cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing window unit a\c in slideout window ?

jimmyfred
Explorer
Explorer
...........I plan on installing a window unit a\c in a slide out window ! My greatest concern is coming up with a temporary , water proof cover to prevent any water infiltration while I'm cutting the plywood covers for both inside and outside the slide out wall .
...........I have considered a simple piece of 1\4 inch plywood attached by duck tape . Hopefully , it will work for the few days it takes me to cut and paint the plywood and install the a\c . , thanks , jf
2003 Chevy 8.1 Dually 2Wdr.
1999 Travel Supreme , 33 RLSS
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.
8 REPLIES 8

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
You might consider one of the new portable AC's that just run a snorkel to the window.
I used one at my moms house and I couldn't believe how well it worked.

Actually they are not "new".

Have used various models in my S&B for years - even though I have central A/C. (no more window A/Cs for me!)

Available in several BTU 'flavors', and heat if desired.

Not much floor space required - but some planning for the exhaust tube and H2O drains.
(IMO - the above is easier in a trlr than a S&B).

:C

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest a portable unit that has pipes that go through the window or you could use a hole saw (prefered). That way the weight stays in the house and the floor rather than a thin wall/window. Not that expensive by comparison to the rooftop unit. Buy the 2 pipe system (more money) but it is so much more effecient as the cooling air for the compressor is taken from outside and the cool air in the rv is the same all the time. No need to cool outside air over and over again.

jimmyfred
Explorer
Explorer
waltbennett wrote:
First off, even though you've a Travel Supreme, the walls aren't that thick or strong for any more than a very light one. You'll have to build a platform to fit your window frame tightly, with bracing on the outside to try keeping it all from pulling the window frame out. Don't think a little extra weight will bother the slide any, but I'd be careful about that window frame.

Why didn't you go for an indoor unit in the first place? We had our 15k unit fail last year just before we had to go to something we couldn't duck out of, and I got one from Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZKPNE6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and cut a plywood piece to fit a window for the two hoses. The thing worked very well in 85 degree heat & sun. After we got back home, I got a new AC unit for the roof and the indoor one replaced a window unit in our sticks & bricks home.

..........I have been using a 14,000btu Newair unit for the last 5 years ! The compressor died last Sept-16 . So , I still haven't decided IF I will get it fixed , we'll see . thanks , jf
2003 Chevy 8.1 Dually 2Wdr.
1999 Travel Supreme , 33 RLSS
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Real question is

WHY :H

This is not a good plan
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with Walt. Wall strength is a big issue.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You might consider one of the new portable AC's that just run a snorkel to the window.
I used one at my moms house and I couldn't believe how well it worked.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure the window you choose is not your ESCAPE WINDOW...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
First off, even though you've a Travel Supreme, the walls aren't that thick or strong for any more than a very light one. You'll have to build a platform to fit your window frame tightly, with bracing on the outside to try keeping it all from pulling the window frame out. Don't think a little extra weight will bother the slide any, but I'd be careful about that window frame.

Why didn't you go for an indoor unit in the first place? We had our 15k unit fail last year just before we had to go to something we couldn't duck out of, and I got one from Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZKPNE6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and cut a plywood piece to fit a window for the two hoses. The thing worked very well in 85 degree heat & sun. After we got back home, I got a new AC unit for the roof and the indoor one replaced a window unit in our sticks & bricks home.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.