cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Induction Range top ??

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, I was watching a home remodel show the other day and saw a range top the is Induction only. You turn it to the heat setting you want and when you place an iron pan on it heats up. Take the pan off and the top is cool to the touch. I have searched but can not find anything. Does anyone know if they make that for RVs? :h
19 REPLIES 19

wander_ificould
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago currently uses the true induction cooktop on its all electric models. While steam is still released via the actual cooking process, another nice thing about this is that the health codes require no hood when utilizing this method of cooking since no gas is emitted.

http://www.trueinduction.com/rvinfo.aspx

Someone earlier referenced this model as well.

fredbon
Explorer
Explorer
I have used a Fagor portable for the last year, love the unit, probably used the LP stove twice. The Fagor unit is not cool to the touch after using, since the glass surface heats-up, however the heat dissipates faster than a conventional stove.

If we were to purchase a new unit, Induction Cooktop would be on the "must have" list.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie
Frankie & Scarlett, (The Cats)
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
2006 Saturn VUE

As I've Matured... I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I tried parchment paper used for baking on my NuWave. It did show dark burn colors, so I stopped doing so.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

cwill925
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
I think I would be very carefull putting a paper towel or any paper between the cooktop and pan. Granted there is no heat transfer, BUT the pan still heats up to 300 to 350 degrees to cook that bacon. The paper might not burst into flames, but I bet it sure turns a nice shade of Dark Brown. I think I'll pass on trying it.
OBTW we do have a portable cooktop that we use alot and are looking into trading RVs and if we do an Induction Cooktop will be in in.

The ignition temperature of paper is between 424 and 475 degrees. Your bacon will crispy before then. :B It's no different than baking a turkey in the oven using a brown paper bag. My mother used to do that and it never ignited. An appliance sales guy told me about the paper trick on an induction cooktop. As with any professional sales gimmick, I too was skeptical. I first tried it (out doors) by boiling water, then by frying some burgers. Worked OK, no fire. But please do be careful.
Chuck Williams
2015 Raptor 412-TS
2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
BMW K1600 GTL, Honda Rebel or a Smart Car in the Toyhauler.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I would be very carefull putting a paper towel or any paper between the cooktop and pan. Granted there is no heat transfer, BUT the pan still heats up to 300 to 350 degrees to cook that bacon. The paper might not burst into flames, but I bet it sure turns a nice shade of Dark Brown. I think I'll pass on trying it.
OBTW we do have a portable cooktop that we use alot and are looking into trading RVs and if we do an Induction Cooktop will be in in.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

army_guy1
Explorer
Explorer
nice job, really looks good.
Rick & Jana
Full timing since Oct 2005 - retired US Army Dec 2009
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 RAM 3500 Big Horn

ronfisherman
I installed a induction cook top over a year ago. DW loves it. While I was at it counter top was also replaced.
Here are a couple of pictures of my True Induction burner install.
Before

After
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

cwill925
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a Fagor portable cooktop from Kohl's a few months ago. Used it a few times with cast iron cookware. Really nice. Heats quickly and maintains a very constant temperature. If you're frying something like bacon that splatters, you can place paper over the cooktop, between the cook surface and the pan. Since there is no heat transfer between the cooktop and pan, the paper does not burn. When you're finished, toss the paper out and the cooktop and countertop are clean. We will probably add a full induction cooktop to our pans when we build a new house. The Fagor portable unit will be used in the RV.
Chuck Williams
2015 Raptor 412-TS
2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
BMW K1600 GTL, Honda Rebel or a Smart Car in the Toyhauler.

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
The new Landmarks come with induction cook top as standard...
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Ron,

The NuWave has no problems simmering. I can't speak about other brands.

lanerd wrote:
Also, I've heard that some of these induction units have a hard time "simmering".

Is any of this correct?

Ron
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
One of the Moderators on the "Class C" forum put an induction unit in his motorhome and loves it from what I understand.
Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's my understanding that if you have a two burner 1600 watt unit, that the two burners have to "share" that 1600 watts. In other words, if you want full power, you can only use one burner. If you use two burners, then they split the 1600 watts so that the two power setting will equal 1600 watts. So if you have the front burner using 900 watts, the back burner can only use 700 watts.

Also, I've heard that some of these induction units have a hard time "simmering".

Is any of this correct?

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, numerous High End 5ers are offering Induction Cook Tops as an option. We're actually looking at new units and it's high on our priority list along with Residential Fridge. Needless to say, we're not big BoonDockers.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Ropdoc wrote:
Does anyone know if they make that for RVs? :h

Almost all high-end diesel pushers are now coming in 'All Electric' versions as the standard - induction cooktop - two burners. (No propane at all - AquaHot, and residential fridge)

I saw two 5ers at two state samboree's this fall with 'All Electric' also.

They are coming to the trailer market - you might be a little ahead of the curve on wanting one.

Saw a fellow in a Casita last month who had replaced his cooktop with an induction unit like the one linked above.

My understanding is that there is no 'RV model' - that the regular units work just fine if the wiring will support them. The real question is do you want to replace your counter top for an inset model two burner, or purchase a 'hot plate' type unit which will sit on your existing counter.

As for where to buy - Amazon Clicky is a great source, but Camping World also carries a few 'hot plate' style units.

The TrueInduction units list a requirement for a dedicated 15 amp 120VAC circuit - the single burner is listed as 1,600 watts, the two burner models as 1,800 watts.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT