cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inspection / wheel bearings

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
So my fifth wheel is way over due for inspection and it's been a couple years since the wheel bearings have been checked. We have a local place here that I've never really cared too much for but they are close by and it's easy to get in and out.

I called them yesterday to see what days their inspector worked and also asked how much to repack the wheel bearings...... She said $250.00 an axle, $500.00 for just the labor! I was thinking about $225.00 total. She made it very clear that if the bearings were in need of work or replacement it would not pass inspection until fixed.

I've never repacked mine so my question is, 1.5 hours per wheel, does that even sound right?
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually
22 REPLIES 22

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Takes me three to four hours to repack bearings and check/adjust brakes. I suspect the pros are faster but I think the shop book says 1.1 hours per axle but not sure.

Make sure you have the seals on hand before you pull the old ones out.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
Yes, new bearings/new races always. They wear together so new bearings won't seat right with old races.
x2
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, new bearings/new races always. They wear together so new bearings won't seat right with old races.

Gearitis
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious as I only see one post pertaining to races. Do you all replace the races when you put in new bearings? When I farmed for decades, when we replaced bearings, we replaced the race.
2015 F-350 King Ranch
2015 Sabre Silhouette Select 312RKDS

Supreme_Oppress
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with changing the races with the bearings. I don't know why they are even available separately. Roller bearings are contact items - everything your roller experiences so does your race.

This brochure is a handy guide to analyzing the condition of your bearings.
2006 F350 6.0 diesel cc lb srw
2004 Jayco Jayflight 30.5BHS

All_about_the_B
Explorer
Explorer
When I checked mine last year, I found the rear seal had popped some time ago letting grease flood the brakes. Never noticed while towing. It was a mess to clean up and there was very slight discoloration on the inner bearing. On line search set me up with Dexter parts and it took a solid afternoon to hand repack the other bearings, replace the brake pads, seals, and clean each assembly. The blown hub got new bearings, races, seal and pads. Glad it is done, not that big a deal to do your self.
2003 Dodge Diesel 4X4 Quad
2019 Jayco 29.5 BHOK Fifth Wheel

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
A hitch and hop wrote:
I just repacked mine this week. New bearings and seals cost $42.00 Grease cost $12.00 I packed the eight new bearing before I pulled the wheels. Job consisted of pulling wheels, removing old bearings, wiping old grease from axel, knocking out old seal, install new inside "packed" bearing, install new seal, wiping new grease on hub add new grease to hub, install wheel and new "packed" outside bearing, install castle nut and cotter key, replace wheel, torque lug nuts. Time 15 minutes to pack 8 new bearings, 20 minutes to remove and replace old bearings per wheel. 4 hours to clean up ( just joking) I use latex gloves and plenty of old rags. If you can change a tire, you can replace wheel bearings. If the old bearings are good, stick them in a can an then use them next year when you repack bearings.

Seems very inexpensive for your parts. Just curious as to what kind of bearings do you have in your hubs. And are there races in the hubs? Doesn't sound like you replaced them.

Glad I read this, when I ordered my parts I got seals and bearings just in case I decided to replace them instead of just re-pack them. I didn't get the races, need to get those before I start. Looks like from what I see new bearings need new races...
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.

Cajun_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I recently brought my fiver in to have the bearings (Nev-r-lube) and brakes checked after over 5 yrs. on the road. Bearings were said to be okay (they said the way to check them is to just see if the torque is right), but one of the drums was scored bad (I saw the drum) and three brake assemblies needed replacing. Cost was $700+, but the NevRLube drum was $300+ by itself so I figured the price was fair.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
A hitch and hop wrote:
I just repacked mine this week. New bearings and seals cost $42.00 Grease cost $12.00 I packed the eight new bearing before I pulled the wheels. Job consisted of pulling wheels, removing old bearings, wiping old grease from axel, knocking out old seal, install new inside "packed" bearing, install new seal, wiping new grease on hub add new grease to hub, install wheel and new "packed" outside bearing, install castle nut and cotter key, replace wheel, torque lug nuts. Time 15 minutes to pack 8 new bearings, 20 minutes to remove and replace old bearings per wheel. 4 hours to clean up ( just joking) I use latex gloves and plenty of old rags. If you can change a tire, you can replace wheel bearings. If the old bearings are good, stick them in a can an then use them next year when you repack bearings.

Seems very inexpensive for your parts. Just curious as to what kind of bearings do you have in your hubs. And are there races in the hubs? Doesn't sound like you replaced them.

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Catrider1 wrote:
Whatever you do, don't let anyone place a jack under the center part of the axle. I got lazy a couple of years ago and after 6 months of towing I noticed the damage to my tires. Only cost me $1200 for 3 new axles. Axles were bent beyond repair. Since it took so long to find the tire damage I had no recourse but to pick up the bill myself.

Have you figured out yet why the manufacturer says to place the jack under the frame?:S
HR

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Four seals and labor on 2 3500 lb axles cost $153.00 just last week at a truck and axle shop. They do mostly trucks but quite a few campers also. I've seen trailers drive in from hours away to get their axles aligned. OP needs to find a place like this. Camper stores are always more expensive.

A_hitch_and_hop
Explorer
Explorer

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Ordered the parts yesterday, I have Al-Ko axles so it took some time to find the correct parts. Gonna re-pack them next week and then take it to the same guy that does my truck inspection.

billmac
Explorer
Explorer
I do mine every couple of years. Figure new brakes every other time.

Takes me a day to do the job. I cheat tho, I find me a helper who wants to earn a little cash assisting me. (That is them doing the harder, dirty, stuff) I just did mine last month and took us about 4 hours just to pack the bearings. BTW, I carry a laser thermometer to check hubs and tires while I am stretching my legs at rest stops.