cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interior door won't stay closed

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
Our bedroom door keeps popping open when we close it. We have to really pull it to close it and then it pops open. I don't want to have to drive it all the way to the dealer and am wondering if there is anything we can adjust to fix it ourselves.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax
7 REPLIES 7

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Loose hinge screws will also cause the door to fail to latch properly. Another reason is SOMETIMES the way the RV is stabelized. Too much weight on the stab jacks can put a slight bend in the frame which can also cause latching problems (but only when stabs are used). If you don't find any loose screws then aligning the latch plate with the door latch will probably fix it.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
fishingbob61 wrote:
You might have to shim out the striker plate.

If that's the problem, it would be less noticeable to shim the hinge.
Loosen the hinge screws, insert shims, possibly from a Kleenex box, 3/8 X the length of the hinge and put it under the pin side. Retighten the screws. That should move the door closer to the strike plate.. If that's not your problem, you're on your own.. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

fishingbob61
Explorer
Explorer
You might have to shim out the striker plate.
Bob and Sue
51 years camping
2005 Fleetwood Bounder DP
2004 Chevy. Tahoe

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
davosfam wrote:
Don't tell my hubby I said anything but he is not a carpenter...shhhh! Handy with cars but not with this kind of work. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'll check the doorjamb out this weekend but I don't think the part that sticks out of the door is long enough.

If the gap between the door and the casing is too wide, like more than 1/4", that could be the issue. Even easier to fix though.

Oh, and my lips are sealed. ๐Ÿ™‚
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
Don't tell my hubby I said anything but he is not a carpenter...shhhh! Handy with cars but not with this kind of work. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'll check the doorjamb out this weekend but I don't think the part that sticks out of the door is long enough.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Yeah, that's just a simple finish carpentry job. I'll bet you could sweettalk Rick into taking care of that. Might require a wood chisel and Phillips screwdriver. Might just be the Phillips screwdriver.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

rtazz17
Explorer
Explorer
Prolly need to adjust the latch in the door jam.I had to cut some material out and move the latch thing in door jam to adjust it.Very simple to do if you have someone who is even barely mechanically inclined.