the fairgrounds February 24-26. That's the perfect place to begin your search and start learning.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll have a great time when you do get the RV, Brett. As part of your homework I'm sure you'll figure it out, but take it from a few of us who learned the hard way: you are limited in the amount of fifth wheel you can handle with a 3/4 ton truck... ask me how I know. For the truck, fill 'er up, load the family, dog(s), and any gear you'll carry in the truck and head for the nearest CAT scales. Get separate weights for the front and rear axles. THEN, add the weight of the hitch you want to the rear axle weight from the scale. Subtract that number from the GVWRR (rear axle rating on the truck) and you have your max pin weight for the fifth wheel.

To estimate a working loaded pin weight for RVs you look at going to shows and dealerships, check the GVWR (NOT the dry or curb weight) for the trailer. Use about 23% of that for an estimated loaded pin weight. If it's over your remaining rear axle capacity on the truck, look at other RVs or move to a bigger truck. The bottom line is that the diesel engines in any of the big three's pickups will pull a house off its foundation... you just can't put the weight of the house on the rear axle. Better safe than sorry!

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
When you do rent and give it all a try out....make sure it all goes smoothly and comfortably....don't start out by boondocking in the woods at the end of a snake and mosquito infested road with no creature comforts...
Doing so will help fire up SWMBO and get her on board.....:B
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
keep packing that green away......it will come in handy!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats !!!! Welcome in advance to the community, you will find and get plenty of help if needed and opinions here!!! Good Luck and Happy Camping !!!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let the fun begin!
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~