cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I thought with 17.5 tires my troubles were over

dezl_dr
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a new bigger RV and the tires were the 17.5 goodyear. With a tire like that I thought the constant checking and worry would be over.

Getting ready for a long trip in a few weeks. I had towed this rig about 2500 miles so far with out any issue.

I pulled the tires to check the lugs, brakes, bearings and rotate and balance the tires. A 16 ply is tough to get on and off the wheels but the shop managed.

First tire took 1.5 oz to balance and looked true and round. The second however hopped and wobbled like a bowl of jello. At 11 oz of weight and still not balanced I told them to stop.
I've noticed any time I had one bad tire the mate on the same axle would also be bad. I checked the other side and yep two bad tires. It may not be as bad, hasn't been on the balancer yet. I'll drop those off in the morning.

Bigger tires + bigger RV = the same troubles.

Rotate, balance and check your tires yearly and hopefully save yourself some headaches.
2014 F-350 DRW, 2010 Elite Suites 38'
16 REPLIES 16

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
Thanks for the heads up ,mine have been on the trailer since new 2008 and are perfect ,would use them again.
the reason these threads wander sometimes is I think people are too lazy to read from the beginning and only respond to the last post ,thereby losing 'the thread'

X2. 🙂
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
All brands, all sizes, will have some failures. The problem is to figure out the rate of failure.

Just because Brand X has "A" tire failure, does not mean brand x is bad. If that was the case, there would be NO tires to use, as they ALL have failures.

The question is, which ones have acceptable rates of failure, and which ones fail too much.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up ,mine have been on the trailer since new 2008 and are perfect ,would use them again.
the reason these threads wander sometimes is I think people are too lazy to read from the beginning and only respond to the last post ,thereby losing 'the thread'
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

dezl_dr
Explorer
Explorer
Several people don't bother to read the post before the advice starts.
G114 215/75/17.5, H rated tires.
18K# rv that sit way too much before I bought it.
The tire is evenly mounted on the wheel, the wheel was perfect on the balancer.
The tech shouldn't have tried to balance it when it wasn't round or true.

Maybe they wouldn't blow out, not a chance I'm willing to take. 3 of the 4 weren't true and I ordered 4 new ones.

I bought G114 again. Why??? several reasons. The tires have a 75mph tow rating.
they lasted 6 years by the date code and I've never heard of one blow out without warning. I feel the out of round and balance a warning.

I asked about sailun tires, several places, was told they wouldn't go that cheap.
The cheapest good tire was only 75 cheaper then what I bought.

I've been a fleet manager and tech for too many years, I posted just so others with the 17.5 tires might check theirs. I've made my mind up on my path.
2014 F-350 DRW, 2010 Elite Suites 38'

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I would personally take the tire to a GY dealer and have them look it over.

Since the hated GY G 16" tire has been mentioned. I have had two sets of the G's and never even a flat. They were dated in 07. Now have the GY H and never a problem.

My Dad had problems with the GY G's that came on his HH Premier. But GY took care of everything and since he replaced with 07 and newer tires there has not been a problem since.

If I had a tire go bad and it was the fault of my RV and GY replaced ALL my tires for free and I have since had no problems I personally would not even think of looking at another tire!

now now......That had to be directed at me:)....my tires were manufactured 0606, and again, the problem was with a sagging spring pack that caused the thread to come off one of my G614's tires, yet GY replaced ALL FOUR of my tires...BUT, THEY AIN'T CHEAP to buy, and my money tree since my daughter and two grand daughters have moved in with the wife and I has dried up to some extent. I will look at GY G614 because I've had zero issues with them and tow my 16,000# 5er on and around some fairly mountainous, curvy roads, BUT I will ALSO look at the reputation of the Sailun tires before I buy and will go with a cheaper cost tire if need be...unless they lose their Quality accreditations, I would have no problem buying the tires because I know what it takes to get these certifications....and unlike a lot of Chinese junk tires out there...THIS manufacturer has Quality processes in place in their manufacturing processes.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would personally take the tire to a GY dealer and have them look it over.

Since the hated GY G 16" tire has been mentioned. I have had two sets of the G's and never even a flat. They were dated in 07. Now have the GY H and never a problem.

My Dad had problems with the GY G's that came on his HH Premier. But GY took care of everything and since he replaced with 07 and newer tires there has not been a problem since.

If I had a tire go bad and it was the fault of my RV and GY replaced ALL my tires for free and I have since had no problems I personally would not even think of looking at another tire!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have read about G114 failures. And a few Sumitomo's. Any tire can fail, and without a TPMS system one does not know if there was a pressure loss before the failure.

The Michelin XTA offering seems to get the best rating, however it has the 100km issue that Michelin says can be over looked at the loading on a 8k or under axle.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
That much weights to balance....break tire bead and rotate tire on rim.
A 'tire guy' outta know that.

How much weight was on them previously?

You hit the nail on the head! Too many tire shops think that when their balancing machine says "0" it's got to be balanced correctly and they want to keep adding the weight till they get there.

If you find a shop that will play around with it and move the tire on the wheel it will roll smooth and ask for very little weight.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
If they are Goodyear 17.5, they are G114's and they are H load...have not read of a single problem anywhere on these tires.
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
dezl_dr wrote:

Bought a new bigger RV and the tires were the 17.5 goodyear.

With a tire like that I thought the constant checking and worry would be over.

First sentence might say it all.

Guessing they are G614s. Go on the Escapees HDT forum - most have "bigger" 5th wheels- most with 17.5 wheels and tires.
Search GY 614.
Some 'fans' here, not too many there.

The balance issues are secondary - and often more of an issue with certain brands. (Some have even been exchanged as "mission impossible" to balance).

YMMV...;)

Poster stated he already had 17.5" wheels/tires:h G614's are 16".

....and I need to defend myself here I feel....I have stated Im not necessarily a "fan" of GY G614's....I've just stated my experience with them since 07'......one tire lost it's thread, no air loss, we found out while tire was being taken off, the spring pack on that side of the axle was weak, (sagging drastically), and I had about an inch of clearance between wheel well and tire. Spring pack was replaced and zero issues with tires before or since, all towing in the mountains of WV, TN, NC, SC and VA, (and some pretty rough secondary roads in some of these states).....Even with GY seeing the same thing I did with the spring pack, they still replaced all 4 tires, no charge.. All that being said, I couldn't afford 5 17.5" wheels and tires...thus the reason, for quite some time, the "G" rated tire for me has been the GY G614, as it was basically, "the only game in tire"...BUT, now there are Sailun "G" rated tires which I see no bad reports on to date, and I will look at that them when it's time to change these tires..(now 4 years old and zero issues).

Again, according to the OP, unless he doesn't know what tire/wheel combo he has, his post states he has 17.5" tires.

Got off topic, but unless OP changed his title and tire size before I got here, they state they have 17.5" tires/wheels already.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
OP wrote he had 17.5" tires - definitely not G614's. Is it possible the tire guy was balancing the tire with a hub centric adapter rather than a lug centric one???
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You've got BadYear tires IMHO.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
dezl_dr wrote:

Bought a new bigger RV and the tires were the 17.5 goodyear.

With a tire like that I thought the constant checking and worry would be over.

First sentence might say it all.

Guessing they are G614s. Go on the Escapees HDT forum - most have "bigger" 5th wheels- most with 17.5 wheels and tires.
Search GY 614.
Some 'fans' here, not too many there.

The balance issues are secondary - and often more of an issue with certain brands. (Some have even been exchanged as "mission impossible" to balance).

YMMV...;)

Texasfour
Explorer
Explorer
Read this info ... Very accurate. Road force balancing and tire placement on rim
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoRideMatch.do

Rich